PDA

View Full Version : Immense Fame warlock pact boon

stewstew5
2019-10-29, 10:57 AM
I love Warlock, a lot, but I always feel like there's something missing from it's kit, three of the most famous "sold my soul to the devil" stories: Fame, Fortune, and Talent, and since wealth is a difiicult thing to account for when designing features, I decide to take a crack at the other two

Pact of Immense Fame
Your pact was made in pursuit of fame and glory. While you are recognizably yourself, or have been identified as yourself, you have advantage on all charisma checks against creatures that are not immune to being charmed.

As well, you learn one spell from any spell list that inflicts the charmed condition, so long as it is of a level you can cast. It does not count against your warlock spells known and humanoids who are under the effect of the first effect of this feature have disadvantage on saving throws to avoid being charmed by this spell, and any time you learn a new spell you may exchange this spell for another one that meets the same conditions

Pact of Immeasurable Talent
You become proficient in two skills, or two tools, or a skill and a tool of your choice. You add your charisma modifier to all ability checks for these proficiencies regardless of if you already add it, and any time you roll under a ten on an ability check for one of these proficiencies, you may treat it as a ten

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-29, 01:44 PM
Cool ideas. Maybe the spell part of the "Pact of Immense Fame" is a bit wordy.

stewstew5
2019-10-29, 07:26 PM
Cool ideas. Maybe the spell part of the "Pact of Immense Fame" is a bit wordy.

Yea it is, but it's hard to quantify stuff like that yknow

sandmote
2019-10-31, 07:45 PM
I'd maybe make the Pact of Immeasurable Talent give a bonus equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of +1). Simpler to follow, doesn't require pointing out it can be applied to charisma skills, and can't be a penalty to the player.

jjordan
2019-11-01, 09:59 AM
I like the idea a lot. When I read the title musicians sprang to mind and I thought of a Warlock that pulls abilities like a bard. A much narrower interpretation of the Immeasurable Talent.

paddyfool
2019-11-01, 11:41 AM
I'd be interested by whether anyone could think of a good wealth-granting boon; roll twice on treasure tables and pick the better outcome? Gain a mysterious cash infusion each time you level up, or a fiefdom that grants you a slightly less mysterious additional income?

Any ideas?

stewstew5
2019-11-01, 12:25 PM
I'd maybe make the Pact of Immeasurable Talent give a bonus equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of +1). Simpler to follow, doesn't require pointing out it can be applied to charisma skills, and can't be a penalty to the player.

Oo good catch

I'd be interested by whether anyone could think of a good wealth-granting boon; roll twice on treasure tables and pick the better outcome? Gain a mysterious cash infusion each time you level up, or a fiefdom that grants you a slightly less mysterious additional income?

Any ideas?

See, wealth isn't equatable in every world and how economies are handled can vary wildly, so it's not as easy as just granting advantage on charisma, or giving a different type of expertise

notXanathar
2019-11-01, 12:35 PM
If you are using the acquisition incorporated spells, it might be an idea to have the pact of immense wealth do some trickery with royalty components, like ignoring them. building on that, anything that muddles with costly material components might work.

stewstew5
2019-11-01, 03:24 PM
If you are using the acquisition incorporated spells, it might be an idea to have the pact of immense wealth do some trickery with royalty components, like ignoring them. building on that, anything that muddles with costly material components might work.

I don't really want to tie it to any one sourcebook (except maybe the phb) and it's hard to gauge how powerful a money-back style system would be, either op or up compared to other pact boons.

One of my thoughts was gaining gp equal ten times the slot level every time you use a warlock spell slot to cast a spell, maybe with a maximum uses per long rest, but I'm not as confident in how balanced that would be