PDA

View Full Version : Mix-N-Match Subclasses

cajbaj
2019-10-26, 07:01 PM
Let's say that any class can take any subclass, gaining their features at the times when the base class would gain subclass features. For instance, a Level 1 Battle Master sorcerer gets spellcasting and the level 3 Battlemaster feature.

If a subclass feature refers to a feature the base class does not have, they gain a number of uses of it equal to 1/3 their level, rounded down, and regain it on whatever type of rest the subclass's base class gets. For instance, 1 Rage per long rest or 1 Ki point per short rest.

To keep things focused we'll disallow multiclassing.

What fun builds can you think of to make with this? I think a Eagle Totem monk could be goofy fun.

strangebloke
2019-10-26, 07:38 PM
This leads to hilariously overpowered builds as different classes get different amounts of stuff from their subclasses. Rangers get a lot, barbarians get little.

One example: life cleric wizard. Oh look, it's a wizard in full plate who can heal effectively

Then too most subclasses interact with core class features and therefore shouldn't do anything in combination with other classes, like moon druid.

nickl_2000
2019-10-26, 08:04 PM
Any caster with order Cleric
Anyone Cha based with Paladin auras.
A rogue with arcane archer things.

In the end its could be pretty broken.

Misterwhisper
2019-10-26, 08:29 PM
It would not be too broken but I so want a battle master rogue.

Zhorn
2019-10-26, 08:47 PM
In the end its could be pretty broken.

While prone to insane power creep, as long as all players are working under the same rules, and the DM adjusts encounter difficulty accordingly, then it should be fine.

Broken-ness comes into play when it's just one player compared to everyone else (or generally where a small subset of the group is playing by a different set of rules).

In any case; I'd just go simple with a half-orc barbarian champion fighter. Keep the mechanic interactions between the classes simple and just aim for getting those crits with a handful of d12's as often as possible.

cajbaj
2019-10-27, 05:46 AM
I think an Oath of Redemption Warlock could be fun. Be the party face, rebuke that wickedness, and focus your oath into literal laser beams.

Eldritch Knight Rogue would be kind of absurd as soon as you hit level 7. Throwing out bonus action attacks after spells so you can tank with Blade Ward and still throw out Sneak Attack.

School of Necromancy or perhaps Death Domain Bard for that Dirgesinger feel.

CNagy
2019-10-27, 06:51 AM
Enter the Gloom Stalker Fighter, aka the Cuisinart.

T.G. Oskar
2019-10-27, 07:04 AM
Eldritch Knight Paladin. You'd get access to the Wizard's spell list up to 4th level, while still getting the better progression from the Paladin itself. You also get cantrips, including those like Booming Blade, and with War Magic and Improved War Magic, you can make attacks after your cantrips and (few) attack spells. This is roughly decent to combine Booming Blade with an attack, cast a Smite spell beforehand, and then go nova with two attacks empowered by Divine Smite. And, since the OP mentioned that you'd get uses of an ability equal to one per three levels on a class feature you don't have, you get up to six uses of Action Surge per short rest (which is a LOT MORE than the Fighter gets; OP, you might want to fix that to "1/3 your level or the minimum amount at the specified level, whichever is smaller, up to their maximum resource -1. I mean, can you imagine the Paladin going nova six times per short rest?) Also: Attack, Smite spell, enemy makes next attack at disadvantage because of Eldritch Strike. Lot more gains than losses (no Channel Divinity options, for example, or an actual capstone)

Alternatively, Hexblade Paladin. Most of the spells are redundant and you'd need to prepare the few you lack, but you get a fair amount of defensive spells nonetheless. However, the most important thing here is that you get Hex Warrior without the need to multiclass, so you end up as a pure Cha-based class. No Pact of the Blade feature, though.

