PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to beat the DM

The_Invexed
2019-10-26, 07:55 PM
Now I know this is a bit of a click-baity title, but it's not that severe.

My normal DM for my Saturday game is moving apartments, so one of our friends is running a Level 20 1-shot. We are fighting a homebrewed Tarrasque. That friend is a *very* vicious DM, so I'm expecting the worst. And just to clarify, this is 100% a player-vs-DM situation, neither parties are pulling any punches. At the moment Party-Comp is hidden from everyone else, so we can't plan anything too extreme.

Where this gets interesting is the magic items. We are allowed 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, and 1 Very Rare Item, with an additional 20,000 gp + 1d10*250 extra gp.

I just need some inspiration on what to play. I heavily favor Full-Casters over Half/Martial Classes, but post anything you think would be fun.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I made it seem a little bit too extreme. We can still win, she (the DM) does want to give us a chance, it's more like a dark-souls boss, less like a cutscene where things are doomed regardless.

EDIT 2: Since the situation seems to be vague, just give me inspiration for general use OP Level 20 Builds/Characters

Lunali
2019-10-26, 08:18 PM
Normal tarrasque has a significant weakness against flying ranged magical weapon attacks, though that will probably be fixed. If I were planning to fight a normal one, I would bring a tabaxi kensei monk with sharpshooter, longbow, winged boots, whatever else you feel like grabbing.

Frozenstep
2019-10-26, 08:20 PM
Play a chaotic evil wizard.

Plane shift out. Make yourself a mansion somewhere nice and away from terrasque. Care nothing for the innocents.

Zhorn
2019-10-26, 08:52 PM
Play a chaotic evil wizard.

Plane shift out. Make yourself a mansion somewhere nice and away from terrasque. Care nothing for the innocents.

Alignment should have nothing to do with it.
Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic. All wizards are terrible people.

https://1d4chan.org/images/1/19/No_sense_of_right_and_wrong.png

2019-10-26, 09:05 PM
Normap Brute/Champion/Battlemaster archer build is still probably a good choice. Even most homebrewers are pretty reluctant to shut down fighter options as much as they do caster options.

Alternatively, have everyone use their magic items for Horns Of Valhalla. 10d10+10 summoned Berserkers per party member.

No brains
2019-10-26, 09:20 PM
Could a portable hole/ bag of holding vortex work?

Talsin
2019-10-26, 09:58 PM
9th level spell; Invulnerability. No, it doesn't protect against holds or whatnot, but it will prevent the wizard from dying... For at least 1 round, 2 if they can carry their concentration...

6th level spell: Mental Prison. probably doesn't apply to the Tarrasque, because it doesn't perceive danger?

Without knowing what we're up against, it's pretty hard to plan outside of "Supe'd up tarrasque" because I'm pretty sure someone made a build that can take on the standard tarrasque solo at level 6 or something.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:12 PM
9th level spell; Invulnerability. No, it doesn't protect against holds or whatnot, but it will prevent the wizard from dying... For at least 1 round, 2 if they can carry their concentration...

6th level spell: Mental Prison. probably doesn't apply to the Tarrasque, because it doesn't perceive danger?

Without knowing what we're up against, it's pretty hard to plan outside of "Supe'd up tarrasque" because I'm pretty sure someone made a build that can take on the standard tarrasque solo at level 6 or something.

The ridiculous thing about Invulnerability is that a Tarrasque doesn't really have any other way (even if homebrewed not many ways) to trigger a Conc check.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:15 PM
I think your best bet (given your preferences) would be a super meaty and hard to nab Full caster, dipping for Action Surge for set up and Nova purposes.

What kind of prep are you allowed to do before hand? Could you be an 18/2 Divine Sorc/Fighter going into battle with a Simulacrum, Familiar, winged Greater Steed and a Contingency loaded with a resurrection type spell?

