PDA

View Full Version : Movies Zombieland: Double Tap

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-26, 07:58 PM
I saw Zombieland: Double Tap early this movie and I'm going to tell you my thoughts of the movie.

Zombieland: Double Tap is a long-awaited sequel of Zombieland. I did saw the first Zombieland movie and it was great. Zombieland: Double Tap features four different types of Zombies: Homer, a dumb zombie, Hawking, a smart zombie, Ninja, a subtle zombie, and finally a T-800, a powerful, nearly indestructible zombie. So anyway the survivors are still killing zombies. There were new people in this movie. Columbus was proposed his girlfriend to marry him but she refused his offer to marry him. She left the team with the other girl (I forgot what her name is). So anyway Columbus and Tallahassee met a new girl who was Valley High California type but not very bright. So she tags along and joins the team. Columbus and the blonde girl hit it off and they became boyfriend and girlfriend. Soon his ex-girlfriend returns because the other girl ditches her and along with Berkley a new guy. Then everything went full-blown bonkers but everybody survives. So anyway the movie was good. It was very cinematic and climatic to show survivors to survive the zombie apocalypse. This movie is good but not Oscar-worthy in my opinion. I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars for a good movie. :smile:

JadedDM
2019-10-27, 06:30 PM
Did anyone else notice? They introduced four new zombie types in this movie: Homers, Hawkings, Ninjas and T-800s and yet...

Nowhere did ninjas appear anywhere in the film (except for their introduction, I mean). The group saw at least two Homers, one Hawking and a whole lot of T-800s, but no Ninjas. Or maybe there were Ninjas...but they were so stealthy, nobody--even the audience--saw them. :smallwink:

Muz
2019-10-30, 06:41 PM
Did anyone else notice? They introduced four new zombie types in this movie: Homers, Hawkings, Ninjas and T-800s and yet...

Nowhere did ninjas appear anywhere in the film (except for their introduction, I mean). The group saw at least two Homers, one Hawking and a whole lot of T-800s, but no Ninjas. Or maybe there were Ninjas...but they were so stealthy, nobody--even the audience--saw them. :smallwink:

There was one. It attacked from under the RV and tried to bite Madison's ankle, IIRC. They even said, "Ninja!" (Though if they hadn't said that, I honestly wouldn't have thought to classify it as one, myself...)

Zalabim
2019-10-31, 03:27 AM
There was one. It attacked from under the RV and tried to bite Madison's ankle, IIRC. They even said, "Ninja!" (Though if they hadn't said that, I honestly wouldn't have thought to classify it as one, myself...)

Did they? I heard the Hawking call out for the one that climbed the roof, but I didn't catch any Ninja call out there. Also, does it count as a ninja if it fails its sneak attack?

Speaking of Madison, while she did pretend to be dumber than she actually was, any bets on whether she picked up on the "hometown instead of name" convention, or if her name was actually Madison?

Starbuck_II
2019-10-31, 11:35 AM
I think she might have picked up some things.
I don't think she was dumb, just not educated, she knew things she focused on, but that was a small group of things.

Thought it was pretty good.

Why didn't they hide outside/bury their guns before going at that town?

Calemyr
2019-10-31, 12:51 PM
Caught this and Joker as a double feature with a couple friends a week ago. Joker was the better movie, but this one was definitely the more fun.

It was mostly more of the same, but this is more of the same Zombieland, and thus a fun and cynical take on the genre.

Madison was a fun addition, more for the snark surrounding her than for her own performance, but I'd pay to see a Zombieland 3 where she manages to evolve into a badass survivor while still remaining true to herself.

Nevada was a true treasure, though. Tough and no-nonsense and able to just step in as the matriarch of that screwed up little family. They didn't overplay her, they didn't underplay her, it was a perfect blend and she just fit in like she was born for it.

The Homer zombies were a dumb little addition, true, but I liked how they were used: this big brute zombies that show up just when things get look ready to snap and the tension starts to mount again and then every just shrugs and goes "False alarm! It's just a Homer!" and they pose no particular threat to anything. It's a amusing tension break and they didn't overuse it.

Bill Murray. Good saints, that was fun. I mean, I was already chuckling at the whole "I almost Murrayed you!" thing in the first place, but the end credits just brought it home. I gotta think Bill Murray just had a blast with that, just mocking the inanity of the movie circuit and then going full goofball zombie slayer on day 1 of Zombieland.

