Trandir
2019-10-28, 04:02 AM
Haunted Armor (0.4)

Ability Scores: Con +1, Cha +2
Size: see Possession Ritual
Speed: 30ft.
Languages: any that their former self knew. Usually common and another one
Undead: you now are a spirit as such you creature type is undead

Age: spirits that are strong enough to possess object and to link themselves tend to be quite old, but sometimes a strong willed person might be able to perform such things immediatley after his death. As such a Possessed Armor age range is increadibly vast. Since they are unaffected by time in this state they are unable to die of natural causes .

Alignement: a young spirit that posses an armor usually share the same allignement as their previous self. As time go on some of them tend to change how they view the world shifting thowards chaotic neutral.

Appearence: the size of an haunted armor depends on the armor that it is currently possessing. For exemple a haunted dwarven armor's height and weight will be that of the average dwarf that was ment to wear that armor. Inside the armor the spirit appears as a shifting mass of slime clear and almost ethereal. But usually hunded armors use their powers to mold themselves to match the features of most humanoids.

Possession Ritual.
After you finish a long rest you are able to perform a bonding ritual to possess another suit of armor that you are proficient with whose size is small or medium. This ritual takes 1 hour to be completed. After you complete this ritual your size will match that of the armor. If the armor is nonmagical it becomes a magic item, granting +1 AC, until you perform Possession Ritual on another armor.

Armored Vessel
A spirit that inhabits an armor is still an armored foe.
You are always considered wearing armor, and you gain all bonus from the armor you are currently possessing.

No Body, No Problem.
Not having relying on flesh can sometimes be an advantage since you now benefit from the following bonus:

You gain advantage on saving throws against being poisoned and you have resistance to poison damage.
You are immune to disease.
You don't need to eat, drink or breathe.
You don't need to sleep and are unaffected by exaustion caused by the lack of sleep.
You gain the benefits of a long rest after 6 hours of any activity that require low effort to complete such as reading or clearing your body armor.

Martial Training.
Being linked to an armor for so long allowed you to hunderstand how they work and to practice in the art of combat for years. You gain light armor proficiency and you gain proficiency in one weapon of your choice.

Ghostly Deceptions.
You gain proficiency in the Deception skill. Also you can change your appearence to look like a body inside the armor. The body can have any shape or trait as long as it is inside the armor. Unsuspected observers won't even notice it the but upon close inspection one can see through your disguise if it pass an investigation check with DC 8+Prof bonus+Cha mod.

Soooo what do you think?

JNAProductions
2019-10-28, 09:34 AM
Seems kinda janky, and not very strong. I mean, it's a race, so weak is okay (class makes up much more of your abilities than race) but you could stand to make it stronger, and clean up the text.

Maybe something like...

Possessed Armor

Ability Score Improvements
Your Constitution increases by 1.

Size
You are usually Medium; however, see Armored Vessel.

Speed
Your speed is 30'.

Armored Vessel
You are capable of taking over suits of armor, as an animating spirit. While possessing armor, you gain AC as appropriate to its type if you are proficient in the armor, including any magical bonuses. If you are not, then you gain the following bonuses:

Medium Armor-+1 to AC
Heavy Armor-+2 to AC, maximum Dexterity bonus that can be applied to AC is +3

Once per long rest, you may perform an hour-long ritual to possess a new suit of armor. If you possess a Small-sized suit of armor, your size changes to Small.

Armored Body
You gain significant benefits from being not fleshy.

-You have advantage on saves against poison and resistance to poison damage.
-You are immune to disease.
-You don't need to eat or drink.
-You do not require sleep, and are immune to exhaustion caused by lack of sleep. As such, you may stand watch for an entire long rest without losing the bonuses, though you must still avoid strenuous activities.

Note that, despite lacking lungs, the animating force of your armor does require a certain amount of open space. Mechanically, you may hold your breath for ten times as long as an ordinary being, but prolonged trips underwater or similar remain impossible.

Martial Training
You are proficient in Light Armor and any two weapons of your choice.

Mutability
Your subrace depends on what armor you currently have possessed. When you claim a new type of armor, remove all existing subrace traits and apply the new ones. Note that if your Ability Score Improvements would bring you above your natural maximum (usually 20) you may choose to instead leave your ability scores as they are-you CANNOT exceed your normal maximum by changing subraces.

Light

Ability Score Improvement
Your Dexterity increases by 2.

Swift
Your speed is 35'.

Nimble
You may, once per short rest, Dodge as a bonus action.