Talsin
2019-10-26, 11:23 PM
The ridiculous thing about Invulnerability is that a Tarrasque doesn't really have any other way (even if homebrewed not many ways) to trigger a Conc check.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really have to. 10 minute duration; and good luck defeating something stronger than the standard tarrasque without a 9th level spell like Wish to break down a resistance or something. Older editions, Wish was the only way to keep it dead.

The_Invexed
2019-10-26, 11:24 PM
I think your best bet (given your preferences) would be a super meaty and hard to nab Full caster, dipping for Action Surge for set up and Nova purposes.

What kind of prep are you allowed to do before hand? Could you be an 18/2 Divine Sorc/Fighter going into battle with a Simulacrum, Familiar, winged Greater Steed and a Contingency loaded with a resurrection type spell?

So I've relaxed some on my Full-Caster requirement. I had the idea of taking an Oathbow and trying to make a stronger archer-type. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Ranger, but whatever would work the best DPR/Survivability wise.

EDIT: I'm assuming with this type of character gear matters much more if you have recommendations on that stuff as well I would really appreciate it.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't really have to. 10 minute duration; and good luck defeating something stronger than the standard tarrasque without a 9th level spell like Wish to break down a resistance or something. Older editions, Wish was the only way to keep it dead.

I don't think even a combat like the one described would go 100 rounds, and even if it did you're left at full HP presumably near the end of the combat. If you want to break down resistance then just throw a bunch of non fire/poison aoe at the thing until it starts wanting to take less damage.

Talsin
2019-10-26, 11:36 PM
I don't think even a combat like the one described would go 100 rounds, and even if it did you're left at full HP presumably near the end of the combat. If you want to break down resistance then just throw a bunch of non fire/poison aoe at the thing until it starts wanting to take less damage.

Cantrip Fiiiiiiight!

More seriously, I imagine if being on a rocky boat is enough to trigger a concentration check, getting shoved by a tarrasque, while invulnerable, will still move you forcibly - and likely a long distance. As a GM (albeit perhaps a harsh one), I would ask for a concentration check on that for sure. Still, i'm sure there are other things that might work better. Flesh to Stone?

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:46 PM
So I've relaxed some on my Full-Caster requirement. I had the idea of taking an Oathbow and trying to make a stronger archer-type. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Ranger, but whatever would work the best DPR/Survivability wise.

EDIT: I'm assuming with this type of character gear matters much more if you have recommendations on that stuff as well I would really appreciate it.

If you want to go with an Archer, then you can go Inquistive Rogue (expertise Insight) with a Fighter dip for Archery and drop 1d10+5+16d6=65.5 avg damage every turn with only needed a bonus action set up every minute.

Item wise an Amulet of health would free up your ASIs to take some feats (Lucky and Tough would be top of the list here, Sharpshooter but not for the bonus damage). Very Rare goes to the Oathbow, an uncommon should go to winged boots. For the rest load up on magical armor and potions.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-26, 11:56 PM
Cantrip Fiiiiiiight!

More seriously, I imagine if being on a rocky boat is enough to trigger a concentration check, getting shoved by a tarrasque, while invulnerable, will still move you forcibly - and likely a long distance. As a GM (albeit perhaps a harsh one), I would ask for a concentration check on that for sure. Still, i'm sure there are other things that might work better. Flesh to Stone?

Shoving is a good point, but at 20th level with all those items keeping out of range shouldn't be too difficult especially if the party spreads out.

Flesh to Stone is a good shout, surprisingly the stock Tarrasque isn't immune to being restrained or petrification, but you'd be relying on a total of 4 fails on a save it has a +10 to.

True Polymorphing it permanently/disintegrating it might be a better option especially if you can slap it with some bad portent rolls/Bane etc.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 12:06 AM
Personally I will use my bare hands as I am most comfortable with them(martial arts).

A knife is hard to use without training, so it is out with most blade weapons.

Crossbows and guns are built to be use with minimal training so I recommend them.

If you have access to it nuclear weapons are great for beating someone, if it fails you will need to move to sticks and stones so it is a dangerous one.

