PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Metamagic for Pyromancy sorcerer

SanFlash
2019-10-29, 08:24 AM
Hi all. I'm currently building a pyromancer (kaladesh planeshift) sorcerer. I had go through a lot of guides for the sorcerers, but i found the subclass is somewhat (understandably being a planeshift) not-so-well covered. Regardless, I managed to wrap it up the build, almost. The major doubt being about metamagic options.

The pg would start at level 7. I found out that, for a blaster, the two main metamagic options are empowered and twinned. I completely agree about empowered, but not so much with twin, in my case.
Since I'm going ful blaster and of cours I will go for almost fire-only offensive options, at this point the only twinnable spells would be chromatic orb and haste. Pretty good, yes, but somewhat lackluster about versatility. I'm considering another option: Subtle spells. This would be underpowered for a blaster, but still is an S rated metamagic that makes the caster much harder to shut down.

Quicken is a must go, I think, but I would prefer taking it at 10. Maybe should I swap an early quicken for a later twinned? Could this be an option? I'm still really unsure about twinned overall.

What do you guys say about this?

CheddarChampion
2019-10-29, 08:32 AM
Careful Spell is a good option if you find friendly people get right in the middle of your fireballs too often.

Twin Spell can be used with select cantrips. It'll cost 1 sorcery point.

Heighten Spell can be used against an enemy that you really don't want to pass a saving throw.

SanFlash
2019-10-29, 08:39 AM
Careful Spell is a good option if you find friendly people get right in the middle of your fireballs too often.

Twin Spell can be used with select cantrips. It'll cost 1 sorcery point.

Heighten Spell can be used against an enemy that you really don't want to pass a saving throw.

I found careful too situational. I know Twin can be used with cantrips, but I think this is only worth after 11, when they get upgraded. This would mean that I should take it at 10.
Heighten is really too costly I think, not worth for damage spells really. Am I wrong?

Wildarm
2019-10-29, 09:12 AM
Personally I'd take Quicken. Many people overlook the fact that it effectively gives you a bonus action dodge, use item or disengage for 2 sorcery points assuming you'd normally be using your action to cast a spell. Very useful for a blaster to get of melee before firing off something with a ranged attack roll. Combos well with your 10' pyromancer aura. Disengage, move 5' away, cast quickened scorching ray, move another 25' away.

Bobthewizard
2019-10-29, 09:19 AM
Subtle is great. Use it to auto win counterspell battles and to cast spells in situations where you don't want to be identified. I love suggestion with this. This is the second one I would take with a blaster unless I took careful in the character described below.

Careful is amazing. It only works well on 4 spells - hypnotic pattern, fear, confusion, and reverse gravity. But it makes those spells incredible. Not sure it fits with a blaster well though since it's only an automatic save and not save for none like the evoker's sculpt spells. So I like careful on a fire dragon sorcerer if you take it at level 3, then multi class into evoker wizard for 2 levels after you get your level 6 subclass ability. Use sculpt spells on evocation spells and careful on your control spells. You can cast anything you want even in a crowded and chaotic melee. This would probably work for a pyromancer too.

I agree with waiting until 10 for twin but it's good enough that it could be a good option at 3. Quicken is another good option.

ImproperJustice
2019-10-30, 05:38 AM
I agree that Twin is often too cost intensive to be worth it.

I run an elemental blaster myself at about level 15.

Empower is great and worth it almost every time.
Quicken is solid, and action cost savings ia very handy especially for spells you cast and then need an action for (I use it for watery sphere, sunbeam and whirlwind), but I could see it handy for Flaming Sphere.

Next choice?

I would lean towards Subtle. Sometimes you end up grappled, silenced, underwater, or against someone who spams counterspell.

Subtle is an answer to all of that.

Failing that, just a reminder that while people hate Immolation it is verbal and single target only which means you can ignite someone grappling or swallowing you.