PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Tutorio [Joke Class/Not a great joke/B- material optimistically]

gooddragon1
2019-10-25, 12:29 AM
Deleted content

noob
2019-10-25, 03:00 AM
It is lacking in class features at higher levels.
Or maybe there should be a class feature "what are you doing at a level this much high?"

DeTess
2019-10-25, 05:00 AM
The funny thing is, this might just have a higher skill floor than the fighter for new players. You get more skill points and a skill list that's fairly straight-forward, and it funnels you towards a play-style that's known to be fairly optimal. Maybe just give it the heedless charge option from the shocktrooper feat as class feature somewhere, and maybe pounce, and you're set :P

noob
2019-10-25, 07:04 AM
"Shouldn't you have taken a PrC by now?"

Though the class feature would maybe need to be very simple.

It could be just that at level 4 you gain a class feature saying "you can not gain more levels in this class"(and make the table have only the 4 first levels indicated)

noob
2019-10-25, 03:27 PM
It's got to be simple. I was tempted to add pounce, but just short of doing it.

Thought of the class feature...

Shouldn't you have taken a PrC by now?(Ex)

At 10th level, a tutorio is treated as meeting all prerequisites for any prestige class with base attack bonus progression equal to prestige class level other than being of epic level (21+). The tutorio might not benefit from some aspects of prestige classes (such as casting progression).

Edit: not simple enough though :/

I still think that capping levels in that class would be more simple.

kinem
2019-10-26, 04:20 PM
The worst thing about this class is the name.

Edit: 'Bruiser' might work as a name for the class.

There's nothing wrong with the idea of a fixed-feat fighter, which is to the fighter as the warmage or beguiler is to the sorcerer. It should receive a few extra bonuses to compensate for the lack of flexibility and options, that's all. In this case, the extra hp, Will save, and skill points might be enough. It's not worth sticking with the class, but the first few levels are maybe too good, since a fighter could dip into the class and needs a reason not to.

This class also works well for making NPC warriors that are easy to build and reasonably effective. I'd say that is mostly how it would be used.

Personally I like to mix in a few magical abilities as well, to provide more options, an explanation for superhuman abilities, and just as a personal preference to have some "FX" abilities in the mix.