Other fun combinations: Life Domain Druid (no Healing Word or Mass Healing Word, but you still get Goodberry and Healing Spirit buffed by Disciple of Life), Celestial Patron Cleric (a source of tremendous healing, plus you get two free cantrips and add your Charisma, even though you're a Wis-based class, to radiant or fire-based damage, which is most of the damage you deal anyways), Arcane Trickster Bard (Magical Ambush on a full spellcaster with access to Wizard spells on their list, with only a handful from any school, coupled with what they get from Magical Secrets, all the while being able to steal the knowledge of spells of essentially any level?), Champion Barbarian (gets a Fighting Style at 10th level, 1/2 proficiency in initiative, the ability to mix easy advantage with increased critical hit chance, and Survivor on a class that gets resistance to most weapon attacks practically makes you unkillable), College of Swords Rogue (gets a fighting style, Extra Attack, a source of Bardic Inspiration up to a d8 which can be used for extra damage in addition to Sneak Attack).

MrStabby
2019-10-27, 07:29 AM
Conquest cleric sprang to mind.

The fear channel divinity is crazy powerful. Having it quickly become twice per short rest is a big uplift. Likewise the domain spells are a really nice addition. The level 7 aura is nice, but imagine how much nicer it is with as many feat spells as a full caster and the more regular channel divinity.

Sorcerer + anything with domain spells seems good.

Thematically, bard and enchanted.wizard would be fun. Dual dissonant whispers at level 10 and dual vicious mockery at will would be nice.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 07:59 AM
A shadow sorcerer and a shadow monk will be funny.

I think a shadow paladin (both shadows looks good for me) or lore sorcerer will be fun.

Maybe a hexblade fighter or paladin.

MrStabby
2019-10-27, 08:35 AM
A shadow sorcerer and a shadow monk will be funny.

I think a shadow paladin (both shadows looks good for me) or lore sorcerer will be fun.

Maybe a hexblade fighter or paladin.

I think hexblade will work with most things. If nothing else, I gather that the domain spells require spell slots so the archetype would give spell slots equal to a third of the number a Warlock of the same level would have. Assuming that each subclass switches to the key stat of the main class then hexblade monk could be abusive (I.e. use wisdom rather than charisma to make attacks).

I could also love some of the ranger stuff. Things like the monster Hunter archetype seems really cool but the key features come too late and are on a base that doesn't thrill me. On a rogue they could be fun. On a cleric I think you would get them a lot sooner.

Some things may not be intended to stack. Cleric style potent spellcasting on top of agonising blast for warlocks for example (if references to the main class are all swapped as well).

There are some options that might be opened up to be a lot better. A solid martial cleric by taking a swords bard subclass might be decent. The inspiration I assume would be equal to the modifier still and go to modifier per short rest at level 15? Given you would pick up flourishes without needing inspiration so much earlier (from memory I think level 8 rather than 14) you could be pretty badass. A melee powerhouse on a bard is good enough but free access to spells like spirit guardians is kind of awesome on top.

PhantomSoul
2019-10-27, 10:23 AM
Another thing to consider is how you manage subclass features that presuppose a class feature -- for example, Path of the Totem Warrior's Totem Spirit gives a boost to your Rage... but if there's no Rage as a Class Feature for you, you likely gain no benefit without Multiclassing.

CNagy
2019-10-27, 10:27 AM
Another thing to consider is how you manage subclass features that presuppose a class feature -- for example, Path of the Totem Warrior's Totem Spirit gives a boost to your Rage... but if there's no Rage as a Class Feature for you, you likely gain no benefit without Multiclassing.

I think that's covered under "you get that class feature at 1/3 your level in uses, round down." So a 20th level Totem Warrior Bard-barian would have 6 rages. Which actually makes it more useful to pick a subclass that at least in part augments some features that you don't have.

PhantomSoul
2019-10-27, 10:34 AM
I think that's covered under "you get that class feature at 1/3 your level in uses, round down." So a 20th level Totem Warrior Bard-barian would have 6 rages. Which actually makes it more useful to pick a subclass that at least in part augments some features that you don't have.

Completely forgot about that by the time I'd gone through some comments, oops! Good catch -- it does make cross-class stuff extra potent if it's the full version of the feature (e.g. getting only the totem boost but no base Rage benefits vs. getting full rage and the totem boost).

nickl_2000
2019-10-27, 11:38 AM

If that's the case, I would adore a Rogue with the Shadow Monk subclass. It would make for an amazingly fun character.

MrStabby
2019-10-27, 12:46 PM
If that's the case, I would adore a Rogue with the Shadow Monk subclass. It would make for an amazingly fun character.

