PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation on what class to try next?

Rfkannen
2019-10-28, 09:36 PM
I want to try playing a class I haven't before but I cant pick.

My experiences of the classes I've played:

Warlock, just hex and eldritch blast is boring, I should have (and probbably could have) made the character more interesting mechanically

Ranger: the stealth and spells were fun (stuff like ensnaring strike is very flavorful) but I never used favored enemy or terrain. Did not like being an archer that much.

Paladin: high charisma lent good out of combat powers, roleplaying an oath is a ton of fun, and the magical effects on melee attacks was cool.

Cleric: really liked being the big strong tank. The amount of healing I did felt kind of overkill as the fights weren't that tough, also felt like I lacked out of combat power. In combat spells like spiritual weapon and spirit guardians feel awesome!

Bard: still low level on this one. So far dissonant whispers and other spells like that are fun.

Artificer: I find this one really boring. Out of combat it's great but in combat I feel like I'm just spamming fire bolt and doing occasional low level spells

Fighter: ton of fun, I felt like a god of war with great weapon master and stuff.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Want to try something diffrent

firelistener
2019-10-28, 10:09 PM
I bet you'd like Druid a lot, and possibly barbarian. I love those two classes a lot, so my opinion's probably biased in their favor, but I still think you'd enjoy both of them based on how you mentioned the variation of spells being interesting and having fun as the tanky muscle.

Barbarians are great to play in combat because you're the big strong wall of defense. They also get advantage on Dex saves, so they're perfect for taking the front line against dragon breath attacks, big threatening melee attacks (which they resist while raging), and dishing out some pretty good damage of their own. The subclasses are pretty varied, so there's lots of room for customization. You can opt for more magical abilities or the simpler ones that just beef you up. Totem barbarians, in particular, get to choose from a wide variety of stuff as they get their different ranks of totems. As the barbarian, you'll probably lack some of the more social skills, but you can always make up for it any time the party has a door to kick down or boulder to move. You can also rage out of combat, in a pinch, and get advantage on these important role playing strength checks that you'll already have massive bonuses to pass.

Druids are very similar to clerics, but with a more nature-themed spell list. It's still incredibly varied, and chock full of spells that are excellent both in and out of combat. With their high wisdom, they make excellent scouts if they have proficiency in perception, and can always wildshape into something more suited to the task when they need to infiltrate. Need to sneak into a tall guarded tower? I bet no one will notice a tiny spider climbing up the outside. Druids also regain their wildshape uses on short rests, so it's very easy for them to recover that extremely useful utility compared to just using spells. They also still have the d8 hit die, so they're a little beefier than wizards and sorcerers, although they usually can't tank as well as a cleric so they're better suited to avoiding damage than rushing the front lines.

ImproperJustice
2019-10-28, 10:27 PM
Try giving Rogue a shot?

No resource management, great skills outside of combat and can contribute and do fun stuff during battles.

I am a fan of oddball multi-class combos such as:

Cleric / Monk
Wizard / Cleric
Ranger / Paladin (Van Helsing type)

Given your play style, you might have fun trying out an EK.
I’ve run one, had two buddies play one, and they are just plain fun.

Neoh
2019-10-28, 10:34 PM
You might be interested in trying a Control Caster this time around instead of always going for pure damage.

Druids (Land or Shepherd), Wizards (any and DM dependents, an Illusionist is cool until your DM ignores your illusions) or Sorcerer (Shadow if you want to play it safe, Wild Magic if you feel a little risky and funny).

Check out Treatmonk's guide on the control Wizard to have an idea of what it's all about.

You seemed to enjoy the melee characters more though, so maybe a big ol' Barbarian would be cool, Moon Druid with its Shapeshifting is quite nice too, especially at low levels.

Arcane Trickster Rogues are fun to play, disadvantage on spell save for your ennemy if you're hidden while casting, take a bow for some decent damage with Sneak Attack while still being able to disrupt your enemies with a spell here and there.
Not too long ago I made an AT Rogue build, Forest Gnome Magician, playing tricks with the invisible Mage Hand and Find Familiar spell making his bird appear and disappear from a hat, while sneakily grabbing a coin pouch. Funny little guy.

Zerubbabel
2019-10-29, 04:07 AM
Try Druid (circle of Sheppard) for something completely different

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 04:45 AM
Barbarian is fun, try to crit with an half orc for extra fun.

