PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate London!

†Seer†
2007-10-17, 08:05 PM
Just pre-ordered, downloading right now. Any of you getting it/have it already?

Kaelaroth
2007-10-18, 02:39 PM
When I pluck up the funds, that game is mine! :smallbiggrin:

13_CBS
2007-10-18, 03:36 PM
Wroooooong forum, I think.

Dispozition
2007-10-19, 06:38 AM
Hehe...I haven't preordered yet, but I am on the beta test list...I just need a computer that can play the game...Which I should have by wednesday...Sunday week latest...But yeah...The game looks awesome.

Also, wrong forum :P

Dur
2007-10-19, 08:53 AM
Did this thread get moved?

Crispy Dave
2007-10-19, 10:14 AM
i think it did

StickMan
2007-10-19, 08:53 PM
I'm still deciding if Hellgate London is worth the buy it seems like it might be good. It does look awesome but I'm not sure if I'm digging the melee class do they all use twin blades cause that is what it looks like?

Prustan
2007-10-20, 02:25 AM
I want it! Don't know when it comes out in New Zealand, and not sure if my new computer will be ready (or if I'll have the money), but I really want it.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-20, 12:03 PM
Oh good point... Good computer needed.... :smallfrown:

I may have to wait. :smallfrown:

Archonic Energy
2007-10-24, 06:35 AM
so, is this a single player RPG or a MMORPG?

Dispozition
2007-10-24, 06:49 AM
so, is this a single player RPG or a MMORPG?

I do believe it's both. You can either play it as a single player RPG or go online and MMORPG it up...I'm not 100% on that though...

Arang
2007-10-24, 12:04 PM
You can play it by yourself or by accessing servers. It's not a MMORPG in the traditional sense, though. More like Guild Wars, in that you get a group and then go out and kill lots of things with them.

J_Muller
2007-10-28, 01:07 AM
I've played the single player demo as the ranged class. I thought it was very impressive--good character models, a nice variety of weapons, and well-designed enemies to ventilate/blow up.

Elidyr
2007-10-28, 06:57 AM
You can play it by yourself or by accessing servers. It's not a MMORPG in the traditional sense, though. More like Guild Wars, in that you get a group and then go out and kill lots of things with them.

Except you have to pay a monthly subscription for it.

Dispozition
2007-10-28, 06:59 AM
Except you have to pay a monthly subscription for it.

Noooo, you don't. You can be a free member and not get all the features.

Dragor
2007-10-28, 07:24 AM
Noooo, you don't. You can be a free member and not get all the features.

True. If you subscribe, you get extra inventory room, exclusive items, new areas, blah blah blah. Basically, if you subscribe you get an expansion pack.

I played the demo, had a bit of fun. Like others, I'll get in when I have the cash.

I'm still deciding if Hellgate London is worth the buy it seems like it might be good. It does look awesome but I'm not sure if I'm digging the melee class do they all use twin blades cause that is what it looks like?

Nope, you can use two-handed weapons, sword and board, or twin blades. Also other weapons too (I wielded a Cursed Blade and a runed cricket bat for a while in the demo).

J_Muller
2007-10-28, 02:46 PM
The melee class also gets to wield certain ranged weapons, so you can have a sword and a pistol.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-10-28, 07:55 PM
I was somewhat disappointed by the game.

The Ranged class had an obvious advantage over the blade class (although I had fun as the blade class since it involves move skill to use in my opinion).

13_CBS
2007-10-29, 12:32 PM
I've heard that this wasn't very good and has problems such as an annoying control scheme :smallconfused:

Actana
2007-11-03, 10:58 AM
I just bought it the other day. It's a fun game. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, and it's presumably funner than singleplayer.

I also came across this one very amusing thing: Flagship studios has listened to way too much Battlelore while they made it. The shock blade's flavor text goes the following:

Faithful mate of the whitest knight
Path of justice, hope for the weak
Path of blood for your enemy
- Templar Battlesong

In one of Battlelore's songs, Sword's Song to be precise, part of the lyrics goes:

Faithful mate of the whitest knight
The loot of the lowest thief
Path of justice, hope for the weak
Path of blood for your enemy

See the resemblance? :smallwink:

Dispozition
2007-11-03, 04:41 PM
Ok...So, I've been anticipating this game all year, and I'm sooooo glad I bought it on friday. Although I'm still only low levels (single player lvl6 blademaster and online lvl5 ranger) it's an excellent game. I can't wait until I hit higher levels.

I'm slightly disappointed at the multiplayer so far, it doesn't really add anything new, but that cold just be my low leveledness not letting me do much.

I would advise it to anyone with a decent computer and internet connection (if you want to play online)

Other than that...Awesome game.

J_Muller
2007-11-03, 05:08 PM
I've heard that this wasn't very good and has problems such as an annoying control scheme :smallconfused:

No, the control scheme is fine.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-11-21, 04:02 PM
No, the control scheme is fine.

I agree. The interface is nice - you get plenty of info, but it doesn't get in the way. I've never played an MMORPG before, so I don't know if it's the normal thing, but the Shift and Control context-sensitive abilities are a nice touch.
Basically, hitting Ctrl triggers use of whichever buff/heal item the game thinks is best for you - no more worrying about "Ohcrudwheresmyanitdotes!?", and Shift can be bound to any number of skills: When running, shift turns on sprint. Standing still, it makes my Marksman drop into a high-accuracy stance if enemies are at mid-range, sniper zoom if they're far, or stray bullets at high speed if at close range. You can also bind weapons and skills to the mouse buttons, so as a Blademaster (two-sword melee) you can bind both swords to one button and your favourite special ability to the other. Guardian can do Sword on one and Shield Bash on the other. These mouse button profiles are keyed to each of your three weapon equip sets: My marksman has the right mouse button on Snipe for my sniping set, rapidfire for my machinegun and the two buttons fire a pistol each in my dual-pistol set. Similarly, sniper stance is not bound to shift for the pistols, while rapidfire at low accuracy is not bound to shift in the sniper profile - rapid fire still only fires two or three shots with that thing.