Yeah, that seems cool. Actually both of these classes seem like they could offer a lot.

Rogue:

Rogue with valor bard: get bardic inspiration at level 3 - the same number per long rest a level 1 bard would get. At level 9 pick up an extra attack. At level 14 you would pick up spellcasting and a few spells known and get bonus action attacks when casting a spell. Whispers bard let's you tag on even more damage to an atrack. Lore bard gives you spellcasting at level 6 with a couple of spells of your choice.

Shadowmonk kind of turns anything into a skirmisher. Warlock is kind of the obvious start for darkness and devils sight and shadowstepping, but it could also make for a cool paladin with a load of extra utility and flexibility.

The ideas are probably more fun in the planning than the playing, as the balance is probably not quite right. Still a light cleric blade pact Warlock seems lime it would be genuinely fun to play.

Spectrulus
2019-10-27, 01:02 PM
An old classic. Barbarian of the Moon. Rage bear, carry two extra pools of HP when needed.

JNAProductions
2019-10-27, 01:05 PM
An old classic. Barbarian of the Moon. Rage bear, carry two extra pools of HP when needed.

Wait-you actually get only one Wild Shape till level 5, then you get two at 6, three at 9, four at 12...

Something's up there. :P

8wGremlin
2019-10-27, 02:42 PM
wait-you actually get only one wild shape till level 5, then you get two at 6, three at 9, four at 12...

Something's up there. :p

per long rest...

ION: Actually when they originally said that D&D5 was going to be modular, this is what I hoped for.

Pick a class (you get the base abilities only )
Pick a source of power (Divine, Arcane, Fae, Martial, Fiend, Nature, Unlife; each one gives a different thematic bonus)
Pick an archetype (from all the archetypes)
Pick a background (from all the backgrounds)

JNAProductions
2019-10-27, 02:46 PM
If a subclass feature refers to a feature the base class does not have, they gain a number of uses of it equal to 1/3 their level, rounded down, and regain it on whatever type of rest the subclass's base class gets. For instance, 1 Rage per long rest or 1 Ki point per short rest.

Not quite...

MrStabby
2019-10-27, 04:20 PM
Hmm. I had read this as a number of uses equal to that of a character of the base class of one third their level... If it is a number of uses equal to a third their level then that could change a lot.

Channel divinity options need a use of channel divinity. So you automatically get more uses than a cleric from level 9 onwards?

rickayelm
2019-10-27, 04:33 PM
I think the most powerful options are to combine eldritch knight or arcane trickster with a half faster class of the deadlock classs.

The half casters end up with 18th level spellcasting, while the deadlock gains many added spells per day filling in their only real weakness.

I would personally pick arcane trickster with a chain pact warlock.

cajbaj
2019-10-27, 06:00 PM
Realized a flaw. I just rushed the idea out, but I think number of uses of a feature you would get at 1/3 the level of the subclass's base class would work. That way, the maximum never exceeds the subclass Base Class's maximum.

Additionally, we're going to lay down some terms.
"Class" refers to the class of the character, whereas "Base Class" or "BClass" refers to the class the subclass you choose would normally be attached to.

"Barbarian Class" is a player that's a barbarian and "Barbarian BClass" refers to Barbarian in the context of its Primal Paths.

So a character would get uses of features (and size of feature dice) referrered to in the subclass equal to what they would have at 1/3 the Base Class's level, rounded down. Minimum of 1, and it cannot exceed the maximum outlined in the Base Class at 1/3 the Base Class's level.

E.G. a level 15 Kensei Fighter would get 5 Ki points, and a Level 10 Glamour Wizard would get 3 d6 bardic inspiration, unless their Charisma mod was lower than that, because that's the maximum.

8wGremlin
2019-10-27, 06:20 PM
How about this:

Archetype steps:
Whenever your base class says you get a Feature, Druid circle, Monastic Tradition etc you advance one STEP in the Archetype, you gain all the abilities and effects of that Archetypes step. (a STEP is all the features the archetypes gets at that level)

Class abilities
If the Step refers to a power such as Rage, Bardic Inspiration etc. You gain a limited use of that ability. You gain a number of uses of that ability as if you were the base class of your level. However it doesn't have any other benefits besides what your archetype allows you.