I think the most fun are zealot and bear.

Just run in with a net and a great axe/glaive and break stuff.

It is also nice for someone that play a buffer because buffing a barbarian feel really good.

HiveStriker
2019-10-29, 06:42 AM

Warlock, hex and eldritch blast is boring, I should have made the character more interesting mechanically

Ranger: the stealth and spells were fun (stuff like ensnaring strike is very flavorful) but I never used favored enemy or terrain. Sid not like being an archer

Paladin: favorite so far, highh charisma lent good out of combat powers, roleplaying an oath is a ton of fun, and the magical effects on melee attacks was cool.

Cleric: really liked being the big strong tank. The amount of healing I did felt kind of overkill as the fights weren't that tough, also felt like I lacked out of combat power. In combat spells like spiritual weapon and spirit guardians feel awesome!

Bard: still low level on this one. So far dissonant whispers and other spells like that are fun.

Artificer: I find this one really boring. Out of combat it's great but in combat I feel like I'm just spamming fire bolt and doing occasional low level spells

Fighter: ton of fun, I felt like a god of war with great weapon master and stuff.

Hi!

Well, since you've been disappointed by your current experiences with Warlock and Ranger, if you're ok with trying them from a different angle, I'd suggest...
- Hexblade Tome Warlock: pick Booming Blade, Shield and Shadow Blade later Counterspell and you're set for mundane/high threat turns. Outside that, pick Rituals Invocation obviously then spy-related invocations (Beast Speech, Eyes of Rune Keeper, Mask of Many Faces), as well as spells such as Comprehend Languages / Suggestion and Invisibility/Spider Climb/Fly. Stack Observant and Keen Mind. You'll be a heck of a scout and spy. If you'd like to get upon sheer awesomeness, grab three levels of Divine Soul Sorcerer with Subtle/Extend metamagics and Bless, Enhance Ability, Aid and Command. But even without that you'll have a blast. :)
-Archfey/Fiend Chain Warlock: pick only movement related Eldricht Blast Invocations + the "Distant" one, herd people into AOE debuffs like own Plant Growth or Stinking Cloud, or maybe pal's Spike Growth or the like (or get it yourself through mutliclass or ring of spell storing or whatever), or simply push enemies away/toward friendlies depending on what you want to achieve. Not only is this overall much more efficient than a plain Agonizing Blast at least until level 11, it's also much more engaging because you need to act smart about where you position yourself: on that note, spells such as Expeditious Retreat or Fly are a given. :)
You can also use your familiar to scout away, harass enemies from range, deliver touch spells. And otherwise be whatever you want.
- Gloomstalker STR melee ranger: grab Mobile, use Zephyr's Strike, then grab Sentinel or PAM. You can easily taunt enemies, shoving some as needed, while hurting others before they even get a chance at catching you.

Otherwise...

- Druid: great versatility of spells so can cover all roles.
If you'd like to play an orchestrator, Shepherd will be perfect for you, paired with Resilient: Constitution and Spell Sniper (so Thorns Whip gets decent range).
If you'd rather empower yourself in (and more impotantly out of combat), go Moon Druid, paired with Observant, Keen Mind, and Ritual Caster or a single level of Life Cleric to be an animal spy. Resilient: Constitution is not mandatory per se but becomes so if you want to get into melee as a beast.

- Monk: Shadow (from low level) and 4E (from level 11) make excellent spies paired with the same combo of Observant and Keen Mind.
4E makes for a very versatile character, although you have to know how to use your archetype abilities.
Open Hand is more subtle than you'd know but can be great if you want to tag-team.
In general, Monks start hard to play because imprudence can quickly lead to death, but progressively evolves as powerhouses that can be geared towards either spying, tanking, off-casting, depending on archetype and style.

Rfkannen
2019-10-30, 08:32 PM
Alright I think I'm going to play a druid or a barbarian depending in what the party needs! Thanks for the help! (I deffinitly want to try that fry warlock build another time)

Amy advise on subclass pick? I'm thinking for barb wolf totem or zealot? (Not sure on these) For druid it is harder.

Thanks for the advice!

