PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Variant Rule of Turning/Rebuke D&D 3.5

Skyvenger
2019-10-29, 03:34 PM
Hello, I have a little doubt about the variant rule, in the book Complete of Divine shows a variant rule that deals damage or heal the undead. Our DM alows the players to chose whitch rule to use in the campaing, For the first time I chosse to use a cleric whith the Fire Domain, I asked the DM if that rule applied to this ability too, he didn't know. Do you know if does?

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-29, 06:20 PM
It doesn't by default (If the rules don't say a thing happens then it doesn't) but it'd be perfectly reasonable and simple to adapt that variant to other types of turning.

Eldonauran
2019-10-29, 06:46 PM
You could model it off of the Pathfinder version of cleric's "turning" ability, which is actually called Channel Energy and deals damage to the undead/heals the living (1d6 for every two cleric levels). The ability to actually turn undead is a feat you can pick up.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-29, 06:54 PM
You could model it off of the Pathfinder version of cleric's "turning" ability, which is actually called Channel Energy and deals damage to the undead/heals the living (1d6 for every two cleric levels). The ability to actually turn undead is a feat you can pick up.

If I'm remembering the variant correctly, that's pretty much exactly what it is. I'd hazard that's where the Paizo guys got the idea in the first place.

nedz
2019-10-30, 01:59 PM
The Turn Water/Rebuke Fire ability from the Fire domain is in addition to the normal Turn/Rebuke undead you get from Cleric.

That said there are three, or so, possible implementations.
1) Fire hurts all creatures except Fire creatures - which it heals.
2) Fire hurts Water creatures and heals Fire creatures.
3) Just heals Fire creatures — as per the Elemental Healing feat (Complete Divine p80). This is 1d8 per two Cleric levels in a 60' burst.

1) is a lot more powerful than the other options.

Rijan_Sai
2019-10-30, 03:39 PM
The Turn Water/Rebuke Fire ability from the Fire domain is in addition to the normal Turn/Rebuke undead you get from Cleric.

That said there are three, or so, possible implementations.
1) Fire hurts all creatures except Fire creatures - which it heals.
2) Fire hurts Water creatures and heals Fire creatures.
3) Just heals Fire creatures — as per the Elemental Healing feat (Complete Divine p80). This is 1d8 per two Cleric levels in a 60' burst.

1) is a lot more powerful than the other options.

I would say, if it is allowed, 2 would be the most keeping in line with the variant. (Honestly, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be allowed; you turn Water as a good cleric turns undead, and rebuke Fire as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Seems to me that it would "flow over" easy enough.)

nedz
2019-10-30, 07:03 PM
Well, for 1), you could just shrink the area, in line with the Dragonfire Channeling (Dragon Magic p17) feat perhaps:
1d6 per 2 Cleric levels, in a 15' cone, half Fire, half Sacred, Reflex half