PDA

View Full Version : Interesting opportunity - AL Character

mister__joshua
2019-10-26, 07:04 PM
I’m playing Adventurers League and have a character about to reach level 5. Up until 5 you’re allowed to re-spec however you like so the next build will be final for this character.

Now, the char has managed to obtain both Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Headband of Intellect. This gives me quite a unique opportunity to build a character normally too MAD to attempt, or a feat heavy build and forego stat boosts if I accept a 19 as the highest it will be.

I’d be interested to hear ideas for things. I’m considering an unusual Paladin/Wizard multiclass, but I’m sure there are loads of options. Go MAD, and build the best character you can!

8wGremlin
2019-10-26, 07:21 PM
I’m playing Adventurers League and have a character about to reach level 5. Up until 5 you’re allowed to re-spec however you like so the next build will be final for this character.

Now, the char has managed to obtain both Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Headband of Intellect. This gives me quite a unique opportunity to build a character normally too MAD to attempt, or a feat heavy build and forego stat boosts if I accept a 19 as the highest it will be.

I’d be interested to hear ideas for things. I’m considering an unusual Paladin/Wizard multiclass, but I’m sure there are loads of options. Go MAD, and build the best character you can!

In AL you can't use magic items for Multi-classing, you have to have the default stats to do it.
However you could make a very potent Eldritch Knight, dumping your STR down to 13 and you INT down to 8 and using the stats to boost others.

You could also be a good Fighter 2 - > Wizard 3 given that you'd have to have a 13 in STR (or DEX!) and INT before using the Gauntlets and Headband.

The problem is that there aren't many resources that run off STR or INT. So you have to leverage other parts of the character to make use of them.

(I have the same AL items)

Keravath
2019-10-26, 10:12 PM
Keep in mind that both items require attunement. This means that when better items come along you won't be able to swap them out since your build depends on it.

In tier 1, you are limited to 1 magic item. In tier 2, it is three magic items. Presumably you just played the adventure that levels you to 5 and received one of the items or you are converting a pre-season 9 character.

In order to multi-class, you need to have 13 in the relevant stats without magic items so although they will save you a few points on your build they aren't a perfect solution.

Some options could include
- dex based eldritch knight that uses strength for melee attacks and dex for ranged attacks until dex>str. However, the high strength still gives you some good options.
- arcane trickster (headband of intellect) is good in this case. Use strength or dex whichever you like with a finesse weapon for sneak attacks.
- arcane trickster/wizard (particularly bladesinger) multiclass. You'll need 13 int anyway but the headband helps make a couple of levels of wizard work a bit better.

Best use of these two would be creating a less common multiclass like paladin/wizard but even then it isn't that great.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:07 PM
I don't think the Gauntlet's aren't that great outside of letting you grab feats without losing out on stats much (you still won't max out), but the big thing is the headband. You can just be a pretty great Wizard with minimum Int investment allowing some MAD caster multiclassing to come online. The spell list and school features of a Wizard but combined with the bloodline and metamagics of a Sorcerer can be very potent (portent+Favored by the Gods for example is basically I WILL hit you sir).

It really comes down to what kind of character you want to play, do you want to play a martial or a primary caster? Melee or ranged?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 12:13 AM
I don't think the Gauntlet's aren't that great outside of letting you grab feats without losing out on stats much (you still won't max out), but the big thing is the headband. You can just be a pretty great Wizard with minimum Int investment allowing some MAD caster multiclassing to come online. The spell list and school features of a Wizard but combined with the bloodline and metamagics of a Sorcerer can be very potent (portent+Favored by the Gods for example is basically I WILL hit you sir).

It really comes down to what kind of character you want to play, do you want to play a martial or a primary caster? Melee or ranged?

The headband is all you need for bladesinger.
Great for monks(+4 ac).

mister__joshua
2019-10-28, 09:57 AM

The character is currently a bladelock, though I’m not overly tied to that. I do find interesting the idea of a Wizard who derives most of his intelligence from an item. Mainly though I thought there might be an interesting opportunity to build a character that you otherwise couldn’t. If you’re happy to take a 19 as max in a primary stat, you’d never need spend any points on it. My current idea is Paladin/Wizard.

And thanks all, but I’m aware of how the multiclass rules work and S9 item restrictions. I don’t technically have the headband yet, but I know it’s the reward for this module after which I will be level 5

ThatoneGuy84
2019-10-28, 10:32 AM
With the headband (if you respec 13 int) a 2 level bladesinger dip becomes super useful for your bladelock (4 Ac boost while singing, some spell slots to cast shield for extra 5 Ac reaction).
Gauntlets u can rock for 19 str (u can dump to 8) simply to have better Str till a more opportune item comes up.
Should let you spec for high Dex/Cha.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-28, 12:10 PM
The character is currently a bladelock, though I’m not overly tied to that. I do find interesting the idea of a Wizard who derives most of his intelligence from an item. Mainly though I thought there might be an interesting opportunity to build a character that you otherwise couldn’t. If you’re happy to take a 19 as max in a primary stat, you’d never need spend any points on it. My current idea is Paladin/Wizard.

And thanks all, but I’m aware of how the multiclass rules work and S9 item restrictions. I don’t technically have the headband yet, but I know it’s the reward for this module after which I will be level 5

Personally I'd skip the Paladin and go Dex based Gish, something along the lines of Fighter 1(Dueling)/Wizard3(BladeSinger)/Sorcerer 1(Draconic).

With a Half Elf you can end up with a spread of 8 16 14 13 12 14 before headband, practically leaving you with: 37hp and AC20 (in combat) before Shield spell. For damage you can have both SCAGtrips in melee with Shadowblade or a rapier. This would leave you with the casting and utility of a Wizard (albeit without 3rd level spells), the hp of a Rogue and AC of a heavy armor martial.

darknite
2019-10-28, 12:35 PM
I've got an AL magical-item-dependent non-human barbarian who has Gauntlets of Ogre Power in Tier 1 and will transition to a Belt of Fire Giant Strength at Tier 3 and then Belt of Storm Giant Strength at Tier 4. It works as it means they can take more feats as they gain ASIs. So at 4th level they grab Pole Arm Master and at 8th level it's Great Weapon Master, which would otherwise be +2 Str per shot. By 12th level they have PAM, GWM and Sentinel with a 25 Str.

Now this PC has a >13 Str and Con so they can multiclass if I choose to down the line. About the only negatives to this path is you need to be confident that you can get the magic items you need, can spare the attunement & magic item slots and don't run into too many antimagic areas.