Neoh
2019-10-30, 09:48 PM
Alright I think I'm going to play a druid or a barbarian depending in what the party needs! Thanks for the help! (I deffinitly want to try that fry warlock build another time)

Amy advise on subclass pick? I'm thinking for barb wolf totem or zealot? (Not sure on these) For druid it is harder.

Thanks for the advice!

Depends on your team really, Wolf Barbarian is cool if you have lots of melee friends with you on the frontline, Bear is better if you just want sheer tankyness. Keep in mind you're not obligated to chose only one Totem, you can choose Wolf for your lvl 3 feature, Bear for the lvl 6 one, etc.
Zealot is cool too, it's only sad you don't get anything really that interresting early on, the damage scales with your levels and the other features aren't giving you much, the lvl 14 one making you almost unkillable is fun but Barbarian don't die that often, still really cool to face that Dragon knowing he will fall before you will for sure.
The Berserker is the best damage dealer out of these if you're not afraid of the exhaustion after a Frenzy.

For Druids it's easier to decide, Moon Druid if you want to Shapeshift a lot into animals/elementals while still having really good spell casting.
Land Druid if you want to have even better spell casting but meh Shapeshifting.
Shepherd Druid if you want more of a support role.
So it depends if your team need more frontline or backline.

Rfkannen
2019-10-30, 11:08 PM
Depends on your team really, Wolf Barbarian is cool if you have lots of melee friends with you on the frontline, Bear is better if you just want sheer tankyness. Keep in mind you're not obligated to chose only one Totem, you can choose Wolf for your lvl 3 feature, Bear for the lvl 6 one, etc.
Zealot is cool too, it's only sad you don't get anything really that interresting early on, the damage scales with your levels and the other features aren't giving you much, the lvl 14 one making you almost unkillable is fun but Barbarian don't die that often, still really cool to face that Dragon knowing he will fall before you will for sure.
The Berserker is the best damage dealer out of these if you're not afraid of the exhaustion after a Frenzy.

For Druids it's easier to decide, Moon Druid if you want to Shapeshift a lot into animals/elementals while still having really good spell casting.
Land Druid if you want to have even better spell casting but meh Shapeshifting.
Shepherd Druid if you want more of a support role.
So it depends if your team need more frontline or backline.

Is berzeker allright? I had heard it was very bad and discounted it. The game is in a low magic campaign (magic exists but isn't common place, a wizard probbably found there begginer spellbook in a long forgotten tomb and the cleric might be the gods only champion) I was thinking of doing something like a skinchanger wolf skin to justify it, but if berzeker is viable It might be good to have a non magic member of the party to add some flavor. (Though I do think part of the fun of playing in a low magic setting is playing a mage lol).

If I do play a barbarian I will probbably need to decide what path I'm taking before level 1 to justify any magic in my backstory.

The druid ones are interesting! Had to pick there, I've never played a character that turned into animals, that could be fun, but I do also like casting buffing and controlling spells... all could be fun!

Neoh
2019-10-31, 12:14 AM
Is berzeker allright? I had heard it was very bad and discounted it. The game is in a low magic campaign (magic exists but isn't common place, a wizard probbably found there begginer spellbook in a long forgotten tomb and the cleric might be the gods only champion) I was thinking of doing something like a skinchanger wolf skin to justify it, but if berzeker is viable It might be good to have a non magic member of the party to add some flavor. (Though I do think part of the fun of playing in a low magic setting is playing a mage lol).

If I do play a barbarian I will probbably need to decide what path I'm taking before level 1 to justify any magic in my backstory.

The druid ones are interesting! Had to pick there, I've never played a character that turned into animals, that could be fun, but I do also like casting buffing and controlling spells... all could be fun!

Berserker Barbarian is dependent on how often you can long rest to get rid of the exhaustion, but honestly, you can live with 1 level of exhaustion, especially as a melee character that doesn't have many useful ability checks. Plus you don't have to Frenzy each fight, you get to choose when you want to. Getting one more attack with that big weapon of yours as a bonus action feels really nice.
Lvl 6 you get immunity to charms and fears, which are Wisdom checks, your weakest point as a Barbarian.
Lvl 10 feature feels a bit weak, it's an action to use but it has a 30 ft range, so it still could be useful if you can't reach the bad guy.
Lvl 14 is one of the best features a melee could get, especially a Barbarian that has resistance to melee damage. You hit me I hit you, and I probably hit harder. Get 3 levels of Battlemaster Fighter and get Riposte Maneuveur, you attack me and miss and I hit you. Get Sentinel Feat, attack my friend and I hit you. You don't even need high AC since you WANT to get hit at level 14.