For instance: if you pick Path of the Totem Warrior, you'll get the rage ability that goes with it, a number of time as per the Barbarian class of your level, BUT you won't get the Barbarians Rage benefits. Such as

You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

But you do get the penalties: can't rage in heavy armour and if you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while raging.

But if you picked BEAR totem you would get:

While raging, you have resistance to all damage except psychic damage. The spirit of the bear makes you tough enough to stand up to any punishment.

Kane0
2019-10-27, 07:07 PM
Let's make a party!

Way of the Long Death Cleric
Fiend Patron Fighter
Gloom Stalker Rogue
Divine Soul Wizard
Circle of the Shepherd Bard

8wGremlin
2019-10-27, 07:36 PM
Let's make a party!

Fiend Patron Fighter
Gloom Stalker Rogue
Divine Soul Wizard

Ok lets take the first one -

First up you're a cleric, so your base class features are set as Cleric:

At 1st level you get Spellcasting, Divine Domain

now Divine Domain -> STEP 1 on Way of the Long Death Archetype, which gives you:
Touch of Death
Your study of death allows you to extract vitality from another creature as it nears its demise. When you reduce a creature within 5 feet of you to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier + your monk base class level (minimum of 1 temporary hit point).

At 2nd level you get Channel Divinity (x1), Divine Domain feature
Divine Domain feature -> STEP +1 on Way of the Long Death Archetype, which gives you:
Hour of Reaping
You gain the ability to unsettle or terrify those around you as an action, for your soul has been touched by the shadow of death. When you take this action, each creature within 30 feet of you that can see you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

At 6th when the Cleric gets it's next Divine Domain feature
Divine Domain feature -> STEP +1 on Way of the Long Death Archetype, which gives you:
Mastery of Death
You use your familiarity with death to escape its grasp. When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can expend 1 ki point (no action required) to have 1 hit point instead.

Note: you don't have any Ki at the moment, but when you get this you would have Ki of a 6th level monk. so 6 ki, you can only spend this ki on Mastery of Death, as you have no other Ki powered features. At 8th when the Cleric gets it's next Divine Domain feature

Touch of the Long Death Your touch can channel the energy of death into a creature. As an action, you touch one creature within 5 feet of you, and you expend 1 to 10 Ki points. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, and it takes 2d10 necrotic damage per ki point spent on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Note: you have 6 Ki at the moment, but as you have a new feature you get Ki as an 8th level Monk, so 8 Ki, and you can use that Ki on either 'Mastery of Death' or 'Touch of the Long Death'

Lastly at level 17 when the Cleric gets it's next Divine Domain feature, you won't get anything, as there are no more steps in the Way of the Long Death Archetype. Oh well, perhaps you should multi class?

8wGremlin
2019-10-27, 07:48 PM
Fiend Patron Fighter
Fighters get features at levels: 3,7,10, 15, 18.

So would get
Dark One's Blessing @ 3rdWhen you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum of 1).

Dark One's Own Luck @ 7th
You can call on your patron to alter fate in your favor. When you make an ability check or a saving throw, you can use this feature to add a d10 to your roll. You can do so after seeing the initial roll but before any of the roll's effects occur.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Fiendish Resilience @10th
You can choose one damage type when you finish a short or long rest. You gain resistance to that damage type until you choose a different one with this feature. Damage from magical weapons or silver weapons ignores this resistance.

Hurl Through Hell @15th
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to instantly transport the target through the lower planes. The creature disappears and hurtles through a nightmare landscape.

At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the space it previously occupied, or the nearest unoccupied space. If the target is not a fiend, it takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from its horrific experience.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Nothing @ 18th

----
Gloom Stalker Rogue
Rogues get features at 3,9,13,17

Dread Ambusher @ 3rd
You master the art of the ambush. You can give yourself a bonus to your initiative rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier.

At the start of your first turn of each combat, your walking speed increases by 10 feet, which lasts until the end of that turn. If you take the Attack action on that turn, you can make one additional weapon attack as part of that action. If that attack hits, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type.

Umbral Sight @ 3rd
You gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.