Medium

Your Strength and Constitution each increase by 1.

Resilient
You may, once per short rest, gain advantage on a save before rolling without spending an action.

Versatile
You gain proficiency in any one tool of your choice.

Heavy

Your Strength increases by 2.

Tough
Your HP increases by 1 for every level you have.

Hardy
You may, as a reaction, reduce damage taken from bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus. You may not apply this to magic damage unless your armor is magical.

Trandir
2019-10-28, 10:57 AM
Seems kinda janky, and not very strong. I mean, it's a race, so weak is okay (class makes up much more of your abilities than race) but you could stand to make it stronger, and clean up the text.

Maybe something like...

Possessed Armor

Your Constitution increases by 1.

Size
You are usually Medium; however, see Armored Vessel.

Speed
Your speed is 30'.

Armored Vessel
You are capable of taking over suits of armor, as an animating spirit. While possessing armor, you gain AC as appropriate to its type if you are proficient in the armor, including any magical bonuses. If you are not, then you gain the following bonuses:

Medium Armor-+1 to AC
Heavy Armor-+2 to AC, maximum Dexterity bonus that can be applied to AC is +3

Once per long rest, you may perform an hour-long ritual to possess a new suit of armor. If you possess a Small-sized suit of armor, your size changes to Small.

Armored Body
You gain significant benefits from being not fleshy.

-You have advantage on saves against poison and resistance to poison damage.
-You are immune to disease.
-You don't need to eat or drink.
-You do not require sleep, and are immune to exhaustion caused by lack of sleep. As such, you may stand watch for an entire long rest without losing the bonuses, though you must still avoid strenuous activities.

Note that, despite lacking lungs, the animating force of your armor does require a certain amount of open space. Mechanically, you may hold your breath for ten times as long as an ordinary being, but prolonged trips underwater or similar remain impossible.

Martial Training
You are proficient in Light Armor and any two weapons of your choice.

Mutability
Your subrace depends on what armor you currently have possessed. When you claim a new type of armor, remove all existing subrace traits and apply the new ones. Note that if your Ability Score Improvements would bring you above your natural maximum (usually 20) you may choose to instead leave your ability scores as they are-you CANNOT exceed your normal maximum by changing subraces.

Light

Your Dexterity increases by 2.

Swift
Your speed is 35'.

Nimble
You may, once per short rest, Dodge as a bonus action.

Medium

Your Strength and Constitution each increase by 1.

Resilient
You may, once per short rest, gain advantage on a save before rolling without spending an action.

Versatile
You gain proficiency in any one tool of your choice.

Heavy

Your Strength increases by 2.

Tough
Your HP increases by 1 for every level you have.

Hardy
You may, as a reaction, reduce damage taken from bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus. You may not apply this to magic damage unless your armor is magical.

Ok you are right my current version is quite cluncky. And probably weak. It needs some changes.

FilthyLucre
2019-10-28, 12:04 PM
Possessed Armor (0.2)

Ability Scores: Con +1, Cha +2
Size: see Possession Ritual
Speed: 30ft.

Age: spirits that are strong enough to possess object and to link themselves tend to be quite old, but sometimes a strong willed person might be able to perform such things immediatley after his death. As such a Possessed Armor age range is increadibly vast. Since they are unaffected by time in this state they are unable to die of natural causes .

Alignement: most young possessed armors share the same allignement as their previous self. As time go on some of them tend to change how they view the world shifting thowards chaotic neutral.

Size: your size depends on the armor that you are currently possessing. For exemple if you possess a dwarven armor then your height and weight will be that of the average dwarf that was ment to wear that armor.
Languages: any that their former self knew.

Possession Ritual.
After you finish a long rest you are able to perform a bonding ritual to possess another suit of armor if that armor size is small or medium. This ritual takes 1 hour to be completed. After you complete this ritual you also gain proficiency in the type of armor that you currently inhabit and your size will match that of the armor.

Armored Vessel
A spirit that inhabits an armor is still an armored foe.
You are always considered wearing armor, and you gain all bonus from the armor you are currently possessing.

No Body, No Problem.
Not having relying on flesh can sometimes be an advantage since you now benefit from the following bonus:

You gain advantage on saving throws against being poisoned and you have resistance to poison damage.
You are immune to disease.
You don't need to eat, drink or breathe.
You don't need to sleep and are unaffected by exaustion caused by the lack of sleep.
You gain the benefits of a long rest after 6 hours of resing, during this time you appear as an unattended suit of armor but you can still see and hear as normal.

