PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How would you rule this?

Throne12
2019-10-27, 02:13 PM
So I like to try different things and use everything thing I have. So I was looking at my spells and thinking about combos I could pull off. So I have the light cantrip and the spell fog Cloud. And was thinking if I cast light on a enemy. Lighting them up then next turn cast fog cloud. I'm hoping to counseling out this disadvantage from fog cloud for me and my party. Thinking we can see the light even in the fog.

Also something else I was thinking about is using. Is using dancing lights to circle around an enemy head. Making it bright and shining in there eyes. In hope of giving them disadvantage on Perception checks based on sight.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-27, 02:20 PM
So I like to try different things and use everything thing I have. So I was looking at my spells and thinking about combos I could pull off. So I have the light cantrip and the spell fog Cloud. And was thinking if I cast light on a enemy. Lighting them up then next turn cast fog cloud. I'm hoping to counseling out this disadvantage from fog cloud for me and my party. Thinking we can see the light even in the fog.

Also something else I was thinking about is using. Is using dancing lights to circle around an enemy head. Making it bright and shining in there eyes. In hope of giving them disadvantage on Perception checks based on sight.

From reading Fog Cloud and Heavily obscured I'd say no from a RAW perspective. However I can see a DM wanting to reward a PC for being creative if they manage to actually tag the enemy with Light.

Anymage
2019-10-27, 02:28 PM

I'd rule that you could spot the square, but they'd still be heavily obscured and thus impose disadvantage. There are enough other drawbacks to the plan to make it questionable; you have to be within touch range in order to cast Light, they get a dex save in order to prevent you from lighting up one of their items, and they can just step outside of the fog radius. So it's better than just fog clouding and just blindly picking a square if they move, but not stupidly strong.

You're also creating a pretty noteworthy distraction, so disadvantage on sight based perception checks should work.

Of course, such an obvious distraction will tip them off that something is up, and appropriate measures will be taken. So they may not know what you look like or what exact path you took, but you just blew any chance of stealth you may have had.

(Before you ask: I'd rule that Dancing Lights in combat could be used to justify a ranged help action. It still takes one action to cast, and afterwards eats your concentration, the bonus action to move them, and an action for Help. Might be better than firebolting at first level, but the opportunity cost gets steep very quickly as you go up in levels.)