Extra Attack @ 9th
You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Iron Mind @ 13th
You have honed your ability to resist the mind-altering powers of your prey. You gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have this proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in Intelligence or Charisma saving throws (your choice).

Stalker's Flurry @ 17th
At 11th level, you learn to attack with such unexpected speed that you can turn a miss into another strike. Once on each of your turns when you miss with a weapon attack, you can make another weapon attack as part of the same action.

And you don't get Shadowy Dodge!
You can dodge in unforeseen ways, with wisps of supernatural shadow around you. Whenever a creature makes an attack roll against you and doesn't have advantage on the roll, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on it. You must use this feature before you know the outcome of the attack roll.

8wGremlin
2019-10-27, 07:57 PM
Divine Soul Wizard
Wizards get features at levels: 2,6,10, 14

Divine Magic @2nd
Your link to the divine allows you to learn spells normally associated with the cleric class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a wizard cantrip or a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the cleric spell list or the wizard spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a wizard spell for you.

In addition, choose an affinity for the source of your divine power: good, evil, law, chaos, or neutrality. You learn an additional spell based on that affinity, as shown below. It is a wizard spell for you, If you later replace this spell, you must replace it with a spell from the cleric spell list.

Favoured by the Gods @2nd
Divine power guards your destiny. If you fail a saving throw or miss with an attack roll, you can roll 2d4 and add it to the total, possibly changing the outcome.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Empowered Healing @6th
The divine energy coursing through you can empower healing spells. Whenever you or an ally within 5 feet of you rolls dice to determine the number of hit points a spell restores, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll any number of those dice once, provided you aren't incapacitated. You can use this feature only once per turn.

Angelic Form @10th
You can use a bonus action to manifest a pair of spectral wings from your back. While the wings are present, you have a flying speed of 30 feet. The wings last until you're incapacitated, you die, or you dismiss them as a bonus action.

The affinity you chose for your Divine Magic feature determines the appearance of the spectral wings: eagle wings for good or law, bat wings for evil or chaos, and dragonfly wings for neutrality.

Unearthly Recovery @14th
You gain the ability to overcome grievous injuries. As a bonus action when you have fewer than half of your hit points remaining, you can regain a number of hit points equal to half your hit point maximum.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

and lastly the
Bards get features at levels: 3,6,14

Speech of the Woods @3rd
You gain the ability to converse with beasts and many fey.

You learn to speak, read, and write Sylvan. In addition, beasts can understand your speech, and you gain the ability to decipher their noises and motions. Most beasts lack the intelligence to convey or understand sophisticated concepts, but a friendly beast could relay what it has seen or heard in the recent past. This ability doesn’t grant you any special friendship with beasts, though you can combine this ability with gifts to curry favour with them as you would with any non-player character.

Spirit Totem @3rd
You gain the ability to call forth nature spirits and use them to influence the world around you.

As a bonus action, you can magically summon an incorporeal spirit to a point you can see within 60 feet of you. The spirit creates an aura in a 30-foot radius around that point. It counts as neither a creature nor an object, though it has the spectral appearance of the creature it represents. As a bonus action, you can move the spirit up to 60 feet to a point you can see.

The spirit persists for 1 minute. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

The effect of the spirit’s aura depends on the type of spirit you summon from the options below.

Bear Spirit. The bear spirit grants you and your allies its might and endurance. Each creature of your choice in the aura when the spirit appears gains temporary hit points equal to 5 + your druid level. In addition, you and your allies gain advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws while in the aura.

Hawk Spirit. The hawk spirit is a consummate hunter, aiding you and your allies with its keen sight. When a creature makes an attack roll against a target in the spirit’s aura, you can use your reaction to grant advantage to that attack roll. In addition, you and your allies have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks while in the aura.

Unicorn Spirit. The unicorn spirit lends its protection to those nearby. You and your allies gain advantage on all ability checks made to detect creatures in the spirit’s aura. In addition, if you cast a spell using a spell slot that restores hit points to any creature inside or outside the aura, each creature of your choice in the aura also regains hit points equal to your druid level.