Barbarians don't have many uses for their Bonus Action and Reaction, so the Berserker fills those empty action slots. It's the riskiest one, people usually prefer the safer route of the tanky Bearbarian, it's up to you if you prefer more damage but a bit risky or more tankyness and way less damage.

Druids of the Moon Circle are probably the best characters at low-level gameplay and although they aren't the best at high-level, they still can hold their own pretty well. You could even try a grappler build, some animals you can shapeshift in can grapple 2 enemies at once.
Honestly the Land Druid doesn't have many good features, it's mainly to get more spells you couldn't get from the Druid's spell list and being able to regain some spell slots during short rests.
So if you want a full caster, Land is the best but not THAT much compared to the Moon Druid that still gives you more Shapeshifting options.

micahaphone
2019-10-31, 12:23 AM
Have you played with this DM before? Are they the type to only have one big fight a day? Or do you frequently have multiple days of downtime in game? Frenzy is pretty much a vanilla barb (which is very good) who can dish out the pain once a day. Having 2+ levels of exhaustion can get real frustrating in a game without downtime, unless your dm is open to homebrews suggested by the community (effects of exhaustion suspended while raging, or lose multiple levels of exhaustion per long rest).

Also note that unarmored defense can be a touch of a trap choice. I don't know how you're generating stats, but many new barbs focus too much on getting dex high. Feel free to leave it at 14, wear medium armor, and invest in str/con. You're inviting hits through reckless attack, and hits don't matter as much anyway, thanks to d12 hit dice and rage resistances

NNescio
2019-10-31, 01:07 AM
Berserker Barbarian is dependent on how often you can long rest to get rid of the exhaustion, but honestly, you can live with 1 level of exhaustion, especially as a melee character that doesn't have many useful ability checks.

Initiative is an ability check.

Also Athletics, in case you want to grapple or do 'manly' parkour stuff.

And it gets really, really crappy if the DM decides to hand an additional level of Exhaustion around (some really like doing so, especially in hostile environment settings), like if you failed a Survival check or something.

Neoh
2019-10-31, 01:13 AM
Initiative is an ability check.

Also Athletics, in case you want to grapple or do 'manly' parkour stuff.

And it gets really, really crappy if the DM decides to hand an additional level of Exhaustion around (some really like doing so, especially in hostile environment settings), like if you failed a Survival check or something.

Which are not really big turn-offs to be honest for a feature used once or twice a day, maybe more depending on your party's spells.

NNescio
2019-10-31, 01:20 AM
Which are not really big turn-offs to be honest for a feature used once or twice a day, maybe more depending on your party's spells.

Other barbs get to freely use their L3 class feature. You don't.

Meanwhile you will be sitting on your class feature not daring to use it until you suspect a cinch fight, which you will misjudge sometimes and end up blowing your 'singular' use of Frenzy for the day and render yourself less effective for the other encounters of that day.

Most people won't use it twice. And most casters will be very, very leery of blowing a L5 spell slot (and 100 GP!) just so you can Frenzy one more time. They usually have... much better things to do with that slot.

Plus your class feature can be mostly replicated by taking a feat (that doesn't force you to eat exhaustion!), if that option is on the table (it's almost always is, at least for the purposes of people who frequent Internet forums. And AL).

(And if multiclassing is available too, you might have other things vying for your bonus action.)

Neoh
2019-10-31, 01:48 AM
Other barbs get to freely use their L3 class feature. You don't.

Meanwhile you will be sitting on your class feature not daring to use it until you suspect a cinch fight, which you will misjudge sometimes and end up blowing your 'singular' use of Frenzy for the day and render yourself less effective for the other encounters of that day.

Most people won't use it twice. And most casters will be very, very leery of blowing a L5 spell slot (and 100 GP!) just so you can Frenzy one more time. They usually have... much better things to do with that slot.

Plus your class feature can be mostly replicated by taking a feat, if that option is on the table (it's almost always is, at least for the purposes of people who frequent Internet forums. And AL).

(And if multiclassing is available too, you might have other things vying for your bonus action.)

