PDA

View Full Version : Which 3 Magic Items would you Attune too?

Lyracian
2019-10-29, 04:38 PM
Salutations Readers,

I am about to start playing in a game using Treasure Points so I can pick any magic items I want. They have been divided up into tiers so you will not get stuff such as Robes of the Archmagi or Staff of Power until Tier 4.

I was thinking of playing a God Wizard all the way to level 20.
Taking Robes of the Archmagi at Tier 4 and Staff of Defense (LMoP) at Tier 1 gives +5 Level 1 Spell slots for Shield/Mage Armour.
I can also get a Tome of Clear Thought for Int 22. That leaves one slot for attuning an item? I was debating between a wand of Fireballs, extra spell slots, and Amulet of Health/Belt of Dwarvenkind for the Con boost [also Dark vision if I am human].

I was wondering what items other people would pick for Wizards and also, since I can have more than one character, other classes?

Another idea I had was the Arcane Trickster with a Headband of Intellect and a Sun Blade to make sneak attack damage Radiant.

Expected
2019-10-29, 05:14 PM
Regardless of class, I am partial to the Cloak of Protection and Ring of Protection--both provide +1 AC and +1 to saving throws. For a Wizard, though, both Staff of Power and Robes of the Archmage are must-have items. For Arcane Trickster, Headband of Intellect is a solid choice since it frees ASI's if you were planning to increase Int to synergize with Magical Ambush.

Rara1212
2019-10-29, 06:57 PM
If you know you are going to lvl 20, you might reconsider the staff of defense. At lvl 18 you can take Shield as your free lvl 1 spell, and cast it for free. Although that is only at 18th lvl, you might find another staff you want instead. Staff of power is nice with its +2AC & saves.

T.G. Oskar
2019-10-29, 10:24 PM
Consider me weird, but if I'm playing a tank class that wields a shield, one of the slots would be spent on the Shield of Missile Attraction. The benefit is pretty nice (resistance on all ranged weapon attacks) - except the shield is cursed, and the curse remains even if I take off the shield. The curse? Any ranged weapon attack aimed at someone within 10 ft. around me goes immediately towards me.

As a tank, you want to take the hits, so this is less a curse and more "hey, I'm doing my friggin' job!"

The other ones? Cloak of Displacement is a great defensive item if you already are normally difficult to hit. A tank with AC 20 from a Full Plate and a Shield, most likely with the Defense fighting style for that sweet +1 to AC, will make getting hit a lot more difficult. Of course, you want as a tank to take the hits, making this choice counter-productive, but when you already have an item that wards your allies from ranged weapon attacks, all you need is to lock down those that are in melee and they'll be cursing you because they can't move from you, but they can't kill you at all.

The third? Well, I usually like Paladins as tanks, so why not Holy Avenger? AoE aura that grant advantage on saving throws against spells, and a pretty awesome weapon overall. If not...well, a good nice weapon is a decent substitute - say, Flame Tongue?

Meschaelene
2019-10-30, 01:02 AM
I was thinking of playing a God Wizard all the way to level 20.
Taking Robes of the Archmagi at Tier 4 and Staff of Defense (LMoP) at Tier 1 gives +5 Level 1 Spell slots for Shield/Mage Armour.

I don’t know about the Tier ranks, but a ring of spell storing on your familiar is tough to beat — a low level concentration buff for free.

Chugger
2019-10-30, 06:37 AM
consider the items that _don't_ require attunement!

Broom of flying - it's so nice to fly in the higher tiers. No attunement.

Are you going va human for a starting feat? Like warcaster or resil con? Goggles of Night Vision - no attunement.

If you are going high dex and war wizard consider a weapon of warning - it's got a big plus to initiative rolls and other great benefits - you don't have to wield it.

Why not a staff of power? If you can't get that a wand of fireballs or lightning bolts is dang handy. On a round you'd firebolt, instead you can fireball - six times a day. Even at higher levels this is nice.

logannc
2019-10-30, 11:05 AM
0) I always houserule that PCs have a number of attunement slots equal to their proficiency modifier. I know this was out of scope, but it's my favorite houserule so I thought I'd mention it. Smooths things out a bit at all tiers of play.
1) Robes of the Archmagi. Amazing item, no more mage armor!
2) Staff of the Magi (or Staff of Power). At high tiers of play, you can't bump your AC high enough as a mage to meaningfully compete with monsters, so I don't value that +2 AC very much, which makes Staff of the Magi better. Practically unlimited magical fuel for your own spells and defense against single target spells and extra things prepared (at higher than base levels to boot!).

This is where things start to get more complicated and there are a whole bunch of good items for this slot. In a level 20 one shot we did we my house rule, I had several of them.

3) Ring of Air Elemental Command. We don't have a fly speed yet and this is the best in slot way to get a fly speed from an item.
4) Cloak of Invisibility. It's concentration free Greater Invisibility. Can't be hit if they can't target you.
5) Amulet of Health. Constitution 19, take that extra ~60-80 health you wimpy wittle wizard.
6) ... I'm actually blanking on a good item for a 6th slot, but only because I'm choosy. There are many great other items.

For non-attunement, I'm a huge fan of the Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals and the Censer of Commanding Air Elementals. 2 CR 5 summons with no concentration? Pretty sweet. Periapt of Health is good, no more disease. Cubic Gate and Cube of Force are both incredibly versatile.

Bonus: Ioun Stone of Mastery. A bit cheeky with my house rule as the +1 bonus to proficiency makes it effectively attunement-free for an amazing item.

Lyracian
2019-10-30, 02:56 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions everyone.

consider the items that _don't_ require attunement!
I have considered them and Tomb of Clear Thought for Int 22 is at the top of my list. You only get 5-6 magic items so not a lot of space for other items. I figured it was best to start with what items I want to attune too and then fill in the gaps with the Treasure Points that are left.

Are you going va human for a starting feat? Like warcaster or resil con? Goggles of Night Vision - no attunement.
It is a point buy game so I am 50/50 on being Human for the feat since I will only have a 16 Int and Dex no matter what race* I take.

I don’t know about the Tier ranks, but a ring of spell storing on your familiar is tough to beat — a low level concentration buff for free.
Unfortunately that is one the few banned items!

If you know you are going to lvl 20, you might reconsider the staff of defense. At lvl 18 you can take Shield as your free lvl 1 spell, and cast it for free. Although that is only at 18th lvl, you might find another staff you want instead. Staff of power is nice with its +2AC & saves.
I was thinking Enchanter and planning on Hideous Laughter. I have now however found that Staff of Defense only casts Shield as an Action which take it off the list anyway!

For a Wizard, though, both Staff of Power and Robes of the Archmage are must-have items.

Why not a staff of power? If you can't get that a wand of fireballs or lightning bolts is dang handy. On a round you'd firebolt, instead you can fireball - six times a day. Even at higher levels this is nice.Want of Fireballs was one I was considering since it is 6 extra spell slots each day.

Staff of Power/Magi and Robes of the Archmagi are all Tier 4 items and I can only get one of them. It is not like I need to make a decision now. They all have nice options but Robes seems like the best choice of the three if I am not multiclassing Cleric for Armour.

*Sure I could have a 17 but I do not see it really helping.