Mighty Summoner @6th
Beasts and fey that you conjure are more resilient than normal. Any beast or fey summoned or created by a spell that you cast gains two benefits:
• The creature appears with more hit points than normal: 2 extra hit points per Hit Die it has.
• The damage from its natural weapons is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming immunity and resistance to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Guardian Spirit @14th
Your Spirit Totem safeguards the beasts and fey that you call forth with your magic. When a beast or fey that you summoned or created with a spell ends its turn in your Spirit Totem aura, that creature regains a number of hit points equal to half your druid level.

And you DON'T get Faithful Summons
The nature spirits you commune with protect you when you are the most defenceless. If you are reduced to 0 hit points or are incapacitated against your will, you can immediately gain the benefits of Conjure Animals as if it were cast with a 9th-level spell slot. It summons four beasts of your choice that are challenge rating 2 or lower. The conjured beasts appear within 20 feet of you. If they receive no commands from you, they protect you from harm and attack your foes. The spell lasts for 1 hour, requiring no concentration, or until you dismiss it (no action required).

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Rukelnikov
2019-10-29, 01:49 PM
The idea was to use every class only once, and so here's my party:

Gloom Barbarian: Proficiency in Wisdom Saving throws fixes one of your main weak points, and the added offensive capabilites pair well with the Barbarians chasis.

Monk of the Moon: All of the monk goodies on top of your WS forms, also reduces Monks madness a bit allowing for more feats to be taken.

Necrolock: Cast Animate Dead as a Warlock from lvl 6 onwards.

Arcane Paladin: Extra Slots with which to smite (8th lvl slots at 20), cantrips, and limited access to the wizard's spell list.

Life Sorcerer: Divine Soul's big bro comes with Plate proficiency, better healing, and 10 known spells freeing up your spell knowns for the added variety. Divine Strike also makes GFB and BB a bit better.

Purple Dragon Bard: Improved Second Wind, Indomitable and Action Surge, plus free proficiency and expertise in Persuation on top of the Bards chasis, awesome Face/Support.

Yunru
2019-10-29, 02:29 PM
It's on the lower end, but a Champion Barbarian is very scary. Especially once they get regeneration.

Misterwhisper
2019-10-29, 02:50 PM
Honestly, give me battle master on any martial class and I am a happy camper.

Monk with superiority dice, sweet, but kind of get it with open hand anyway.
Barbarian who hits you so hard you get knocked prone or he scares you, awesome.
Rogues who use them to be a sniper with crazy precision and debilitations.
Ranger almost got it with spelless ranger, but having it as a subclass is very nice.
Paladin with something to use other than smiting, great.

Warlock would not mesh well with many other subclasses because theirs is so tied into their base class.

Kane0
2019-10-29, 05:30 PM
Coincidentally, I don't think I'd have much of a problem DMing any of these characters. There might be some problems if some PCs take this up and others don't within the same party, but overall the balance looks manageable.

Kwinza
2019-10-30, 08:32 AM
Lore Master Sorcerer.

Top Banter.

rickayelm
2019-10-30, 05:46 PM
The arcana domain sorcerer, this would double the number of spells known for a sorcerer.

Yunru
2019-10-30, 05:55 PM
How do Warlocks work? Pact or Patron?

Rukelnikov
2019-10-30, 06:58 PM
How do Warlocks work? Pact or Patron?

Patron .

8wGremlin
2019-10-30, 07:37 PM
Patron .

Yeah, you have to pick your patron at 1st level, and they would give you the patron's powers/gifts.
If you weren't a base warlock, you wouldn't get Invocations or a Pact.

It should be known, that the one of the worst things I can make is a Hexblade Cleric
This wouldn't be two bad, but the second step of hexblade is given at Cleric level 2, the rest is fine really.

You can curse the soul of a person you slay, temporarily binding it in your service. When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level. Roll initiative for the specter, which has its own turns. It obeys your verbal commands, and it gains a special bonus to its attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +0).

The specter remains in your service until the end of your next long rest, at which point it vanishes to the afterlife.

Once you bind a specter with this feature, you can't use the feature again until you finish a long rest.

oh and I turned my Idea into a Natural Crit Article - https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJPnRS2wcS

8wGremlin
2019-10-30, 08:42 PM
Lore Master Sorcerer.

Top Banter.

