PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Flurry of Blows

Yael
2019-10-27, 04:57 AM
I was building kinda of a stand user, with a combination on Barbarian, Monk, and Fighter. I noticed the Monk is pretty capped on how many times he can spend his ki per turn, so would it be too bad of a fix to change its Flurry of Blows to:

Flurry of Blows.
Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
Or change its Martial Arts feature?

Martial Arts
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
This may boost a bit action economy on the Monk as it allows a more consistent flurry of blows. I'm not saying change both, but would edit one or the other would be that unbalanced?
'cause y'know, non-casters are totally unbalanced.

This post, blue means sarcasm.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 05:19 AM
There is a stand user monk already: Way of the Astral Self from UA.

You open more bonus action attacks as you level up.
As you level up you open the ability to summon more parts of your stand.

I am only started part 4 so I may miss some important characteristics of a stand but it seems fitting.

Yunru
2019-10-27, 05:25 AM
Well the first is pretty terrible for one reason:
the amount of rolling.

Let's say a level 5 Monk sinks all their points into Flurry of Blows to nova (worse still if they're an Open Hand Monk), that's 10 extra attacks that has to be made before someone else gets a turn (plus any saving throws from being Open Hand).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 05:32 AM
Well the first is pretty terrible for one reason:
the amount of rolling.

Let's say a level 5 Monk sinks all their points into Flurry of Blows to nova (worse still if they're an Open Hand Monk), that's 10 extra attacks that has to be made before someone else gets a turn (plus any saving throws from being Open Hand).

But you can fix it with an automatic roller especially if you already configured a roll for X amount of flurry of Blows.

I thuthink that the first one is more in the flavour of a stand but the second one is more balanced.

But you know, there are table that doesn't care about balance.

Yael
2019-10-27, 05:57 AM
There is a stand user monk already: Way of the Astral Self from UA.

You open more bonus action attacks as you level up.
As you level up you open the ability to summon more parts of your stand.

I am only started part 4 so I may miss some important characteristics of a stand but it seems fitting.

I checked it already, but using it renders Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows, as it still takes a bonus action to extra attack, even if it doesn't cost ki to extra attack this way. I do like, however, that attack and damage are calculated with Wisdom, it fits with the "fighting spirit" that stands do represent. So I thought of having Fighter as the dominant class (11-15 levels?) for the action surge, extra attacks, fighting styles and archetypes (probably something useful there), and Monk for the extra use for attacks with Ki (5-9 levels?), and stick barbarian (0-3 levels?) for the Path of the Ancestral Guardian (stand-ish flavored ability), though I am reconsidering the more I think about Astral Self, so that's why I thought of the changes to MArts and FoB, to pair up with its extra attacks, then I could focus on Monk, probably.

Edit: Have a nice reading/watching, Jojo gets better by the chapter/episode!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-27, 06:28 AM
I checked it already, but using it renders Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows, as it still takes a bonus action to extra attack, even if it doesn't cost ki to extra attack this way. I do like, however, that attack and damage are calculated with Wisdom, it fits with the "fighting spirit" that stands do represent. So I thought of having Fighter as the dominant class (11-15 levels?) for the action surge, extra attacks, fighting styles and archetypes (probably something useful there), and Monk for the extra use for attacks with Ki (5-9 levels?), and stick barbarian (0-3 levels?) for the Path of the Ancestral Guardian (stand-ish flavored ability), though I am reconsidering the more I think about Astral Self, so that's why I thought of the changes to MArts and FoB, to pair up with its extra attacks, then I could focus on Monk, probably.

Edit: Have a nice reading/watching, Jojo gets better by the chapter/episode!

I think that the fighter is a waste.
This monk attack 6 times a turn at level 17.
Maybe 3 fighter(champion for stronger attacks or BM for more stando power) will help or 3 barb depends on what you think is more important.

Edit:
Thank you, it is really nice to watch.

Yunru
2019-10-27, 06:41 AM
Also if you're looking a more Stardust Crusaders character, you'll want a Paladin.
They have the most auras.

Lunali
2019-10-27, 09:25 AM
In general a ki point is worth roughly one attack, or slightly less damage if the damage is guaranteed. It's not completely unreasonable to allow a monk to spend more ki for more attacks, but you should still keep it to roughly one ki per attack.

RatElemental
2019-10-27, 09:32 AM
Most stands do stuff other than just straight up pummeling things, so this is a particularly problematic thing to represent in game unless you're playing pathfinder where you can just be a summoner who uses their eidolon as a stand. Even astral form monk isn't very stand like, it's more like incarnum where you wear your soul as a suit of armor rather than manifesting your soul as a discrete entity with unique abilities.

Of course, now this is gonna bug me until I find a way to actually build a stand user.

Yael
2019-10-27, 10:04 PM
Most stands do stuff other than just straight up pummeling things, so this is a particularly problematic thing to represent in game unless you're playing pathfinder where you can just be a summoner who uses their eidolon as a stand. Even astral form monk isn't very stand like, it's more like incarnum where you wear your soul as a suit of armor rather than manifesting your soul as a discrete entity with unique abilities.

Of course, now this is gonna bug me until I find a way to actually build a stand user.

Yeah, especially in later parts when stands are less humanoid-like and more like what the hell is that? I was focusing more on a Star Platinum-ish version, ready to ORAORAORAORAORAORA enemies into retirement.

RatElemental
2019-10-28, 01:48 AM
Yeah, especially in later parts when stands are less humanoid-like and more like what the hell is that? I was focusing more on a Star Platinum-ish version, ready to ORAORAORAORAORAORA enemies into retirement.

I guess astral self does hold up in most cases, especially if you fluff the astral form's reach as it flying a little bit away from your body instead of just being really big. Can pick up a cantrip for your magician's reds and hierophant greens too.

I guess the hermit purples and emporers or the world are better served with some other class.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-28, 02:27 AM
I guess astral self does hold up in most cases, especially if you fluff the astral form's reach as it flying a little bit away from your body instead of just being really big. Can pick up a cantrip for your magician's reds and hierophant greens too.

I guess the hermit purples and emporers or the world are better served with some other class.

Hermit purple can be done with divination magic and thorn whip.