PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Munchkins Anonymous support group...

Drache64
2019-10-25, 11:17 AM
Hello Everyone my name is Drache,

*Hi Drache*

I haven't munchkined in over a year.... but having trouble with my current character choosing story driven RP abilities over tactical advantages....

My DM let me play Mystic (I said I was recovering OK!), I picked the class because you can create anything you want with a huge range of customization and figured the freedom to RP was going to be hugely complimented by the flexibility of the class options.

At level 3 I get 4 disciplines, I wanted to RP my character as a Thanos/Darkseid type. He is a Goliath Mystic who uses Mind Thrust (1d10 psychic cantrip) like Omega beams and uses his mental abilities to convince others he is a demigod (Telepathic Contact discipline to charm people and make them believe statements I make). He then uses Brute force discipline to Amp his physical stats and dominate in Melee combat.

I keep looking at other disciplines like Mastery of Ice that gives me +20 temp HP as a bonus action, lasts the whole day, and only costs me 3 of my 14 Power Points.... I keep clenching my eyes shut and chanting "Ice has nothing to do with your character, don't munchkin! DON'T MUNCHKIN!!!!"

I chose to pick Nomadic Mind for my character representing my characters super intelligence (as a bonus action gains proficiency with any skill, any tools, and can read/write any language). It was my way of RPing a super mind type and staying away from combat abilities. But the DM vetoed Nomadic Mind because this campaign focuses on puzzle solving and dungeon diving and he said being able to read any language limits him as a DM.

Now I am back to looking at all these really tactical OP disciplines... pray for me brothers and sisters....

TLDR: Recovering Munchkin trying playing a Mystic

Feel free to chastise me, tell me to stop playing mystic, or confess your own munchkin struggles below

zinycor
2019-10-25, 12:02 PM
I refuse to give up my munchkin ways

InvisibleBison
2019-10-25, 12:04 PM
Unless your character is incredibly reckless or doesn't think they can die, I don't see how taking a single defensive ability is in any way incompatible with roleplaying.

Jerrykhor
2019-10-26, 04:48 PM
I feel you. I also played the Mystic for about 2 years. The way i limited myself from munchkinry was to try to stick to a character concept as much as possible. I tried to copy Psylocke's style of fighting, limiting myself to only what she used. I still can't help but stick to the really powerful Disciplines like Psychic Assault. I still took stuff like Bestial Form and refluff them. Even took Giant Growth and asked the DM to replace the size increase to something else. But he was alright with it, and in the end, i was happy with how my character turned out too.

The most important thing is not to overshadow your party members, and though i was pretty versatile, i could not out-damage the min-maxed paladin, or out-support the cleric, or out-skill the Rogue. Some of Mystics abilities are still super powerful despite being limited to 'level 5'.

Just take the Mastery of Ice if you want, its not even the worst munchkinry you could do (its actually Nomadic Mind's focus, that **** is super broken).