2019-10-27, 12:57 AM

Variant Human, Fighter 20 (Brute)

Stats (lvl 20): 8/20/20/8/16/8

Fighting Styles: Archery, Close Quarters Shooter

Feats/ASIs:
Human: Resilient (Wisdom)
Fighter 4: Martial Adept (Precision Attack)
Fighter 6: Dex +2
Fighter 8: Dex +2
Fighter 12: Alert
Fighter 14: Con +2
Fighter 16: Con +2
Fighter 19: Lucky

Items:
Very Rare: Oathbow
Rare: Potion Of Heroism
Rare: Helm Of Teleportation
Uncommon: Broom Of Flying
Uncommon: Efficient Quiver
Uncommon: Potion Of Growth
Money: studded leather armor, tons of arrows, tons of healing potions

Pop potions, fly closer, win init, action surge twice. Teleport away to heal up when needed, teleport back when ready, continue peppering with arrows until dead. You should have the reach and regen advantage to take Big T out before he takes you out...or at least, you would on the normal Tarrasque.

Of course, this gets much easier with a whole team of guys like this, or maybe with caster support.

You could also just like...put together some dumb build centered around being basically invulnerable. Maybe some kinda bearbarian with a +3 shield and some other BS?

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-27, 12:54 PM
Could a portable hole/ bag of holding vortex work? yes, with the right initiative and misty step/Dimension Door used by two PCs

Laserlight
2019-10-27, 06:42 PM
Banish it, quickly get it naturalized in the new dimension....

col_impact
2019-10-27, 07:45 PM
Play a caster with access to shapechange or true polymorph. Shapechange is better here so you can stll use your spells.

Get the Tarrasque to swallow you.

Change into a creature with acid immunity.

Take your time. As long as you are immune to acid the Tarrasque can't do anything to you while you are in it's belly so just whittle the Tarrasque down with attacks making sure not to trigger the Tarrasque's gag reflex.

GreyBlack
2019-10-28, 07:17 AM
Wood Elf Monk 15/Barbarian 5.

Barbarian is an Totem Barbarian. Choose Elk as your totem, allowing you to increase your speed by 15. Take the Mobile feat. Use a longbow. Run in and out of range to plink away until it dies.

noob
2019-10-28, 07:49 AM
Let us assume that 1: the tarrasque can teleport at truly any place including within solid objects as a free action.
then that 2: the tarrasque have unlimited range blindsight, touchsight and regular sight that ignores all forms of concealment and illusion.
Then that 3: the tarrasque can cancel any power or spell or class feature or ability that helps someone to protect itself from dooming claws at will for no cost

now with those assumptions I still have no clue on how to beat it other than "deal enough damage to destroy it forever in a single turn"

HiveStriker
2019-10-28, 09:08 AM
Now I know this is a bit of a click-baity title, but it's not that severe.

My normal DM for my Saturday game is moving apartments, so one of our friends is running a Level 20 1-shot. We are fighting a homebrewed Tarrasque. That friend is a *very* vicious DM, so I'm expecting the worst. And just to clarify, this is 100% a player-vs-DM situation, neither parties are pulling any punches. At the moment Party-Comp is hidden from everyone else, so we can't plan anything too extreme.

Where this gets interesting is the magic items. We are allowed 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, and 1 Very Rare Item, with an additional 20,000 gp + 1d10*250 extra gp.

I just need some inspiration on what to play. I heavily favor Full-Casters over Half/Martial Classes, but post anything you think would be fun.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I made it seem a little bit too extreme. We can still win, she (the DM) does want to give us a chance, it's more like a dark-souls boss, less like a cutscene where things are doomed regardless.

EDIT 2: Since the situation seems to be vague, just give me inspiration for general use OP Level 20 Builds/Characters
Hi!
Interesting. :)
NOTE: I'm just giving single-class (or "just 2 level dip multiclass") examples, feel free to mix it up.
Strat 1: keep ranged and kill it slow pace.