Martial Training.
Being linked to an armor for so long allowed you to hunderstand how they work and to practice in the art of combat for years. You gain proficiency in two weapons of your choice.

Ghostly Deceptions.
You gain proficiency in the Deception skill. Also you can create the illusion of a body inside the armor. The body can have any shape or trait as long as it is inside the armor. Unsuspected observers can't notice the illusion but upon close inspection with an investigation check with DC 8+Prof bonus+Cha mod will reveal that there is an illusion on your face.

Soooo what do you think?

Reflavor war forged.

Trandir
2019-10-28, 12:12 PM
Reflavor war forged.

Was it really necessary to quote the OP?

Anyway Yes a warforged would be a just fine possessed/animated armor with a conservated body inside of it and with the integrated protection locked. But in about 3 weeks we will se the warforged and it might change.

Also they have a bit too much and it's more fun to homebrew a "possessed/animated armor race" rather than reskin one that already exists.

JNAProductions
2019-10-28, 12:57 PM
Reflavor war forged.

How about something NOT brutally OP? :P

jjordan
2019-10-28, 02:39 PM
I'd do this as a monster rather than a playable race.

+1 to Str, +1 to Dex, +1 to Cha
Lives on the life-force of the wearer and harvests (1d4)/2 HP (rounded up) per level of the wearer AFTER they have recovered HP from each long rest.
Wear gets: Resistance to Frightened, Resistance to Fatigue/Exhaustion, Resistance to Poisoning
For each 12 hours the armor is not worn the wearer must make a DC25 Con or take 2 levels of exhaustion (1 level if they make the save) and are at disadvantage on all actions for the next 12 hours (shaking, sweating, irritable, unable to concentrate) and have a -1 Con. After three successful saves (without putting the armor back on) the wearer has weaned themselves from the armor and will not feel any need to wear the armor again. The -1 Con is permanent, however.

Sleek, black plate with a chitinous appearance. Slowly sizes itself to fit the wearer over the course of two days and fits like a custom made glove thereafter. While wearing the armor/parasite the wearer feels extremely confident and energetic and aggressive and sees tangible benefits to strength and dexerity. The armor feeds on the life force of the individual and is highly invested in keeping it's host alive. The armor has animal cunning but not sentience and doesn't understand spoken languages. The wearer will find excuses to keep wearing the armor and will feel uncomfortable when not wearing it. This will become full-on withdrawal after 12 hours.

Trandir
2019-10-28, 04:24 PM
I'd do this as a monster rather than a playable race.

+1 to Str, +1 to Dex, +1 to Cha
Lives on the life-force of the wearer and harvests (1d4)/2 HP (rounded up) per level of the wearer AFTER they have recovered HP from each long rest.
Wear gets: Resistance to Frightened, Resistance to Fatigue/Exhaustion, Resistance to Poisoning
For each 12 hours the armor is not worn the wearer must make a DC25 Con or take 2 levels of exhaustion (1 level if they make the save) and are at disadvantage on all actions for the next 12 hours (shaking, sweating, irritable, unable to concentrate) and have a -1 Con. After three successful saves (without putting the armor back on) the wearer has weaned themselves from the armor and will not feel any need to wear the armor again. The -1 Con is permanent, however.

Sleek, black plate with a chitinous appearance. Slowly sizes itself to fit the wearer over the course of two days and fits like a custom made glove thereafter. While wearing the armor/parasite the wearer feels extremely confident and energetic and aggressive and sees tangible benefits to strength and dexerity. The armor feeds on the life force of the individual and is highly invested in keeping it's host alive. The armor has animal cunning but not sentience and doesn't understand spoken languages. The wearer will find excuses to keep wearing the armor and will feel uncomfortable when not wearing it. This will become full-on withdrawal after 12 hours.

That's intresting and is also more along the lines of a cursed item rather then either a playable race or a monster

FilthyLucre
2019-10-28, 04:33 PM
How about something NOT brutally OP? :P

It easily adapts to fit the theme, it's WotC published, and it's the least amount of effort to implement - and their "OPness" is open to debate. Reflavoring should always come before creating new rules.

Trandir
2019-10-28, 06:07 PM
It easily adapts to fit the theme, it's WotC published, and it's the least amount of effort to implement - and their "OPness" is open to debate. Reflavoring should always come before creating new rules.

