PDA

View Full Version : 3.x - Turning Any Construct Into A Real Boy?

unseenmage
2019-10-28, 02:34 PM
Assume Intelligent Magic Items are Constructs and Constructs count as Magjc Items.

What's the lowest level or cheapest or easiest method for making Intelligent Magic Items and other non-humanoid shaped Consteucts qualify for the Incatmrnate Construct spell?

Palanan
2019-10-28, 03:04 PM
Sorry, can't help myself. Wishing upon a star?

*runs away*

Thurbane
2019-10-28, 05:24 PM
Isn't there a PrC in Dragon Compendium that can change the shape of objects, including magical objects?

Here we go: the Shaper of Form... Like Begets Like (Su). At level 5, it can be used to reshape magic items. So, ECL 10, unless you can swing early entry.

Still a bit earlier than Polymorph Any Object, which would require suppressing the magic on the item.

You could also look at the Soulfused Construct template in MoI...

Malphegor
2019-10-29, 04:51 AM
Arguably if you had the thing as an item familiar it'd be sapient by the time you hit character level of 7.

Okay, so here's what I envisage. An Item Familiar dagger- its hilt has two little arms, it has a face on the start of the blade, and the handle is two little legs.

Now get to character level 7. It can think and communicate lightly.

Now keep going. Eventually get the Dancing enhancement at level 15.

Congratulations you now have now got a dagger child that can run around and dance for 4 rounds, communicate its thoughts, and generally do real boy things for that tiny burst of time.

Thurbane
2019-10-29, 09:15 PM
@ the OP: are you sure you want to use the Incarnate Construct option? It wipes all pretty much all special abilities, which may extend to magic item powers/properties.

A few stumbling blocks with the methods I was looking at:

> With a Shaper of Form 5 give the item a humanoid shape: just double-checked checked - duration is 24 hours for a magic item, which is annoying; you can double the duration with a feat from ToM, but I can't think of a way to make it a permanent change.

> The Soulfused Construct template gives the "construct" a Con score, making it a living construct. Unfortunately, it also gives it horrible mental scores (and a small Essentia pool). Problem is, you cannot have an Int score before you acquire the template...

> The Awaken Construct spell, AFAIK, does not specify that the target must be non-intelligent. This should fix the "problems" with Soulfused. Awaken won't work on "constructs that are constructs only temporarily", which may have issues with the Shaper of Form ability.

unseenmage
2019-10-29, 09:50 PM
Yeah, part of the original.idea was to use Incarnate Construct to neutralize enemy Constructs in a unique and give-the-GM-fun-stuff-to-adjudicate kind of way. ;)

Rebel7284
2019-10-29, 11:07 PM
Yeah, part of the original.idea was to use Incarnate Construct to neutralize enemy Constructs in a unique and give-the-GM-fun-stuff-to-adjudicate kind of way. ;)

You want to use a 9th level spell with a casting time of 8 hours and 5000XP cost to neutralize one enemy construct at a time? I mean, you can, just seems overkill.

unseenmage
2019-10-29, 11:17 PM
You want to use a 9th level spell with a casting time of 8 hours and 5000XP cost to neutralize one enemy construct at a time? I mean, you can, just seems overkill.

There are ways to drop that down.

And yeah, it is overkill. But it also literally makes a friend. :smallsmile:

Blue Jay
2019-10-30, 08:01 AM
The Awaken Construct spell, AFAIK, does not specify that the target must be non-intelligent. This should fix the "problems" with Soulfused. Awaken won't work on "constructs that are constructs only temporarily", which may have issues with the Shaper of Form ability.

I think the Spell Compendium took that spell away and replaced it with something very different that was a lot more restrictive. Look in the introduction: the sidebar that lists spell updates/replacements.

unseenmage
2019-10-30, 11:18 AM
I think the Spell Compendium took that spell away and replaced it with something very different that was a lot more restrictive. Look in the introduction: the sidebar that lists spell updates/replacements.

Spell Compendium's sidebar turned Minor Servitor from Savage Species (basically Create Awakened Animated Object) into Awaken Construct.

I still use Minor Servitor because I like it and replacing it seems nonsensical to me.

Thurbane
2019-10-30, 02:35 PM

Pretty sure I was looking at the SC version. It only has limits on shape "humanoid-shaped" and "does not work on constructs that are constructs only temporarily"...

Tvtyrant
2019-10-30, 02:41 PM
Polymorph-polymorph into animal.
Awaken animal

Polymorph-polymorph: Human boy.

Now they are a real boy.

Blue Jay
2019-10-30, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure I was looking at the SC version. It only has limits on shape "humanoid-shaped" and "does not work on constructs that are constructs only temporarily"...

No, you were right: I remembered it backwards.

Karl Aegis
2019-10-30, 05:28 PM
I hear Pathfinder's Bestiary 5 has a template for that. Tsukumogami or something.