PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for suggestions on mad scientist Bard build

CloakedLight
2019-10-25, 11:51 AM
Greetings. Just hit level 10 on College of Eloquence Bard and just wanted some suggestions on what spells would match my character's theme.

So the character is like a mad scientist. He wants to modify creatures to improve them. My inspiration was Abathur from Starcraft. Why bard and not wizard? Spell selection is one reason. Another is i like the idea of a singing scientist who's experiments work because of plucking the musical notes of creation. Hm, I feel like a Disney villain now. Character isn't evil, just a lizardfolk.

Current spells are
0th- Blade Ward, Mending (lv 10 cantrip), Prestidigitation, and Vicious Mockery
1st- Cure Wounds (would have taken healing word but the surgeon scientist approach made me think the touch property was more appropriate), Identify, and Sleep
2nd- Locate Animals and Plants (Taken to help find specimens. Will probably replace at higher lv), and See invisibility (Just wanted to play with it)
3rd- Dispel Magic, and Plant Growth (Life modification was why I took this one)
4th- Locate Creature (again finding specimens), Find Greater Steed (Lv10 Magical Secret), and Dimension Door (Looking to replace this one)
5th- Awaken (Life modification), Hold Monster (contain specimen and also help in combat), and Raise Dead (Life modification. Don't worry if i fail the experimental implant I can bring you back!)

So looking for final magical secret and a replacement for dimension door. Really just looking for ideas to ponder. Need suggestions by tonight as session is tomorrow. Ty for feedback!

Edit: Ended up going with Giant Insect for magical secret (feels sci fi), and replace dimension door with Hypnotic Pattern (ty for suggestion!) If anyone else has feedback on the build it is always appreciated for when i get other levels!

Wildarm
2019-10-25, 01:19 PM
Hypnotic Pattern(This won't hurt a bit), Polymorph(Test out some new forms), Planar Binding(Fiendish Assistants), Modify Memory(Forget that thing I just put inside you) and Banishment(Bah, lets get rid of this failure) would all be suitable to a mad experimenter.

Wrath of Nature might be a good magical secret. Twist the natural world to your whim.
Circle of Power might be another possibility - For dealing with those particularly nasty subjects

CloakedLight
2019-10-25, 09:37 PM
Hypnotic Pattern(This won't hurt a bit), Polymorph(Test out some new forms), Planar Binding(Fiendish Assistants), Modify Memory(Forget that thing I just put inside you) and Banishment(Bah, lets get rid of this failure) would all be suitable to a mad experimenter.

Wrath of Nature might be a good magical secret. Twist the natural world to your whim.
Circle of Power might be another possibility - For dealing with those particularly nasty subjects

Interesting. Ty for added flavor btw!

Hypnotic Pattern was not one that I considered. Lets me get away from nasty specimens while incapacitating them. Has combat use too.
I wish banishment worked like that at a higher spell cast or something but sadly i would banish them for a minute and then they would be back lol.
Planar binding would be fun but i feel it takes too much work to actually use it (like keeping something captive for an hour and even then it doest last long until higher levels.)
Modify Memory might be fun...hm...slighty iffy on it but...maybe...
Wrath of Nature worries me because it requires a certain situation to do anything from how I read it.
Circle of Power is another one where I kinda like it, but at the same time feel like most bio experiments wouldn't be casting spells at me and so it feels off.