PDA

View Full Version : Strange Playstyles?

Nagog
2019-10-28, 10:16 PM
Hey ya'll! I'm looking for a few builds to try that are outside the normal, mostly in playstyle. I've seen odd backstories, I've seen absurd race/class combinations, and while entertaining, they never really held my attention quite like an off the wall build. Things like a technical Barbarian, a Front Line Sorcerer, a Grappling Str Rogue, and the like. Are there any such builds ya'll have seen that lend to unique or otherwise unrepresented playstyles, while still remaining Viable?

ImproperJustice
2019-10-28, 10:31 PM
The man from tomorrow!!!

A variant Rogue Human from the 1920s pulp era who is a professor of ACTION SCIENCE!!!

Take something unusual like Ritual Caster or Keen Mind.
Grab a Whip
Play as a two fisted visitor from a future world trapped in this fantasy realm by the evil Dr. X (or some other campy villain of choice), and dedicate your life to justice in your search to find a way back home.

micahaphone
2019-10-28, 10:31 PM
Is barbarian w/ bard dip for athletics expertise, becoming the ultimate grappler, strange enough for you? It fits well into a Lucha or WWE concept.

Same thing can be done with a dip into rogue instead if you want to really stab the **** outta people. Grappling and knife work, a terrifying match made in heaven. Ever seen "The Raid"?

CheddarChampion
2019-10-28, 11:32 PM
Mountain dwarf war wizard
14/14/15/14/10/10
Pick up Tenser's Transformation, resilient (constitution).

Anyone actually using the 'Grappler' feat.

A frontline caster with dissonant whispers, booming blade, and warcaster. Bard with one level in Hexblade does it well.

A barbarian with Shield Master.

Eldritch Knight 7, Hexblade 2, Arcane Trickster 11. Cast Eldritch Blast, War Magic activates: get one attack with a hand crossbow that ideally adds sneak attack. Weird because it combines a bow/crossbow with Eldritch Blast.

Storm Sorcerer with Booming Blade, Shocking Grasp, Spell Sniper. You can twin one of those spells at two different foes 10' away (get a reach weapon with a class dip) and quicken a normal spell in the same round.

Nagog
2019-10-29, 12:21 AM
Is barbarian w/ bard dip for athletics expertise, becoming the ultimate grappler, strange enough for you? It fits well into a Lucha or WWE concept.

Same thing can be done with a dip into rogue instead if you want to really stab the **** outta people. Grappling and knife work, a terrifying match made in heaven. Ever seen "The Raid"?

This is what I had in mind for the Str Grapple Rogue. With the Grappler feat, you get sneak attack every round. On the flipside, you're a bit squishy for the front lines. Add in Tavern Brawler and Tough and you can hold your own quite well. After all that, you may be able to out-damage the Fighter/Barbarian for single target damage. Then again, if you're BBEG is Large or otherwise difficult to grapple, you're kinda just out of luck.

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-10-29, 09:35 AM
The humble idiot wizard. Go Orc Wizard, use Bladesinger if your DM allows it in your setting (Abjuration if not) and start with a nice 6-8 Intelligence score. Only take support spells that don't need a roll, hit things with your 16 Wizard Strength, use crayons to make pictograms for your spell book rather than using language. Flavor spells as coming from martial prowess to taste. (Javelins are technically a missile, and you ARE magic...)

Warlush
2019-10-29, 10:58 PM
My favorite new character is Grout, the Mountain Dwarf Pact of the Chain Warlock. You can use whatever patron you like but my favorite is always gonna be The Great Old One, just a personal lore/flavor thing.

Point buy
STR 14 +2 (16)
DEX 12
CON 15 +2 (17)
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 14

So utilizing medium armor, a Battle Axe, Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade, Armour Of Agathy's, The Dwarven Fortitude Feat from XGtE, the Gift Of the Ever Living Ones Invocation from XGtE, Voice Of the Chain Master, and spell support you can have a totally viable front line NON HEXBLADE, NON BLADE PACT Warlock.

Using Damage reflection spells, SCAG cantrips, and the self healing bonuses you can be a very good tank.

Using your familiar you can scout better than any rogue's wildest dream.

By boosting CHA, taking the associated skills, and with invocation/spell support (not to mention telepathy and an invisible familiar to broadcast from) you can be the face and drive your DM nuts with out of combat shenanigans.

Aaaaand, you're not a Hexblade. So cool points.

If you don't dig the chain pact, you could go Pact Of The Tome and play a more "Mad" Cleric type character. Like a "Priest Of Cthulu" or something. Bishop of Dendar.

I love playing a Dwarf who gives no f@#ks about the Dwarven pantheon.

Laserlight
2019-10-29, 11:18 PM
My son had a luchador who was, I believe, built at least partially as a paladin. "His elbow drops for Truth! His double foot stomps for Justice!" Folk Hero background.

douglasbushong
2019-10-29, 11:31 PM
The Manipulator. Your sole job is to support the other players by manipulating dice roles and make the other players better at what they do.

2 levels of Wizard - Divination School.
1 Level of Cleric - Order Domain
All the rest in Bard for the Inspiration.

Cast sanctuary on your owl familiar, and have it just fly around and take help actions. Use your portent at critical times to make awesome things happen.
When you cast Bless or heal your teammates, Order domain lets you drive them to attack with their reaction on your turn. Every fighter in your group is your minion, and Healing Word becomes one of the best 1st-level damage dealing spells in the game.
You can sling inspiration to your allies, and generally do what you can to make them feel amazing.
Take the Lucky Feat when you can; if you go Halfling, so much the better.

The best part about it is that you make everyone at the table feel strong, so they love how the game is going. Let them take the credit. Cheer them on, and sit back knowing that you are the one that greased the gears of fate to make it work. You're manipulating the game, though, so don't talk trash.

I've taken a similar build and made it to level 7 before directly dealing any kind of damage. I'm at Level 9 right now, and pressing on. Yes, I don't have the higher level spells, but I can up-cast all day long. I can behave as though I am not there and actively avoid the fighting, and yet nobody complains.

Works best in large groups.

Kane0
2019-10-29, 11:32 PM
I've had a lot of fun playing a sorcerer who's shtick was being an assassin (via use of Subtle metamagic), using either poison (Ray of Sickness doesn't leave any traces) or psychic spells.

I've also enjoyed playing a warlock 'cursed' with being unable to sleep (reincarnated as an elf or more recently just taking the invocation) and taunted with access to the Sleep spell via their Fey patron.

I've 'brewed up a spellcasting barbarian and jedi monk as well, both of which I think are great.

Quoz
2019-10-30, 03:07 AM
I recently played a wizard's apprentice.

Simic hybrid EK 8 / Barbarian 1 / rogue 1

Played primarily as a grappler, with expertise from rogue and advantage from either Enlarge or rage. Equipped with staff and shield, wore highly elaborate robes and an obviously fake beard. Relied heavily on barbarian unarmed defense for AC. While I could cast a few spells like Enlarge, shield, and absorb elements, most of my "magic" was from other features. Racial ability to glide was feather fall. My grappling appendages were hold monster. Action surge is Haste. Rage is enhance strength. (Make sure to call these out when 'casting' them)

I was a sycophantic follower of our gnome wizard, who had by that point earned a reputation for 'blow em up now, sort em out later' evocation and demonic summoning.