PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ur-Priest questions - what about DFA entry?

Khedrac
2019-10-26, 03:01 AM
Looking at the various suggested builds for Ur-Priests I failed to find any discussion of Dragonfire Adept as the base class.

DFA has the advantage that all the skills for an Ur-Priest are class skills, and the two saves required are both good saves, this should permit entry at level 6 without the use of any tricks that can be objected to.
I also notice that the starting DFA can push wisdom because the only stat really needed is constitution and thus wisdom can easly be made a high stat even on comparitively low point-buys.

So, my question to all the more-skilled optimizers is, "is this worth doing?"
With the follow-up question, "what class would you go into afterwards?"

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-26, 04:05 AM
Seems an obvious choice for an eldritch disciple build.

It's just that the invocation users tend to get the short end of the stick in these discussions because they're just so much less powerful than true spellcasters. If you're going to theurge, why not go full caster on both sides?

DarkSoul
2019-10-26, 06:58 AM
I second the eldritch disciple idea. I've got an entire npc faction of them with warlock/ur-priest entry in my campaign.

Celestia
2019-10-26, 08:57 PM
Technically, Ur-Priest cannot go eldritch disciple without house ruling as one of the prerequisites for the class is that one must worship a chaotic or evil god.

vasilidor
2019-10-26, 09:11 PM
I'd allow it, otherwise ask the DM. always ask DM. (ur-priest into eldritch disciple)

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-26, 09:21 PM
Technically, Ur-Priest cannot go eldritch disciple without house ruling as one of the prerequisites for the class is that one must worship a chaotic or evil god.

Adaptation section: dead god.

Even then, it was very recently pointed out to me that the rules text for Ur-priest doesn't explicitly say they can't worship gods, even though all the fluff text says they hate them, only that they can't be able to cast divine spells before entering.

I tend to play fast and loose with deity oriented requirements when I'm the GM, so that tends to color my thinking on these things too.