Bearbarian (taking the most common one as en example) have resistance to everything but psychic, elemental damage are unfortunately not as common coming from enemies as they are from players. In a day of adventuring, your resistance might not be relevant at all, it's always there, but there isn't always a Fireball heading your way.

I mean, some spell casters also waste precious spell slots all the time, but you usually don't just go in a Frenzy at the very start of a fight, that's just dumb.

In my experience, people usually use it twice a day, it all depends on how your DM paces the game honestly.

For the Greater Restoration one, it's true, but that's why I said it was depending on your party and I was talking about more than once or twice a day, which is very rare.

Feats costs you a precious ASI and Barbs don't get as many as a Fighter, your AC is dependent on both your Dex and Con if you go armorless.
The only Feat I can think of that lets you make a Bonus Action attack is the Polearm Mastery one, you're stuck with one type of weapon and forced to take 2 Feats instead of 1 to do damage. The Frenzy allows you to make a bonus action attack without needing to take the attack action on this turn, leaving your action open for anything else you want other than attacking.
You can take the Resilient Wis Feat, which doesn't make you immune and will leave you with a low saving throw anyway, having something like 12 at max in Wisdom.
You can't replicate the lvl 14 feature that lets you counterattack after being hit, it's the easiest way to trigger a reaction attack from you.

Even with multiclassing, there aren't many things that occupy your bonus action for more than 1 round.

Also, the other Barbarians don't have many things that really shine.

ccjmk
2019-10-31, 06:11 AM

May I suggest a different Artificer?? Battle Smith sounds like tons of fun, if you are a small race (Gnome Artificer seems to be a thematic win all around) you can mount your Defender, you have both Medium Armor and Shield proficiency, and with Returning Weapon infusion you can use a spear for meele and closed-ranged combat with INT, while mounted. Of course you can also unmount and fight from afar with your cantrip while your defender holds the line, or you can Firebolt people while mounted, dashing at 120ft/turn on your defender.

And alongside all the combat chances and shenanigans, you are still an INT character who can deal with the skills your party is not covering probably, as there's lots of INT skills and so many wizards per party!

Justin Sane
2019-10-31, 06:35 AM
For what it's worth - the Eagle Totem Barbarian usually goes unmentioned, but it makes a hell of a good skirmisher. If the rest of the party doesn't depend on you to create a front rank, dash as bonus action and disadvantage on oportunity attacks against you means you can usually ignore the enemy's front rank yourself, and dive right into that squishy mage that's causing trouble.

And unlike other skirmishers, who usually are in a bit of trouble if they're pinned down, well... You're still a Barbarian.

Edit: Totem Barbarians also gain some utility compared to other archetypes, thanks to Spirit Seeker. Beast Sense and Speak with Animals are great information-gathering tools.

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-31, 04:12 PM

Radiant Soul or Shadow Monk.

Wuzza
2019-11-02, 01:39 AM

…...

Personally, I'd come up with a character first, then work it into a class.

My next one will basically be Brian Blessed. Halfling Bard.

Short in stature, large in voice. :)

(would also suit a Barbarian, overly confident Wizard.. Maybe even Rogue, jumping out of the shadows with a roar.)

nickl_2000
2019-11-02, 05:46 AM
Here is what I’m looking at for my possible next character.

Changeling Hexblade Tomelock 3/Arcane Trickster Rogue X

Don’t take EB invocations at all. Take mask of many faces and the silent illusion invocation. At level 3 with mask for the ritual tome invocation.

You are crazy versatile, with a massive amount of cantrips available. Level 1 and 2 rituals, can change your appearance at will, infinite silent images, have booming blade, and then all the rogue goodies.

Zuras
2019-11-03, 11:13 AM
If you didn’t like being an archer but did like being stealthy, you could try a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass.

Going mostly Barbarian with a level or two of Rogue gives you two areas of expertise, which you can use on Athletics and Stealth to start grappling and throwing around people in combat while also backing up the full class Rogue when they go scouting.

I have a Barb 6/Rogue 4 who works pretty well. The +12 to athletics plus advantage while raging is pretty gross. In any combats we had on ships all the enemies ended up going over the side.

I don’t know if a 6/x Barbarian/Rogue split is ideal, but a one or two level Rogue dip can be quite impressive, especially if you want to invest in Shield Master.