1. Kensei (Elf) Monk (/ Fighter 1 optional for Archery): pick Alert and Sharpshooter feats, optionally Elven Accuracy. You now have high chance to start (at least before Tarrasque): use first round to use Empty Body and Sharpen the Blade. You now have +3 (+5 if Archery) BEFORE any external buff or bonus from a magical bow.
Far better than ANY other class for that job.
- You're invisible: does not mean anything within 120 feet of the Tarraque, but at least you wo'nt care about any othe creature.
- You have the best mobility: 60 feet stat, ability to Dash as bonus action. You can easily boost that with Mobile if you didn't pick Elven Accuracy, otherwise with any magical equipment boosting speed (I know very little about items, I'm pretty sure some will fit the bill). Tarrasque can move 40+20 unless it Dashes. Even with Dash it's just 100 feet. YOU can move 60 feet every turn, just Dashing as bonus action makes it 120, in emergency push to 180.
- You have the best resilience: not only do you have proficiency in everything and a high WIS save, even if you got frightened, you can simply spend one action to end it immediately after. In addition to that, you can Dodge as a bonus action when the Kensei feature's +2 is not enough, you can get Bracers of Defense for another +2, and you could also ask for a Ring of Spell Storing charged with several Shields or, optimally, a Haste and Shields.
- If you stay out of range enough (> 120 feet), with the invisibility AND Elven Accuracy, you're an unseen attacker so you get triple advantage meaning you're pretty sure every attack will hit.
- Your attacks are magical so you can put every "magic item budget" on utility/defense.

AC 25 vs bonus to hit 6 (prof) + 5 (DEX) + 3 (Sharpen) (we'll also put Archery optionnally): 14 (16) to hit, need to score 12 (10) or higher
Normal chance 45%, advantage 70%, triple advantage 1-(0.55*0.55*0.55) = ~85%
With +16? Becomes 10 to hit, so 55% 80% and 90%.

So either you grab +3 ammunition without Archery, or simply +2 ammunition, and you're near sure to hit on EVERY attack unless Tarrasque starts Dodging. Which also means you can safely try out the Sharpshooter malus/bonus feature if you'd like to.
And you'll deal pretty nice damage even without: 1d10+5+3 (+ possibly damage for a magic ammunition)(+1d4 if bonus action on feature)*2 so a conservative average of 26 (30 with bonus action).

Basically a Kensei Monk can solo kite a Tarrasque with extremely little risk involved for him whatever happens, it would just be very boring because you can last only get "full power" a 2-3 minutes per hour. Only problem is he can do little about Tarrasque run in hiding in its nest, Stunning it would be far too risky for the few rounds spared. And it would take a damn long time if Tarrasque otherwise plays Dodge.

Which brings us to the next best challenger against Tarraque, as far as to-hit goes
Devotion Paladin: can apply Sacred Weapon even on a magic weapon: so whatever happens like Monk you don't need magic items, but contrarily to Monk you can use both magic ammunition AND magic weapon.
And a +5 is pretty nifty.
Problem is that such a Paladin has nothing to help movement-wise, so ideally you'd multiclass it with a Hexblade Blade Warlock with Far Step, or a Sorcerer with Greater Invisibility and several slots converted into Misty Step.

As far as "killing fast with regular attacks" however, palm probably goes to Eldricht Knight: use Greater Invisibility as Action Surge to not lose time. You get 4 attacks per turn, so with triple advantage you should have something along the lines of 70% attacks hitting per turn, so 3 attacks per turn.

2. Get it close and personal
Again, Monk is the one you want. This time, preferably Open Hand. Use Empty Body, first Dash with action while Dodging if needed, conserve your ki.
Once up close and personal, pummel as much as you can, using Flurry of Blows to try and set creature prone (no size limit yay) if you have several melee pals with high defense, using Stunning Strike on every hit. Objective is to force it to dry up Legendary Saves. You'll probably waste up all your Ki on that if you're the only one to try and deplete saves. So a Diviner Wizard or Wild Magic Sorcerer would help much here, targeting INT preferably.