It was mostly more of the same. It didn't really accomplish anything, to the point that I could almost believe they could last ten years in a zombie apocalypse and nothing really notable happened in that time.

I couldn't stand Berkley and the Babylon group. Madison was a charming kind of stupid. She wanted to get along and fit in even if she didn't really have the ruthless edge that even Columbus manages a little. She's also honest. Berkley, on the other hand, is preachy, obstructive, and manipulative on top of annoying. We weren't supposed to like him and, by god, mission accomplished. This movie needed five minutes with in an empty room with just Tallahassee, Berkley, and a rubber mallet.

The "evolved" zombies were a let-down. Homers worked for comedy relief, but they just completely wasted the setup they made. The one T-800 was near unstoppable, but the swarm of them were no more threatening than the run-of-the-mill cannon fodder and we only ever see one each of the Hawking and Ninja after the intro. That could have been such an awesome scene, using a mixture of them. A T-800 vanguard leading a swarm of the classics, going up against a cunningly constructed defense made by brilliant (if hippie) people, with Hawkings and Ninja popping up at inopportune times to gum up the works, forcing the Family to step up. The Monster Truck Mosh Pit and Buffalo Run were decent, but it could have been so much more with a little more thought.

The doppelgangers were weak. The concept was amusing, slightly, but they weren't developed well and the smirking asides weren't worth the painful telegraph. Not a big deal, really, and the fight scene it spawned was pretty solid, but I was checking my watch during that scene. As an absurd aside, I would have much rather given the commandments to Madison - can you imagine the kind of list would spawn from a valley girl approach to pragmatic survival in a zombie apocalypse? Like a satirical Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Er... more satirical? That'd be worth the ticket alone.

Short version: Dumb fun. I enjoyed it.

JadedDM
2019-10-31, 05:21 PM

I remember the scene you are describing, but not anyone yelling "Ninja!" But I might have just missed it in the moment. I'll keep an ear out next time I see the movie.

RossN
2019-10-31, 07:56 PM
Did they? I heard the Hawking call out for the one that climbed the roof, but I didn't catch any Ninja call out there. Also, does it count as a ninja if it fails its sneak attack?

Speaking of Madison, while she did pretend to be dumber than she actually was, any bets on whether she picked up on the "hometown instead of name" convention, or if her name was actually Madison?

A girl with a nut allergy severe enough to nearly kill her who happily chews down on a bag of trail mix without at least checking to see what was in there isn't just pretending to be dumb. I think she's genuinely intended to be a bit dim.

Now I don't mean that as a criticism - I actually really liked Madison, and found her cluelessness funny and her niceness and sweetness refreshing compared with our more cynical heroes.

I also definitely think her name really is Madison.

JadedDM
2019-10-31, 10:07 PM
A girl with a nut allergy severe enough to nearly kill her who happily chews down on a bag of trail mix without at least checking to see what was in there isn't just pretending to be dumb. I think she's genuinely intended to be a bit dim.

Don't forget the best part of that scene.

She explained she only did it because she thought the trail mix was 'vegan.'

The Glyphstone
2019-11-03, 06:52 PM
So, that was good. Nothing innovative, but it delivered on everything that made Zombieland enjoyable, just more of it. Only got one solid laugh out of me - Tallahassee's joke about Rule 32 - but I had a solid grin pasted on my face the whole time.

I'll admit to being disappointed when Babylon was played straight. Outright hippie pacifists in the zombie post-apocalypse fall into Too Dumb To Live for me, especially after who knows how many years. I was really hoping for a third-act reveal along the lines of 'we're pacifists, not stupid. Zombies don't count anyways' before they break out the hidden arsenal and lay waste to the T-800s (who suffered severely from the Inverse Ninja Law). But Nevada was, as said above, an absolutely perfect addition to the cast. Madison started to grate on me after a little while though, in a similar sense to Babylon - how does someone survive ten years while being that dumb?

Mordar
2019-11-05, 02:49 PM
Madison started to grate on me after a little while though, in a similar sense to Babylon - how does someone survive ten years while being that dumb?

Tallahassee explained that one. Its even in the trailer. :smallwink:

That being said I loved that she was the Uber Airhead. Yes, intended.

- M