PDA

View Full Version : Interesting idea... Take one lesser-used feat for free...

samcifer
2019-10-25, 07:13 AM
So we're going to start our evil campaign next weekend and one of the players had the idea of each of us getting a free feat among a list of lesser-used ones. Here's the ones we could choose one from:

Actor
Athlete
Charger
Dungeon Delver
Grappler
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Linguist
Observant
Skulker
Tavern Brawler

I decided to go with Athlete for the +1 DEX as well as the benefits. The great part is there was an option to take for any of us wanting another +1 as we are using point buy for our stats this time around and are starting at lv. 3. We also had to work in a little story bit into our pc's background as to why they had that feat.

I know that not all of these feats are undesirable ones such as Inspiring Leader and Observant as well as Linguist, but I really liked the idea of a free feat and having to give a reason your pc has it.

Are there any pother feats you would add? What are your thoughts on this concept?

Respectful replies only, please. No more flaming c***.

:)

nickl_2000
2019-10-25, 07:20 AM
I would consider:
Lightly Armored
Moderately Armored
Heavy Armor
Mounted Combatant
Skilled
Weapon Master

I would also at least consider all of the racial feats from X's other than Elven Accuracy.

Asensur
2019-10-25, 07:30 AM
With all respects, I personally think that would not solve the issue of imbalance between feats, but will worsen it by adding another layer (combination between feats).

It is better to tune underused feats and/or leaving them as they are.

nickl_2000
2019-10-25, 07:33 AM
With all respects, I personally think that would not solve the issue of imbalance between feats, but will worsen it by adding another layer (combination between feats).

It is better to tune underused feats and/or leaving them as they are.

Agreed, but what it does do it let you develop your characters personality and uniqueness more from the beginning. It is actually pretty common to give away a feat from free at level 1, and I've heard of this exact method being done fairly often.

Frozenstep
2019-10-25, 09:09 AM
For my game, I told my players they could all get a half-feat for free to start with (except no resilient/elven accuracy), but they don't get the +1 stat from it.

One player chose keen mind and man, it's been insane. Hear a rapid conversation in a language you don't understand? Recite it perfectly to other party member who can translate.

chando
2019-10-25, 09:09 AM
I find it a great idea and will likely implement in my next campaing.

I'm not against the other house-rule of just allowing anyfeat at start either, but this is more controled and has less "ultraefficient build comming online too early" problem (say sharpshooter + Crossbow Expert at @4th), more incentive for the player to put an effort in the character history. No heavy armor master at @1 either unless alowing variant human.

Would allow the list that nickl_2000 mentioned but the Weapon Master I would either give something to its effect like a figthing style or +1 to Str or Dex to the Weapon Master feat or give proficiency with all simple and martial weapons period.

Spiritchaser
2019-10-25, 09:28 AM
This has the effect of strengthening the more feat and ASI starved builds. That isn’t horrible, but it does change things.

I’d also note that some of these feats are, in some builds, quite strong.

As such, a build which can make especially good use of one of these under used feats stands to be relatively stronger than it would otherwise be.

Observant, inspiring Leader and skulker, I’m looking at you.

Skylivedk
2019-10-25, 09:33 AM
We did something like it, but with a few changes:

- mostly non-combat feats (receipt charger because it's that bad)
- no ability bonus
- freedom to make a feat on the level of actor to fit character background instead

We've since expanded the system a lot and our next step is probably to make something like a pf2/5e hybrid

Waterdeep Merch
2019-10-25, 10:28 AM
Wait, other parties don't make room for Inspiring Leader and Healer?

I mean, I can understand that from AL players at least, I guess. But the combination of those has made every party I've ever been with obscenely durable. A big discussion is who ends up taking them, and it's normally a bit of a fight because the font of HP/THP winds up pretty popular.

Skylivedk
2019-10-25, 10:41 AM
Wait, other parties don't make room for Inspiring Leader and Healer?