Sorcerer's get Steps at 1,6,14,18
so that means

Step 1: Bonus Proficiencies @1st level
When you join the College of Lore, you gain proficiency with three skills of your choice.

Step 1: Cutting Words @1st level
You learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature's roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can't hear you or if it's immune to being charmed.

Note that you'll only ever have the Bardic Inspiration of a 1st level bard for your entire career as a Lore master Sorcerer.
(there are some downsides to this system after all)

Step 2: Additional Magical Secrets @6th level
You learn two spells of your choice from any class. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as bard spells for you but don't count against the number of bard spells you know.

Step 3: Peerless Skill @14th level
When you make an ability check, you can expend one use of Bardic Inspiration. Roll a Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to your ability check. You can choose to do so after you roll the die for the ability check, but before the DM tells you whether you succeed or fail.

Step 4: there is no step 4 @18th level!
bards only have 3 steps to their Archetypes. So you loose out.

Yunru
2019-10-30, 09:07 PM
Return it to where it belongs:
Lore (Wizard subclass) Sorcerer

8wGremlin
2019-10-31, 03:43 AM

Well in that case...
I’ll deal with that later as it’s a UA archetype.
(It’s night here)

sleepyhead
2019-10-31, 11:41 AM
1.Giant soul Cleric
2. Eldritch Knight Warlock
3. Order Domain Bard
4. Circle of Spores Paladin

8wGremlin
2019-10-31, 03:36 PM
Lore Mastery Sorcerers

Note that Prodigious Memory will cause some issues, due to the spellbook. (but under my current concepts you'd get a spellbook like a normal 1st level wizard)

Lore Mastery @1st Level
You become a compendium of knowledge on a vast array of topics. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion skill if you are proficient in that skill.

In addition, your analytical abilities are so well-honed that your initiative in combat can be driven by mental agility, rather than physical agility. When you roll initiative, it is either an Intelligence check or a Dexterity check for you (your choice).

Spell Secrets @1st Level
You master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell’s formula as you cast it.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Alchemical Casting @6th Level
You learn to augment spells in a variety of ways. When you cast a spell with a spell slot, you can expend one additional spell slot to augment its effects for this casting, mixing the raw stuff of magic into your spell to amplify it. The effect depends on the spell slot you expend.

An additional 1st-level spell slot can increase the spell’s raw force. If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage against every target by 2d10 force damage. If the spell can deal damage on more than one turn, it deals this extra force damage only on the turn you cast the spell.

An additional 2nd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s range. If the spell’s range is at least 30 feet, it becomes 1 mile.

An additional 3rd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s potency. Increase the spell’s save DC by 2.

Prodigious Memory @14th Level
You have attained a greater mastery of spell preparation. As a bonus action, you can replace one spell you have prepared with another spell from your spellbook. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Master of Magic @18th Level
Your knowledge of magic allows you to duplicate almost any spell. As a bonus action, you can call to mind the ability to cast one spell of your choice from any class’s spell list. The spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, you mustn’t have it prepared, and you follow the normal rules for casting it, including expending a spell slot. If the spell isn’t a wizard spell, it counts as a wizard spell when you cast it. The ability to cast the spell vanishes from your mind when you cast it or when the current turn ends. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

8wGremlin
2019-10-31, 03:39 PM
1.Giant soul Cleric
2. Eldritch Knight Warlock
3. Order Domain Bard
4. Circle of Spores Paladin

Do you want me to write these up?
or are you just posting them to show things you think are broken, or good, or interesting?

MrStabby
2019-11-01, 06:41 AM
or are you just posting them to show things you think are broken, or good, or interesting?

I think we know what the classes get at each level. I think we are just thinking of the things that are quirky, fun or powerful.

Yunru
2019-11-01, 08:31 AM
Lore Mastery Sorcerers

Note that Prodigious Memory will cause some issues, due to the spellbook. (but under my current concepts you'd get a spellbook like a normal 1st level wizard)

Lore Mastery @1st Level
You become a compendium of knowledge on a vast array of topics. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion skill if you are proficient in that skill.

In addition, your analytical abilities are so well-honed that your initiative in combat can be driven by mental agility, rather than physical agility. When you roll initiative, it is either an Intelligence check or a Dexterity check for you (your choice).

