PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The robust kobold a str 1 build

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 02:54 AM
Hello guys :)

I was toying with the idea of a str 1 build when I talked with friends about rolling stats VS point buy.

So I rolled in the talk 3, 10, 12, 13, 18, 16

For maximum memes the 18 have to go to con.

Now, I have two ideas, A dex paladin(heroism or ancient) and a moon druid.

I think that a heroism paladin will be fun as he try and tech the world that strength is not the peak. Probably using a dual scimitar and crit fish.
I think that being a moon druid is kind of missing all the str 1 stuff.

How will you build a character like this?

Edit: I was also thinking abut int 1 orc but it will not be fun for the tables I play in unfortunately.
("Food or Friend?" Is the only thing he will know to say and the only thing he will understand).

Dork_Forge
2019-10-29, 03:14 AM
I'd probably go for Dex based Paladin, Vengeance or Ancients and get up in the enemies face with a shield and maybe even the Tough feat to boot.

I'd be worried about a 1 Str though, RAW you could only carry 15lbs and if you ever came across a Shadow you're facing certain death and unlife.

Contrast
2019-10-29, 03:19 AM
You can't really do anything except a limited selection of casters or monk because light armour isn't really light enough. Just wearing studded leather and carrying a rapier puts you at the limit of your carrying capacity (please note this does not include clothes...).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 03:34 AM
I'd probably go for Dex based Paladin, Vengeance or Ancients and get up in the enemies face with a shield and maybe even the Tough feat to boot.

I'd be worried about a 1 Str though, RAW you could only carry 15lbs and if you ever came across a Shadow you're facing certain death and unlife.

My biggest problem with paladin is that he may not be able to carry his armour and weapon and a shield is heavy for this one.
Studded leather is 13, rapier is 2.
His carry capacity is only 7.5 as he is small.

And everything have an end, this one probably will fade into the Shadow(I like puns).

You can't really do anything except a limited selection of casters or monk because light armour isn't really light enough. Just wearing studded leather and carrying a rapier puts you at the limit of your carrying capacity (please note this does not include clothes...).

That is why I added the mood druid option.

And who need clothes?
But yes, an access to mage armour or similar effect is needed.
Which means multiclassing(so he cant be a paladin as he will not have str to multiclass) or take magic initiate.

He can carry a shield and rapier or a single dual scimitar (kobold version) if we remove the elf requirements for the feat.

The lightest armour is 8 and he can only carry 7.5 so any armour is unavailable.

Sorinth
2019-10-29, 04:53 AM
Have you considered a character who is massively obesse and basically can't move on his own or can only barely move. Instead he has servants that carry him around on a chair/litter. His high constitution is because the layers of fat make it hard for weapons to find/pierce vital organs.

On the plus side you can wear armor since you don't care that your speed is reduced as you are carried. But I would avoid melee anyways, since your servants will probably drop you if they are in serious danger. If you are the fat rich merchant, then wearing heavy armor whether you are proficient or not, and wielding a crossbow would be thematic, but a spellcaster would be better, maybe a cleric and your servants are your acolytes.

Anyways in a non-serious campaign absolutetly do this, in a more serious campaign then no.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 05:08 AM
Have you considered a character who is massively obesse and basically can't move on his own or can only barely move. Instead he has servants that carry him around on a chair/litter. His high constitution is because the layers of fat make it hard for weapons to find/pierce vital organs.

On the plus side you can wear armor since you don't care that your speed is reduced as you are carried. But I would avoid melee anyways, since your servants will probably drop you if they are in serious danger. If you are the fat rich merchant, then wearing heavy armor whether you are proficient or not, and wielding a crossbow would be thematic, but a spellcaster would be better, maybe a cleric and your servants are your acolytes.

Anyways in a non-serious campaign absolutetly do this, in a more serious campaign then no.

Now this will be an NPC in the game I am running.
Thank you for the idea.

Protolisk
2019-10-29, 07:05 AM
His carry capacity is only 7.5 as he is small.

Not quite right. The rules are 15 pounds per strength score. Above medium, its doubled, and for Tiny only, it is halved. Small still gets 15 per strength score.

Still, 15 pounds with the armor, a rapier, and clothes, will put the weight over the limit.

nickl_2000
2019-10-29, 07:20 AM
Draconic Sorcerer is both thematic and effective for a kobold. It gives you the 13+dex armor without having to worry about weight and you can even get shadow blade in further levels.

If UA is allowed, rock the Stone Sorcerer. 13+con AC, 2 more with a shield. Eventually get yourself a whip and spell sniper to twin booming blade people from 10 feet away laughing at them as you do.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 07:29 AM
Not quite right. The rules are 15 pounds per strength score. Above medium, its doubled, and for Tiny only, it is halved. Small still gets 15 per strength score.

Still, 15 pounds with the armor, a rapier, and clothes, will put the weight over the limit.
Yea, missed that.
And you don't really need clothes, it have no mechanical benefit and this is a kobold, they are shown naked most of the time.

Draconic Sorcerer is both thematic and effective for a kobold. It gives you the 13+dex armor without having to worry about weight and you can even get shadow blade in further levels.

If UA is allowed, rock the Stone Sorcerer. 13+con AC, 2 more with a shield. Eventually get yourself a whip and spell sniper to twin booming blade people from 10 feet away laughing at them as you do.

That is a nice option, thank you :)

SirGraystone
2019-10-29, 07:41 AM
For some reason to make me think of Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance, a powerful wizard but with a body weak and sickly.

opaopajr
2019-10-29, 08:32 AM
:smalleek: I mustn't ! No, I must! Icouldn't! No, I could! :smallbiggrin:

Are you using the Variant Encumbrance rules? :smalltongue: Then you can carry up to 10 times your STR before you are heavily encumbered.

