PDA

View Full Version : Help With Mechanics

bugsysservant
2007-10-17, 07:05 PM
I have always been a firm believer in matching mechanics to backstory, so, that being said...

I'm thinking of playing a warblade. His story is that he wants a heroic death. I'm not going to go into the reasons for this, but suffice to say that he is a middle aged, level one warblade. Unfortunately for him, he is unable to do this. Every time he tries to get himself killed in a way that will be remembered, he defies impossible odds in amazing feats of luck.

So, now the raw stats:
Ability scores (adjusted for age)
Intelligence 17
Wisdom 15
Charisma 13
Strength 14
Dexterity 13
Constitution 13

So far, I have done virtually nothing to plan him, besides four ranks in profession(accountant) and a bonus roleplaying feat skill focus (profession(accounting))

We are starting at level one, and will go till mid-high levels, we probably won't get to 20, but it is possible.

What I am looking for is any feat that will keep someone alive, preferably luck feats. All books are allowed, subject to DM approval. I want him to be able to charge at creatures who should kill him, and live. So, what feats will let him do this.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-17, 07:12 PM
DINGALINGABLING! Did someone say fortune's friend or hapless bystander (well, not exactly hapless in this case...)? They're not feats, but they're certainly fitting for a lucky man, particuarly fortune's friend.

bugsysservant
2007-10-17, 07:15 PM
I haven't heard of either. What sourcebook are they in? (and for future reference, could you list the source of your suggestions.)

If they are items, I can't rationalize them, as the guy isn't trying to stay alive, he's just lucky (much to his dismay)

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-17, 07:30 PM
Fortune's friend is in complete scoundrel (best luck feats book out there, of course), and hapless bystander...ACK! I can't remember where it was! Oh, and maybe try luckstealer from races of the wild.

As for feats, dumb luck and better lucky than good (Cscoundrel) are nice but situational, while survivors luck is much more useful, but it isn't necessary since you are a warblade.

Armads
2007-10-18, 06:54 AM
There's a luck feat called Tempting Fate, which lets you not die from hit point damage once per day.

Holocron Coder
2007-10-18, 07:12 AM
...Hapless Bystander? Are you talking about the low-level PrC I homebrewed? :smallbiggrin: Here ('http://tinyurl.com/2lsr8z')

If not, well, oops. Still, the PrC may be useful to ya.

Kyeudo
2007-10-18, 10:11 AM
I'd say instead of Skill Focus, take a luck feat from Complete Scoundrel. Load up on them to represent his crazy luck.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-18, 11:37 AM
Why do you need a useless feat for RP purposes? Can't he just have his normal skill points in it? You would do much better with getting all the luck feats from CS as fast you as you can. Fortune's Friend is definitely the PrC for you. Though this will lessen his offensive capability somewhat, but I guess that doesn't matter anyway.

The_Snark
2007-10-18, 11:43 AM
I think that by bonus roleplaying feat, he might have meant that the DM gives them a bonus feat that can't be useable in combat or be otherwise powerful.

The Heroic Destiny, Protected Destiny, and Fearless Destiny feats from Races of Destiny fit, but simple luck feats might work better; a couple of them do some of the same things, I know.