PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Does the Giant have a backup plan?

onigame
2019-10-27, 01:12 AM
The recent (public) implosion of Erfworld reminds me about how much the mortality of creator-owned works can be tied to their creators.

If I remember correctly, J. Michael Straczynski has mentioned that he had plans for how Babylon 5 would have continued in case of his prolonged absence or incapacitation -- he had script and plot outlines stored in a vault somewhere. Dave Sim once joked (or perhaps he meant it completely seriously) that if he died before Cerebus was complete, all the remaining issues would be drawn without any characters or dialogue and just purely be Gerhard's background drawings.

Obviously, such plans tend to only make sense if the author has generally plotted the story to hit a definite conclusion. And some authors are probably more acutely worried about how their own physical mortality might affect their art's immortality than others.

Does anyone know what, if anything, Rich has mentioned anything along these lines as per Order of the Stick? I've read through thread of the list of the Giant's comments and nothing popped out as being relevant.

DataNinja
2019-10-27, 02:02 AM
There was a locked thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384469-Does-Rich-have-quot-estate-planning-quot-for-OotS) from a while back that I recall about regarding this. So, that's everything you'll get on that subject, and it should be left at that (as the prior thread on the matter was locked).

Peelee
2019-10-27, 08:09 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Second verse, same as the first.

Sheriff: This thread is going to stay closed. Only Rich can answer the underlying question, so this thread has nowhere to go but around in circles about the propriety of the question. While I know that describes three quarters of the threads in this section of the forum, this one's a bit different, in that it's not about the comic but about the person.

I would advise avoiding questions about Rich's personal, private life (and, by extension) death. While they don't necessarily violate the Forum Rules, they also don't produce much other than argument about whether that's appropriate to ask and a red-text thread lock.