So you can be a Protection style Fighter who wears Ring Mail (40 lbs.) and Shield (6 lbs.) and have 4 pounds left for... Darts! :smallbiggrin: Or the dungeon crawl torch!

Ooh! Give it a CHA 16 and take Inspiring Leader at ASI! He'll be the mascot kobold! :smallcool: Ooh, maybe Healer feat (lay on bandage" for 1 HP!). Take Toughness only at higher ASIs! :smallbiggrin:

Just walk around with your heavy armor & shield AC 16, Helping/Dodging, Protecting, and carrying light stuff! And hire an unskilled servant to carry your Backpack! :smallbiggrin: OMG, it'd be a scream to hear how the GM wastes attacks on this HP bloat ball of a kobold!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-29, 08:51 AM
:smalleek: I mustn't ! No, I must! Icouldn't! No, I could! :smallbiggrin:

Are you using the Variant Encumbrance rules? :smalltongue: Then you can carry up to 10 times your STR before you are heavily encumbered.

So you can be a Protection style Fighter who wears Ring Mail (40 lbs.) and Shield (6 lbs.) and have 4 pounds left for... Darts! :smallbiggrin: Or the dungeon crawl torch!

Ooh! Give it a CHA 16 and take Inspiring Leader at ASI! He'll be the mascot kobold! :smallcool: Ooh, maybe Healer feat (lay on bandage" for 1 HP!). Take Toughness only at higher ASIs! :smallbiggrin:

Just walk around with your heavy armor & shield AC 16, Helping/Dodging, Protecting, and carrying light stuff! And hire an unskilled servant to carry your Backpack! :smallbiggrin: OMG, it'd be a scream to hear how the GM wastes attacks on this HP bloat ball of a kobold!
It looks like a great idea, but my inner voice tells me to make it a paladin and use the steed to carry stuff and lay of hands("molast party members" if you are looking for a more accurate name) to heal.

The aura will make him a better target.
Being the paladin that have the "no, you hit me, not him" aura(I think redemption, not sure) will work for this idea but why not make him a crit looker with heroism if he have fact tactics?

It remains me of the paladin charm of battle(a small box with every different paladin that have a unique aura that you take with your unit to battle in order to make you man stronger).

GreyBlack
2019-10-29, 04:18 PM
Your character, for reference, will only be able to carry 15 pounds.

Total.

A set of common clothes is 3 pounds, so unless you're planning for your character to be a nudist, you're only going to be carrying 12 pounds of gear. No judgements but... pants are a necessary evil.

I'd recommend going with a Sorcerer character. You're a charismatic kobold who has gotten as far as he can because he can persuade people to not beat him up. However, because you've been beaten up so much, you can take a punch.

Paladin and druid probably aren't great for this character concept. Druids are very "survival of the fittest" and I wouldn't see nature looking too fondly on a character who can't stand while eating, while paladins are very gear dependent (at minimum, you're lugging around a rapier and wearing padded armor for 10 pounds of gear, only giving you 2 pounds to play with).

MaxWilson
2019-10-29, 07:16 PM
Hello guys :)

I was toying with the idea of a str 1 build when I talked with friends about rolling stats VS point buy.

So I rolled in the talk 3, 10, 12, 13, 18, 16

For maximum memes the 18 have to go to con.

Now, I have two ideas, A dex paladin(heroism or ancient) and a moon druid.

I think that a heroism paladin will be fun as he try and tech the world that strength is not the peak. Probably using a dual scimitar and crit fish.
I think that being a moon druid is kind of missing all the str 1 stuff.

How will you build a character like this?

Edit: I was also thinking abut int 1 orc but it will not be fun for the tables I play in unfortunately.
("Food or Friend?" Is the only thing he will know to say and the only thing he will understand).

Long Death monk all the way. Call him The Roach! He's nigh-invulnerable and his battlecry is "Spork!"

Con 18, Dex 18, Wis 13, Str 1.

opaopajr
2019-10-30, 04:30 AM
It looks like a great idea, but my inner voice tells me to make it a paladin and use the steed to carry stuff and lay of hands("molast party members" if you are looking for a more accurate name) to heal.

The aura will make him a better target.
Being the paladin that have the "no, you hit me, not him" aura(I think redemption, not sure) will work for this idea but why not make him a crit looker with heroism if he have fact tactics?

It remains me of the paladin charm of battle(a small box with every different paladin that have a unique aura that you take with your unit to battle in order to make you man stronger).

Aww... that's so practical. :smallfrown:

Are you sure I can't tempt you to something more ridiculous? :smallamused:

How about a Berserker Barbarian that uses a whip! :smalltongue: Put that -5 to STR to good use, use it on a 1d4 finesse reach melee weapon!

When you are raging you don't have to always use your rage on a melee weapon attack using STR. With finesse get to choose whether to flail impotently or not! :smallsmile: Use finesse melee weapon with STR: 1d4 -5 with Rage dmg; use finesse melee weapon with DEX: 1d4 +/- DEX without Rage dmg! Same with Reckless Attack, you can get Adv and whip people nigh harmlessly! :smallbiggrin:

You can even start singing the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings song, "Where There's a Whip, *whi-psh!*, There's a Way." :smallcool: C'mon, you'll be the coolest kid at the table! You can be the most adorable raging barbarian!

Chugger
2019-10-30, 06:32 AM
If your dm looks at the Feeblemind spell and takes notes off it, you're in trouble w/ a 1 anything, for stats. Why? Feeblemind = int reduced to 1, and you can't function. Well, you can stand - you can barely recognize your friends and maybe not attack them, if you can attack at all. You can't cast spells and you can't really function. So str 1 is probably unable to stand up even.

Moon druid fixes low stat problems.