Spell Secrets @1st Level
You master the first in a series of arcane secrets uncovered by your extensive studies.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell’s formula as you cast it.

When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Alchemical Casting @6th Level
You learn to augment spells in a variety of ways. When you cast a spell with a spell slot, you can expend one additional spell slot to augment its effects for this casting, mixing the raw stuff of magic into your spell to amplify it. The effect depends on the spell slot you expend.

An additional 1st-level spell slot can increase the spell’s raw force. If you roll damage for the spell when you cast it, increase the damage against every target by 2d10 force damage. If the spell can deal damage on more than one turn, it deals this extra force damage only on the turn you cast the spell.

An additional 2nd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s range. If the spell’s range is at least 30 feet, it becomes 1 mile.

An additional 3rd-level spell slot can increase the spell’s potency. Increase the spell’s save DC by 2.

Prodigious Memory @14th Level
You have attained a greater mastery of spell preparation. As a bonus action, you can replace one spell you have prepared with another spell from your spellbook. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Master of Magic @18th Level
Your knowledge of magic allows you to duplicate almost any spell. As a bonus action, you can call to mind the ability to cast one spell of your choice from any class’s spell list. The spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, you mustn’t have it prepared, and you follow the normal rules for casting it, including expending a spell slot. If the spell isn’t a wizard spell, it counts as a wizard spell when you cast it. The ability to cast the spell vanishes from your mind when you cast it or when the current turn ends. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Now that's a Sorcerer!

sleepyhead
2019-11-01, 08:57 AM
Mostly just to show what I would like but it would be nice to see it written up.

Felyndiira
2019-11-01, 03:26 PM
The Revived + Anything: Gives cunning action and a nerfed progression of Sneak Attack by level 3, due to its feature and the rules about granting base class features. If you use cunning action, you can fire off your sneak attack+DEX at someone for free for extra damage. Pretty useful with any class that uses DEX.

Oath of Ancients + Anything: Add magic resistance to any class. If you pick a base class that can get 5 oath abilities early, you get an early capstone that gives regen and free quicken and free disadvantage against your spells.

Oathbreaker + Fighter: CHA to damage on four attacks? Yes please.

Zeal Domain + Sorcerer: Maximize a fireball per short rest (2/rest at level 18), free spells (most of them very good for a sorcerer), and +1d8/2d8 to the quickened booming blade you cast as a bonus action.

Bladesinger + Anything: Bladesong is an incredibly powerful feature to add to any DEX-oriented class. Song of Victory for INT to damage is gravy. Depending on how the 1/3 rule is interpreted, might just give you spell slots to fuel Song of Defense or actual 1/3 wizard casting.

PwrHngryTortois
2019-11-01, 04:00 PM
Let's say that any class can take any subclass, gaining their features at the times when the base class would gain subclass features. For instance, a Level 1 Battle Master sorcerer gets spellcasting and the level 3 Battlemaster feature.

To keep things focused we'll disallow multiclassing.

What fun builds can you think of to make with this? I think a Eagle Totem monk could be goofy fun.

Hexablade Paladin is Solid.

Evoker Sorcerer seems amazing.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-01, 11:54 PM
School of War Magic Paladin?

Lvl 3 Tactical Wit: Int to initiative - meh
Lvl 3 Arcane Deflection: tanking to use when necessary
Lvl 7 Power Surge: 3 damage on a spell if paladin spells count - nah
Lvl 14 Durable Magic: more tanking
Lvl 20 Deflecting Shroud: 10 damage to 3 enemies when you use arcane deflection

So if you go sword & board, defensive style, 20 charisma, and cast shield of faith you have 25 AC and +8 to saves before factoring in proficiency or ability score modifiers.
Arcane Deflection boosts that to 27 AC for one attack or +12 for one save and deals 10 damage to 3 different enemies.

Now if only Tactical Wit and Power Surge were useful...

8wGremlin
2019-11-02, 03:42 PM
Eldritch Knight Warlock;
Level 1:
Spellcasting (new additional set of spells at the same time is weird, but under the current hack you only ever get 1st level spells, and cantrips.)
Weapon Bond

Level 6: War Magic
Level 10: Eldritch Strike
Level 14: Arcane Charge