PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sword and Board Fighter

Yunru
2019-10-28, 07:24 PM
So planning a character that uses an oversized longsword and a shield.
Ideally I'd pick up 2 levels of Barbarian for Reckless Attacker ASAP, but I'll be playing this character from 1st level which is a problem. Specifically keeping up at level 5.
Normally I'd just grab a bonus action attack feat, but one handed melee weapons sorta lack that.
Any advice welcome.

Zhorn
2019-10-28, 08:01 PM
I love the aesthetic you are going for here. Comically large weapons are my jam :smalltongue:

couple of ideas spring to mind:

Less fun idea: don't dive into the oversized weapon immediately. Get your first 5 levels in you chosen class before the barbarian dip, just ensuring to roleplay your character's interest in large weaponry so when you make the swap later it's not out of left field.

The contaminated idea: Variant Human Magic Initiate, SCAG sword cantrips. With canrips scaling off character level instead of class level, the delayed class level 5 shouldn't hold you back much, and Reckless Attack doesn't need Rage or the Attack Action to function, so you can take class levels in the order you need.

adolann
2019-10-28, 08:27 PM
Since Barbarians can use shields, why not just be a Barbarian? You say you want to use a big weapon and a shield, and get reckless attack. Barbarian covers that. What do you want to do outside of recklessly attacking with your weapon?

Yunru
2019-10-28, 09:02 PM
I love the aesthetic you are going for here. Comically large weapons are my jam :smalltongue:

couple of ideas spring to mind:

Less fun idea: don't dive into the oversized weapon immediately. Get your first 5 levels in you chosen class before the barbarian dip, just ensuring to roleplay your character's interest in large weaponry so when you make the swap later it's not out of left field.

The contaminated idea: Variant Human Magic Initiate, SCAG sword cantrips. With canrips scaling off character level instead of class level, the delayed class level 5 shouldn't hold you back much, and Reckless Attack doesn't need Rage or the Attack Action to function, so you can take class levels in the order you need.Didn't even think of the SCAG Cantrips, thanks!

Since Barbarians can use shields, why not just be a Barbarian? You say you want to use a big weapon and a shield, and get reckless attack. Barbarian covers that. What do you want to do outside of recklessly attacking with your weapon?
Because all the Rage stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

SVamp
2019-10-28, 09:25 PM
In my humble opinion, Paladin works better as sword n board than fighter, particularly with spear n shield w Pam.

Obviously Pam doesn’t work with a big sword, but being able to smite once you get a crit, and the improved divine smite, all make your sword fairly competitive, while rocking great AC and great saves. Duelist adds a bit of extra damage, shield master protects you from fireballs n such.

However, there might be a way to add an extra attack to sword n board without the spear. If you add spikes to your shield, and take tavern brawler to use the shield as an improvised weapon, a cooperative DM might allow you to do a TWF attack with your shield, at the cost of your shield AC for that round. (And again this extra attack gives you so much more when you can toss a divine smite if it’s a crit)

Anyway those are the only things that go through my mind trying to help, good luck :)

Yunru
2019-10-29, 07:38 AM
Thoughts on asking to swap Action Surge for Reckless Attack?

CheddarChampion
2019-10-29, 08:37 AM
Thoughts on asking to swap Action Surge for Reckless Attack?

Shoot for the moon.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-29, 10:48 AM
Horizon walkers and Monster Hunter's have useful bonus action abilities.'

As does the Unearthed Arcana Rune Knight which makes perfect sense for a Large weapon wielder