Well first of all warforged won't be legal for another 20 days.
Second reflavor is the best way to go if you lack either the fantasy to create a new race/class/item or if your DM doesn't allow anything mechanically different from what's published in the books.

Zhorn
2019-10-28, 08:21 PM
Well first of all warforged won't be legal for another 20 days.
Huh, I thought Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was considered official

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1021495845223636994
"This is 100% official content for Eberron."
And isn't it AL legal as a +1 for Eberron campaigns/content?

Anyway, back on topic;
I agree that repurposing an existing ruleset is the ideal goal before homebrewing, but just because Wargorged exists doesn't mean the OP is barred from making their own thing. I for one am interested in seeing where they go with this concept.

Trandir
2019-10-29, 03:17 AM
Huh, I thought Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was considered official

And isn't it AL legal as a +1 for Eberron campaigns/content?

To quote page 4 of wayfinder's guide to eberron

Bear in mind: this book presents my current vision of Eberron. This is the world I run at my own table and the way that I’ve converted its ideas to fifth edition. The game mechanics are usable in your campaign, but at this time they aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t permitted in D&D Adventurers League events.

Zhorn
2019-10-29, 04:47 AM
To quote page 4 of wayfinder's guide to eberron
I've found an article that quote that page, but also goes on about using Eberron in AL.
https://www.geeknative.com/62429/wizards-coast-pull-welcome-u-turn-eberron-dds-adventurers-league/

Your 1st-level character is created using any race and class options in the Player’s Handbook, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, and the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron. Bugbears, goblins, and hobgoblins from Volo’s Guide to Monsters are also available for use. No other resources are available—even if other campaign documentation (i.e., certs) otherwise allow it.

Granted it is Eberron specific (as mentioned in my previous post), so it's not usable across the board. But still, If Adventures has documents and content that references it, it at the very least is not-'not AL legal'... I think? :smallconfused:

Anyway, besides the point.
Haunted Armor. Love the concept, looking forward to seeing this develop, I have nothing to add... Unless you enjoy a reference to Hector's love of meatloaf...
http://www.squidi.net/comic/amd/comic/amd2-025.png

Trandir
2019-10-29, 05:41 AM
Right now back to homebrewing.
I made some changes

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-29, 01:52 PM
Right now back to homebrewing.
I made some changes

Can you post a log with the changes?

Trandir
2019-10-29, 02:11 PM
Can you post a log with the changes?

Sure.

Ability Score changed from Con +1 and two of the following Str, Con, Wis, Cha to Con +1, Cha +2

Added lore section.

Possession Ritual no longer provides proficiency in the armor that you inhabit and insted requires that you are proficient in the type of armor you are casting the ritual on.

Shortened the Armored Vessel's trait description.

No Flesh, No Problem trait is now called No Body, No Problem.

Martial Training now provides one weapon proficiency and light and medium armor proficiency instead of two weapons.

Better wording for Ghostly Deceptions

MReav
2019-10-29, 11:44 PM
I immediately think Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist.

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-30, 01:35 AM
Possession Ritual no longer provides proficiency in the armor that you inhabit and insted requires that you are proficient in the type of armor you are casting the ritual on.

Martial Training now provides one weapon proficiency and light and medium armor proficiency instead of two weapons.

I like the new version of a Possession Ritual but the idea of giving medium armor proficiency still don't convince me... This is a great boost if someone choose a caster class then.

Trandir
2019-10-30, 03:44 AM
I like the new version of a Possession Ritual but the idea of giving medium armor proficiency still don't convince me... This is a great boost if someone choose a caster class then.

I mean the race as it is as actual boosts offers:

+3 ability scores
1 skill proficiency
1 weapon proficiency
light and medium armor proficiency
some of the usual immunities and poison resistance

It doesnt seems that much everything considered. Most full casters already have light armor proficiency and the two that doesn't have mage armor so we are looking at 14/15 vs 17 with the same investment and this difference is reduced if you invest more than a 14 in Dex.

Could you also propose a change since you are not convinced by the current state of the "race"?

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-30, 06:26 AM
I mean the race as it is as actual boosts offers:

+3 ability scores
1 skill proficiency
1 weapon proficiency
light and medium armor proficiency
some of the usual immunities and poison resistance

It doesnt seems that much everything considered. Most full casters already have light armor proficiency and the two that doesn't have mage armor so we are looking at 14/15 vs 17 with the same investment and this difference is reduced if you invest more than a 14 in Dex.

Could you also propose a change since you are not convinced by the current state of the "race"?