I mean, I can understand that from AL players at least, I guess. But the combination of those has made every party I've ever been with obscenely durable. A big discussion is who ends up taking them, and it's normally a bit of a fight because the font of HP/THP winds up pretty popular.

Healer could be

Waterdeep Merch
2019-10-25, 11:34 AM
Healer could be
I kind of get it, since most players don't seem to necessarily consider their party's effectiveness as much as their own. But with how much everyone always screams for a healer, you'd think someone would look at the feat that's essentially "scaling healing potions for every single member of the party that refreshes on a short rest and costs 100x less".

And don't get me started on all the rogues! I'd rather see a thief with healer than any assassin or swashbuckler, ever.

nickl_2000
2019-10-25, 11:45 AM
I kind of get it, since most players don't seem to necessarily consider their party's effectiveness as much as their own. But with how much everyone always screams for a healer, you'd think someone would look at the feat that's essentially "scaling healing potions for every single member of the party that refreshes on a short rest and costs 100x less".

And don't get me started on all the rogues! I'd rather see a thief with healer than any assassin or swashbuckler, ever.

I feel like the healer feat is often overlooked since it isn't "sexy." It's reliable, it steady, and it's always useful, but it doesn't add extra damage. I took it at level 1 for a variant human Moon Druid until level 17, there was not a single session where I didn't use it at least 8 times.

Stone-Ears
2019-10-25, 12:02 PM
Dang, looks like I'll need to consider using healer for some of my future builds then. I favor variant humans just because I love the free feat at level 1

Waterdeep Merch
2019-10-25, 12:14 PM
I was in a party with a dedicated life cleric. I was an eldritch knight/war wizard with the healer feat.

Everyone came to me for heals, since they were so much cheaper than spell slots. People started tossing me extra gold to cover the kits (and new spells, I was much loved). They often forgot we even had a life cleric.

ezekielraiden
2019-10-25, 01:06 PM
Definitely seconding putting Skilled on that list. Most characters never get more than the basic 4 skills, and that's kind of a shame, as skills are a great way to demonstrate the contours of a character. If you consider it too strong, you could require that it include at least one artisan tool proficiency.

nickl_2000
2019-10-25, 01:08 PM
Would allow the list that nickl_2000 mentioned but the Weapon Master I would either give something to its effect like a figthing style or +1 to Str or Dex to the Weapon Master feat or give proficiency with all simple and martial weapons period.

I never made claims on if a feat was worthwhile or that it doesn't need a boost, just if it would fit into the "this is normally not taken" camp. It's hard to argue that it is overpowered at all.

samcifer
2019-10-25, 04:38 PM
One player who's going to be a paladin got the dm's permission to take prodigy and chose intimidation for his free feat

MaxWilson
2019-10-25, 04:44 PM
So we're going to start our evil campaign next weekend and one of the players had the idea of each of us getting a free feat among a list of lesser-used ones. Here's the ones we could choose one from:

Actor
Athlete
Charger
Dungeon Delver
Grappler
Healer
Inspiring Leader
Keen Mind
Linguist
Observant
Skulker
Tavern Brawler

It would best to take the feats in bold off the list--they are excellent and IME common choices, and if you leave them in the list they are clearly the best picks.

If you exclude Healer, Inspiring leader, and Skulker, you're left with a bunch of feats that people might want to take for the ability score bonuses attached to them. Should probably exclude those as well (say "these free feats don't include the +1 ASI").

That leaves you with a bunch of situational but interesting free feats that people can choose from based on their own taste. E.g. someone might actually select Charger or Linguist or Grappler from that list, and it isn't a sacrifice but it does add something interesting to their character.

Personally I'd probably go with Charger, Actor, or Tavern Brawler, depending on the character.

I was in a party with a dedicated life cleric. I was an eldritch knight/war wizard with the healer feat.

Everyone came to me for heals, since they were so much cheaper than spell slots. People started tossing me extra gold to cover the kits (and new spells, I was much loved). They often forgot we even had a life cleric.

That is straight-up hilarious.