The core idea here is: either you have a Diviner Wizard, you can choose the moment of figthing -> choose the day where Wizard got a <5 -> Have everyone use spells that target neither STR nor CON to force Tarraque to use Legendary. Once all three are out, have the Monk activate Empty Body. Next turn, when Monk uses his action to force the save, replace whatever roll by the 1/2/3 (went to review Portent, from source I found there is apparently no range condition, just "a creature you can see", meaning technically Wizard can replace roll even from 1 mile away, neat XD).
DONE.

Otherwise, it's the reverse: have Monk go fullpower as early as possible (possibly Hasting him so he has no trouble doing hit and run while everyone else maintains big distance). When no more legendary saves, have everyone close in enough (possibly with a Dimension Door or something if you were really too far away and need to be fast for whatever reason, like Tarrasque starts fleeing) and drop the biggest, nastiest spells you have to make it unable to harm while you pummel it.

noob
2019-10-28, 09:29 AM
Hi!
Interesting. :)
NOTE: I'm just giving single-class (or "just 2 level dip multiclass") examples, feel free to mix it up.
Strat 1: keep ranged and kill it slow pace.

1. Kensei (Elf) Monk (/ Fighter 1 optional for Archery): pick Alert and Sharpshooter feats, optionally Elven Accuracy. You now have high chance to start (at least before Tarrasque): use first round to use Empty Body and Sharpen the Blade. You now have +3 (+5 if Archery) BEFORE any external buff or bonus from a magical bow.
Far better than ANY other class for that job.
- You're invisible: does not mean anything within 120 feet of the Tarraque, but at least you wo'nt care about any othe creature.
- You have the best mobility: 60 feet stat, ability to Dash as bonus action. You can easily boost that with Mobile if you didn't pick Elven Accuracy, otherwise with any magical equipment boosting speed (I know very little about items, I'm pretty sure some will fit the bill). Tarrasque can move 40+20 unless it Dashes. Even with Dash it's just 100 feet. YOU can move 60 feet every turn, just Dashing as bonus action makes it 120, in emergency push to 180.
- You have the best resilience: not only do you have proficiency in everything and a high WIS save, even if you got frightened, you can simply spend one action to end it immediately after. In addition to that, you can Dodge as a bonus action when the Kensei feature's +2 is not enough, you can get Bracers of Defense for another +2, and you could also ask for a Ring of Spell Storing charged with several Shields or, optimally, a Haste and Shields.
- If you stay out of range enough (> 120 feet), with the invisibility AND Elven Accuracy, you're an unseen attacker so you get triple advantage meaning you're pretty sure every attack will hit.
- Your attacks are magical so you can put every "magic item budget" on utility/defense.

AC 25 vs bonus to hit 6 (prof) + 5 (DEX) + 3 (Sharpen) (we'll also put Archery optionnally): 14 (16) to hit, need to score 12 (10) or higher
Normal chance 45%, advantage 70%, triple advantage 1-(0.55*0.55*0.55) = ~85%
With +16? Becomes 10 to hit, so 55% 80% and 90%.

So either you grab +3 ammunition without Archery, or simply +2 ammunition, and you're near sure to hit on EVERY attack unless Tarrasque starts Dodging. Which also means you can safely try out the Sharpshooter malus/bonus feature if you'd like to.
And you'll deal pretty nice damage even without: 1d10+5+3 (+ possibly damage for a magic ammunition)(+1d4 if bonus action on feature)*2 so a conservative average of 26 (30 with bonus action).

Basically a Kensei Monk can solo kite a Tarrasque with extremely little risk involved for him whatever happens, it would just be very boring because you can last only get "full power" a 2-3 minutes per hour. Only problem is he can do little about Tarrasque run in hiding in its nest, Stunning it would be far too risky for the few rounds spared. And it would take a damn long time if Tarrasque otherwise plays Dodge.