You're right, but 2/3 points to AC are not few. The only thing that comes to mind is to make something that slightly hinders the spellcasting. You could also remove the armor proficiencies, giving the possibility to infest even garments and tunics, but you would lose part of the flavour.

Right now, with the +2 to Charisma and the medium armor proficiency, this race seems to me an almost obligatory choice to make a sorcerer.

PS: you should add the Immutable Form trait typical of constructs.

Trandir
2019-10-30, 07:14 AM
You're right, but 2/3 points to AC are not few. The only thing that comes to mind is to make something that slightly hinders the spellcasting. You could also remove the armor proficiencies, giving the possibility to infest even garments and tunics, but you would lose part of the flavour.

Right now, with the +2 to Charisma and the medium armor proficiency, this race seems to me an almost obligatory choice to make a sorcerer.

PS: you should add the Immutable Form trait typical of constructs.

I could renounce to the medium armor proficiency but I can't see an haunted robe. That's weird. Doing that might require some other "racial trait". Free thaumaturgy or minor illusion cantrip?

What about Str +1 Con +1 Cha +1?

And immutable form for what? You are an undead not a construct. Maybe the armor is ummune to shape changes but that opens a lot more weird interaction with enlarge, polymorph and the likes

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-30, 07:30 AM
I could renounce to the medium armor proficiency but I can't see an haunted robe. That's weird. Doing that might require some other "racial trait". Free thaumaturgy or minor illusion cantrip?

What about Str +1 Con +1 Cha +1?

And immutable form for what? You are an undead not a construct. Maybe the armor is ummune to shape changes but that opens a lot more weird interaction with enlarge, polymorph and the likes

To be honest, I recall that the animated armor is a construct, not an undead, but actually has no Immutable Form trait. I got confused.

For the casters, you could do this: Keep the proficiencies in light and medium armor, but specify that if this is the only source of proficency, you still gain the bonus to AC but you must perform some kind of Ability Check with your Spellcasting Ability everytime you cast a spell, with CD based on the armor you wear.

This is just an idea, don't take it like cast gold ^^

Trandir
2019-10-30, 08:17 AM
To be honest, I recall that the animated armor is a construct, not an undead, but actually has no Immutable Form trait. I got confused.

For the casters, you could do this: Keep the proficiencies in light and medium armor, but specify that if this is the only source of proficency, you still gain the bonus to AC but you must perform some kind of Ability Check with your Spellcasting Ability everytime you cast a spell, with CD based on the armor you wear.

This is just an idea, don't take it like cast gold ^^

You are right the animated armor is a construc but this is a haunted armor, no one casted animate object on you it's a spirit that moves it.

I don't think that 5e should have ASF again. It's easyer to take away medium armor proficiency and put there something else. I

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-30, 11:20 AM
You are right the animated armor is a construc but this is a haunted armor, no one casted animate object on you it's a spirit that moves it.

I don't think that 5e should have ASF again. It's easyer to take away medium armor proficiency and put there something else. I

Yes, the ASF is definitely demodé, but if you want to keep the middle armor proficiency you can think of something else. For example, you can give disadvantage on Concentration checks, and maybe reduce spells range, halving it if you wear an armor of a tier higher than the one for which you are proficent, or reducing it to a third if it is two times higher.

It might be nice to have wizards and sorcerers a little less caster but more armored.

Trandir
2019-10-30, 11:48 AM
Yes, the ASF is definitely demodé, but if you want to keep the middle armor proficiency you can think of something else. For example, you can give disadvantage on Concentration checks, and maybe reduce spells range, halving it if you wear an armor of a tier higher than the one for which you are proficent, or reducing it to a third if it is two times higher.

It might be nice to have wizards and sorcerers a little less caster but more armored.

It might work. What about this: lose medium armor proficiency and when you complete Possessing Ritual that armor can be considered a +1 armor?

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-30, 11:52 AM
It might work. What about this: lose medium armor proficiency and when you complete Possessing Ritual that armor can be considered a +1 armor?

You mean any armor and not only the light one, right? It should works.

Trandir
2019-10-30, 12:05 PM
You mean any armor and not only the light one, right? It should works.

Yep any. If you are a wizard you gain only light armor proficiency from the race so you could have 13+Dex AC, The same way a paladin GWF would have 17 AC with his chain mail. This has a good impact earlyer on and a not so great impact at later levels since enchanded armors should become more viable.

At this point this "race" seems to favor paladins, but that's all right avery race has a class perfect for them.