Sorry for the rant, but I do like the controls quite a bit. 'Course, hellgate reeks of bugs, but then, it's EA's motto: If it compiles twice in a row, ship it! One area of the game is pitch-black and requires a quest item, some IR goggles, to explore. I saw my character model standing in the darkness with only the portal home and some mobs visible, and assumed a glitch, left and re-entered several times before I thought "Ooooh... right, that's it!"

Lord Shplane
2007-11-21, 05:08 PM
I might get it eventually. Since it is basically a graphic-enhanced Diablo in England.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-21, 08:28 PM
I've heard that the story's pretty weak. Since the Wikipedia article and cinematic clips I found on YouTube have been absolutely no help on this, I don't know whether the story will engage me, which is a big sticking point for me.

Driderman
2007-11-21, 10:55 PM
As far as I understand, it's basically a new Diablo. If you liked Diablo, chances are this will go down well too. If you didn't, you should probably play something else.
Game is known to be buggy and many reviews have been lukewarm at best, but that might be because people were expecting this to be something akin to the second coming of jesus and it turns out to be just another hack, slash 'n loot gorefest

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-22, 12:55 PM
As far as I understand, it's basically a new Diablo. If you liked Diablo, chances are this will go down well too. If you didn't, you should probably play something else.
Game is known to be buggy and many reviews have been lukewarm at best, but that might be because people were expecting this to be something akin to the second coming of jesus and it turns out to be just another hack, slash 'n loot gorefest

Hm. I've already got a Diablo clone. It's called Titan Quest. But I liked the story in Diablo II. So is the story in Hellgate: London basically a similar one? (For the record, I consider the premise and story two different things. The premise of Hellgate: London is that you're a freedom fighter fighting against the demons that have demolished London. The story is what unfolds as you play.)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-22, 01:11 PM
Hellgate is pretty fun. Don't expect an exceptionally deep plot or completely innovative gameplay, but if you go in expecting a bloody, Diablo-style gorefest, it can be a blast, particularly multiplayer in a group. I mean, it is practically a 3D Diablo II set in London...

Prustan
2007-11-23, 04:24 AM
Hellgate is pretty fun. Don't expect an exceptionally deep plot or completely innovative gameplay, but if you go in expecting a bloody, Diablo-style gorefest, it can be a blast, particularly multiplayer in a group. I mean, it is practically a 3D Diablo II set in London...

And I'm too poor to buy it :smallfrown:

Somebloke
2007-11-23, 02:16 PM
Must...upgrade...computer....

Ragh!

I must say, living in London does sort of add to the urge to buy the game.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-23, 02:29 PM
Must...upgrade...computer....

Ragh!

I must say, living in London does sort of add to the urge to buy the game.

The environment is really good I must say. I've only been to London twice but I was able to recognize a couple things. :smallbiggrin:

Somebloke
2007-11-23, 03:50 PM
The environment is really good I must say. I've only been to London twice but I was able to recognize a couple things. :smallbiggrin:

You...you're not making this any easier on me, are you?

Lord Herman
2007-11-24, 07:16 AM
I really like this game. As others have said, it's basically Diablo II in 3D.

It does have its problems, though. There are lots of technical issues. And some things don't seem polished enough. The interface looks nice and streamlined, but you sometimes get half-second delays when you do something in it (like picking up an item).

As for the story - I don't know if it's good. I've given up on following the storyline, because the presentation is really, really bad. There's no voice acting apart from some generic phrases from each NPC, and the interface of the quest texts is very clunky. You get one sentence at a time, so you sometimes have to click 'next' a few dozen times to read through the entire quest text. Combined with the slow response of the interface, it's incredibly frustrating to read through the text you get. Hellgate London is a good hack-and-slash action RPG, but don't bother with the story.

Prophaniti
2007-11-25, 07:24 PM
Just had a chance to play the demo (finally!) and I must say I like it. Ditto on the afore-mentioned 'It's a 3d Diablo' opinion, but I don't mean that as a bad thing. As a matter of fact I recently decided to replay Diablo (I and II) to see if I still enjoy them... and I do, so the idea of a 3d one is very interesting. (I'm a sucker for old games. Yay for X-Com and Might and Magic VI!) This is definitely on my list of games to buy this year. Yes, there are some issues with clunky interface and slow response times but I have no doubt the worst of these will be adressed in patches and such.

I had fun, and that's the whole point of a game.

deepdweller
2007-11-25, 07:57 PM
I pre-ordered it and played it non-stop for a while, and it is good, I have a Blade master and an Engineer. I like the blade master, because it can do alot of damage to several enemies. and I like the engineers because of the bots.

Leon
2007-11-26, 07:11 AM
I pre-ordered it and played it non-stop for a while, and it is good, I have a Blade master and an Engineer. I like the blade master, because it can do alot of damage to several enemies. and I like the engineers because of the bots.

Ive been doing basicaly the same, tho im thinking about stopping playing on my cousins copy and actually getting it myself.

Blade Master is a lot of fun as ive always liked Dual weapon combat and they style of the class is quite nice but im now having a a ball with a Engineer (love my Drone :smallbiggrin: with its upgrades)