Which brings us to the next best challenger against Tarraque, as far as to-hit goes
Devotion Paladin: can apply Sacred Weapon even on a magic weapon: so whatever happens like Monk you don't need magic items, but contrarily to Monk you can use both magic ammunition AND magic weapon.
And a +5 is pretty nifty.
Problem is that such a Paladin has nothing to help movement-wise, so ideally you'd multiclass it with a Hexblade Blade Warlock with Far Step, or a Sorcerer with Greater Invisibility and several slots converted into Misty Step.

As far as "killing fast with regular attacks" however, palm probably goes to Eldricht Knight: use Greater Invisibility as Action Surge to not lose time. You get 4 attacks per turn, so with triple advantage you should have something along the lines of 70% attacks hitting per turn, so 3 attacks per turn.

2. Get it close and personal
Again, Monk is the one you want. This time, preferably Open Hand. Use Empty Body, first Dash with action while Dodging if needed, conserve your ki.
Once up close and personal, pummel as much as you can, using Flurry of Blows to try and set creature prone (no size limit yay) if you have several melee pals with high defense, using Stunning Strike on every hit. Objective is to force it to dry up Legendary Saves. You'll probably waste up all your Ki on that if you're the only one to try and deplete saves. So a Diviner Wizard or Wild Magic Sorcerer would help much here, targeting INT preferably.

The core idea here is: either you have a Diviner Wizard, you can choose the moment of figthing -> choose the day where Wizard got a <5 -> Have everyone use spells that target neither STR nor CON to force Tarraque to use Legendary. Once all three are out, have the Monk activate Empty Body. Next turn, when Monk uses his action to force the save, replace whatever roll by the 1/2/3 (went to review Portent, from source I found there is apparently no range condition, just "a creature you can see", meaning technically Wizard can replace roll even from 1 mile away, neat XD).
DONE.

Otherwise, it's the reverse: have Monk go fullpower as early as possible (possibly Hasting him so he has no trouble doing hit and run while everyone else maintains big distance). When no more legendary saves, have everyone close in enough (possibly with a Dimension Door or something if you were really too far away and need to be fast for whatever reason, like Tarrasque starts fleeing) and drop the biggest, nastiest spells you have to make it unable to harm while you pummel it.

The tarrasque was mentioned as being homebrewed so who knows how many balors it can summon per turn?

Talsin
2019-10-28, 09:32 AM
Play a caster with access to shapechange or true polymorph. Shapechange is better here so you can stll use your spells.

Get the Tarrasque to swallow you.

Change into a creature with acid immunity.

Take your time. As long as you are immune to acid the Tarrasque can't do anything to you while you are in it's belly so just whittle the Tarrasque down with attacks making sure not to trigger the Tarrasque's gag reflex.

Curiously enough, this would work given enough time... Yes, you're restrained and blinded, but it doesn't matter as long as you don't die. Weird.
Wait a minute, isn't this what happened in Men in Black 1?

Talsin
2019-10-28, 09:33 AM
Yo, OP! How did it go?

col_impact
2019-10-28, 02:20 PM
Let us assume that 1: the tarrasque can teleport at truly any place including within solid objects as a free action.
then that 2: the tarrasque have unlimited range blindsight, touchsight and regular sight that ignores all forms of concealment and illusion.
Then that 3: the tarrasque can cancel any power or spell or class feature or ability that helps someone to protect itself from dooming claws at will for no cost

now with those assumptions I still have no clue on how to beat it other than "deal enough damage to destroy it forever in a single turn"

How can you make those assumptions? Are you the DM in question?

With those Tarrasque enhancements I still have a 20th level AL legal character who can beat your Tarrasque.

However, I want to point out that your enhancements will have changed the encounter from CR 30 to CR 90 or more.

Are we engaging in a nerd fight? My prior answer provided a single character solution with no tricks or magic items to the Tarrasque problem presented and your response was to add on crazy unbalanced abilities that don't exist on any other creature in D&D. If the DM can just make @#$% up then the only answer is "not to play".

