PDA

View Full Version : advice? bugbear barbarian: PAM staff & shield or 2wf or ...

da newt
2019-10-29, 09:23 AM
I'm struggling to decide a direction on my AL bugbear barbarian rogue. Initially I wanted to play a bugbear w/ classes that made it what a bugbear is, so I'm a rogue 2, barb 2 now, and planned to go barb 5 rogue X . So far I've been S&B w/ rapier or heavy Xbow working SA and hit and run tactics (with some grappling expertise).

Now I'm about to jump to lvl 5 (for AL you can change anything prior to lvl 5, but then you are locked in). I can have 1 vanilla +1 shield or weapon, plus one magic weapon we've found during an adventure. I've found a +1 longsword, and a Staff of Defense.

Description:
This slender, hollow staff is made of glass yet is as strong as oak. It weighs 3 pounds. You must be attuned to the staff to gain its benefits and cast its spells. While holding the staff, you have a +1 bonus to your Armor Class.
The staff has 10 charges, which are used to fuel the spells within it. With the staff in hand, you can cast one of the following spells from the staff if the spell is on your class’s spell list: mage armor (1 charge) or shield (2 charges). No components are required. The staff regains 1d6 + 4 expended charges each day at dawn.

So I was thinking of trading my shield for the Staff and picking up the dual wielder feat and go with a +1 rapier and the staff in my offhand (resulting in 17 AC - the same as with shield, but no action to don/doff, and a bonus attack). Eventually if I pick up AT then I will also be able to cast mage armor (18 AC), and shield spell when not raging. Dip fighter for 2WF. This will keep SA in play w/ rapier (and extra attack at barb 5), reckless advantage, and I can do all this while 10' away. (an alternate would be to trade the staff for the +1 longsword in the offhand)

But then I started thinking maybe pick up +1 shield and the staff and PAM (dip fighter for dueling fighting style +2). This will improve my AC to 19, match the number of attacks of 2WF, and especially increase the odds of a OA (bugbear reach = attack from 10' then if they move to 5' to attack = OA), but no more SA.

I'm torn. I think PAM is more optimized, but I like the dual wielding theme better than a bunch of 1d6 little stick hits. What else should I take into account? Is there a better other choice? What should I do?

I wish there was a spear/staff that was finesse ...

CTurbo
2019-10-29, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that if you're planning to take mostly Rogue levels, that staff doesn't work with Sneak Attack so you'll probably want to get rid of it. Dual Wielding a Rapier and staff is REALLY lame IMO from a rp standpoint, but it does have some obvious mechanical benefits. I don't think it's worth taking the Dual Wielder feat for though.

I say stick with the +1 Shield and Rapier or better yet try to find a Scimitar of Speed if possible.