PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Non-magical Monk and Ranger Class

booliusdoolius
2019-10-29, 10:49 AM
Hey all, is there a non magical version of these classes, and if there is, can you send me information about them? Thanks.

Telonius
2019-10-29, 11:00 AM
Hey all, is there a non magical version of these classes, and if there is, can you send me information about them? Thanks.

Monk is already generally considered to be mostly non-magical. It casts no spells, has no spell-like abilities, and most (though not all) of its class features are (Ex), not (Su). The few that are Supernatural can't be dispelled, and don't attract attacks of opportunity for using them. (They do turn off in an Antimagic Field).

I'm not aware of anything that trades away all of the Su features. If you want a Monk-like character that uses mostly (Ex) class features, an Unarmed Swordsage (from Tome of Batte) who doesn't use Shadow Hand or Desert Wind would probably be what you're looking for. (Note that some people consider Maneuvers to be "magic for martials," but unless they're specified as being (Su), they're completely mundane).

For Ranger, have a Wisdom of less than 11 (so you can't cast spells), or use the variant Rangers found in Complete Warrior or Complete Champion. (They trade away spellcasting for some other abilities).

Psyren
2019-10-29, 11:34 AM
I know the thread is tagged 3.5, but Pathfinder has some ideas you can steal for this, like the Martial Artist Monk and the Trapper Ranger. Porting those back to 3.5 will give you a couple of solid T4 martial classes.