Again, I have an AL legal character who can still beat even your current outrageous suggestion but for me to reveal those details you are going to have to agree to some ground rules ahead of time.

noob
2019-10-28, 02:27 PM
How can you make those assumptions? Are you the DM in question?

With those Tarrasque enhancements I still have a 20th level AL legal character who can beat your Tarrasque.

However, I want to point out that your enhancements will have changed the encounter from CR 30 to CR 90 or more.

Are we engaging in a nerd fight? My prior answer provided a single character solution with no tricks or magic items to the Tarrasque problem presented and your response was to add on crazy unbalanced abilities that don't exist on any other creature in D&D. If the DM can just make @#$% up then the only answer is "not to play".

Again, I have an AL legal character who can still beat even your current outrageous suggestion but for me to reveal those details you are going to have to agree to some ground rules ahead of time.

I did not say it was impossible only that you needed to deal enough damage to kill it in one turn which is definitively possible.
The thing is that in a player vs gm mentality if homebrewing is allowed then the things can escalate further and further up to ridiculous points.
you assumed a standard tarrasque when the starting point of that entire thread included an homebrewed tarrasque and it is pointless to homebrew a tarrasque if it is not to shore up a weakness(the standard tarrasque can be beaten just by staying out of range).

Reevh
2019-10-28, 02:31 PM
Normal tarrasque has a significant weakness against flying ranged magical weapon attacks, though that will probably be fixed. If I were planning to fight a normal one, I would bring a tabaxi kensei monk with sharpshooter, longbow, winged boots, whatever else you feel like grabbing.

When I DM'd a tarrasque in a one shot, it initially burst through the surface of the ground from an underground cave system. Once players started flying, the Tarrasque ran down into the caves, which had low enough ceilings the tarrasque could reach the players.

col_impact
2019-10-28, 02:48 PM
I did not say it was impossible only that you needed to deal enough damage to kill it in one turn which is definitively possible.
The thing is that in a player vs gm mentality if homebrewing is allowed then the things can escalate further and further up to ridiculous points.

That's why any homebrew needs to be stated by the DM and agreed upon ahead of time.

When I DM I don't need to make stuff up to beat the players. I just use my better understanding of the AL standardized rules and TACTICS. If I make @#$% up to beat the players then I am a lousy DM. Moreover, I don't even want to beat the players. I want to teach them the rules, how to cooperate as a team, how to use tactics to overcome obstacles, and how to ultimately become awesome players. If a TPK happens I have failed to be a teacher and a provider of an entertaning experience.

By the way, you don't need to kill the Tarrasque in a single turn (which I know how to do by the way) you need to simply render the Tarrasque situationally helpless and then deliver some kind of 'coup de grace'. I have already rendered a standard solution. Now I want the homebrew changes to the rules agreed upon ahead of time in order to avoid a degeneration into a ridiculous game.

Onos
2019-10-28, 04:06 PM
When I DM'd a tarrasque in a one shot, it initially burst through the surface of the ground from an underground cave system. Once players started flying, the Tarrasque ran down into the caves, which had low enough ceilings the tarrasque could reach the players.

I love that you've actually covered for its weakness without homebrewing the c*** out of it like normally happens.

OP, diviner Wizard, burn through its legendary resistances with save-or-sucks (hopefully kept at 3) then hit it with Wish/Plane Shift to send it to the elemental plane of water or air. Careful use of a low rolled portent ensures it will not be troubling you again.

Lunali
2019-10-28, 06:02 PM

The other major weakness of the tarrasque is that it's not too bright. If it frequently attacked the surface it would probably develop tactics like that to avoid damage but if it only shows up every few centuries to fill its belly and has never faced a credible threat, it would likely have no idea how to deal with it.

Safety Sword
2019-10-29, 03:19 AM
The real question is: Why aren't you helping your DM move?

This is why PCs die.

:amused: