PDA

View Full Version : Favourite RP system...

Kosmopolite
2007-10-17, 08:46 PM
To play, to GM, story-wise...

Basically, I've been RPing for a little over a year now, and my group cycles from system to system relatively regularly. I was thinking some time in the future about DM/GMing my first campaign, and I was wondering which systems you guys liked and why. :)

clockwork warrior
2007-10-17, 09:06 PM
i like to play arcana unearthed, which is a d20 game created by monte cook. i like it cause its different, and to me it seems that a lot of the "cheese factor" ( now to be refered to as the cf) is greatly lessoned

as far as the setting for it, it could be better, its very vague but its pretty easy to work with, and i like how its all new races/classes

Dark Knight Renee
2007-10-17, 09:45 PM
As a GM I usually just go with interactive narrative or freeform PbP, and aside from one rules-lite D&D game, I play entirely system-less.

As far as actual game systems go, I've only ever used D&D and Star Wars d20 (haven't tried Saga yet). Neither of them is good enough to qualify as an actual favorite.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-17, 09:54 PM
From a setting point of view: WARS RPG
From a one-shot, beat-the crap-out-of-stuff point of view: Mutants and Masterminds 2e
From a change of pace point of view: Cyberpunk 2020
From a good ol' classic point of view: D&D 3.5, preferably PbP

triforcel
2007-10-17, 10:16 PM
My favorite would probably be DnD, solely because that's what I'm most familiar with. I played a couple of Star Wars campaigns, but didn't enjoy it that much. Though I do enjoy the occasional game of a GURPS or BESM like system.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-17, 10:22 PM
I'm most comfortable with D&D Third-and-a-Half, but in an objective sense, Mutants & Masterminds Second is probably the best system out there in all technical respects; if nothing else, it's the most versatile for the least amount of work (Steve Jackson, I love you, but your game is just too damn complicated.)

Kurald Galain
2007-10-17, 10:24 PM
Anything by White Wolf. You can't beat that fluff!

Kosmopolite
2007-10-17, 10:51 PM
I've heard a little about Shadowrun, too. Any thoughts on that?

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-17, 10:57 PM
I've heard a little about Shadowrun, too. Any thoughts on that?

Meh, I've looked into it. Personally, its not my thing. Cyberpunk 2020 is basically the same sans magic and more focus on cyberwear. So I prefer Cyberpunk, but Shadowrun is supposed to be really good, just not my thing.

Winterwind
2007-10-17, 11:09 PM
I don't think anyone around here has heard of my favourite RP system, which would be a postapocalyptic RPG called DeGenesis, currently only available in German, but being translated into English right now.

It takes place in what remains of Europe and Africa after a meteor shower has struck Earth and wiped out most of the civilisation, bringing about a new ice age - the Arctic ice has engulfed the North Sea, while Africa has a moderate clima now.
Together with the meteor came something else - the Foulness, a kind of fungus which began to spread from the many craters, causing insanity and mutation amongst the people who came into contact with it: Slowly, mankind begins to mutate into its own worst enemy, the psychonauts, who sway in midst of the Foulness to melodies only they can hear, merely parts of a hive mind, possessing terrible powers.
Meanwhile, mankind has begun to rebuild in the ruins, shattered into a myriad tribes and organisations. Africa has flourished to the dominating power and begun raiding Europe for the remaining artefacts of the elder civilisation and slaves to work in the oil fields, while Europe clings desperately to its once glorious past, stalking through the ruins.
Another threat: shortly before the Eschaton, the end of the former world, a powerful organisation has scattered bunkers around the world, with the elite of the elite frozen in a cryogenic sleep to wake up when the time is right and rebuild what was lost, while a crew of loyal servants guard their century long slumber. But in the long time the servants have grown inbred and superstitious, praying to the Sleepers as if they were gods, whereas the cryogenic sleep has erased most of their memory - when they awaken, they are but empty hulls, ready to absorb the insane ramblings of their servants about world domination, and still equipped with the mighty technology of the elder civilisation.
And these are but a few of a myriad further metaplots.

So, why do I like this one most? Let's see...

It has a fascinating background: Lots of organisations and cultures all intertwined with each other. Secrets and foreshadowing of greater things happening without anyone having the greater picture. And it tells the tale of both mankind's grimmest hour, with dangers everywhere, and its most glorious moments, when hope and will for survival triumph against the odds. And there are few heroes or villains - but many very, very human beings...

It's focussed on atmosphere instead of mechanics: It has the most fascinating ratio between setting/atmosphere and mechanics I have ever seen in a system - I'm not sure whether the mechanics part is even as long as one sixth of the fluff. That's quite the opposite of a mechanics focussed game like, for example, ShadowRun.
Also, the fluff consists for a great part out of stories, in-character descriptions and more, all designed to enhance the atmosphere. I have never seen an RPG even approximately as well written.

It has lots of metaplot: Like I said, all over the books there are hints at things happening in the background, hints that, if put together, lead to a rather frightening picture, when menaces partially thousands of years old begin to surface, or when one begins to understand a tiny part of the diabolic plans of the Sleepers' masters. And yet, the descriptions are never so definite as to stiffle a gamemaster's creativity - quite the opposite, they enhance it and inspire new ideas instead.

It has a great system: The system is, as previously stated, very short, yet highly flexible. It's skill- and experience based (as opposed to class- and levels), it is simple, and it both allows for a lot of character progression and succeeds at keeping the characters more or less human at all times.

It's fast: One of the fastest systems I have ever seen. This becomes especially apparent in combat - where other systems often need half an hour or more for the resolution, DeGenesis usually needs only ten minutes.

It has the right degree of lethality: Usually one can assume to survive one hit. But not much more. This makes for a system where characters don't die arbitrarily because of a freak chance hit, but is lethal enough to be more or less realistic and to make combat an appropriately dangerous choice.

Its free: At least, the core book is - completely downloadable for free from the publisher's website. The idea is that the people shall see how the system is for themselves, and decide later on whether they want to buy the book in paper form, or any supplemental books (which are strictly not necessary for play, given that they contain mostly metaplot and further setting informations, rather than rules)

It takes place right where I live: Well, more or less, at least, but a few of the old cities have survived and, usually, have a background somewhat related to the real cities (I was rather amused when I learned that the place of my birth, Wroclaw, actually still existed - and anyone who is somewhat familiar with Polish history will understand why I was amused all the more when I learned it was now under the control of an enigmatic figure calling himself the Piast :smallbiggrin: )

The English website would be here (http://www.degenesisrpg.com/), by the way, and even contains a download of a document with a short introduction, quick start rules and an adventure (which, unfortunately, I deem a rather poor representation of what DeGenesis is like).

Yes. I love that system. :smallsmile:
(My avatar is more or less taken straight out of the core rulebook, by the way, of course after stickification)

EDIT:

I've heard a little about Shadowrun, too. Any thoughts on that?Oh, so you're rather interested in recommendations, rather than personal reports then?
Okay, sorry for all the above then.
As for ShadowRun, it is a fairly nice system and a rather interesting world - especially if one likes grim and gritty - it is rather focussed on mechanics though.
I can't say anything about the 4th edition (the current one), but the 3rd one was recommendable.

It offers a lot of character options, it has usually huge cities as a background, allowing for a setting rather similar to our own, except everything has gotten more extreme - the abyss between rich and poor has grown, violence, drugs and intimidation rule the streets, while the better parts are controled by ruthless corporations, cold and soulless.
The system does a good combination of making characters quite powerful (even from the beginning), leaving them lots of place to evolve to, and yet remaining deadly and enforcing being careful at all times.

Kosmopolite
2007-10-17, 11:51 PM
Not just recommendations, no, I'm genuinely interested in everyone's opinions (and the one you talked about sounds pretty cool), though I am also interested in what people would recommend.

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 12:05 AM
Well. aside from DeGenesis (when it finally comes out in English, but I have no idea how long that might take) and ShadowRun, another system I could recommend would be Call of Cthulhu, if you like Lovecraftian horror, that is.

It has rather simple and fast rules as well, allows for just about any (human) character imaginable, and, well, it is Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, which I deem a supremely fascinating setting. Of course, that requires players who want to be scared to death. :smallwink:
It is fairly well written and does a pretty good job of making the mythos stories playable - characters do indeed suffer under the unconceivable horrors they are confronted with, yet (unless the gamemaster wants otherwise) can hold together for as long as the story/campaign is supposed to be. Perfect balance of terror and fun.

All of the above refers to the d100 version, not the d20, which I don't know, but have heard about that it is supposedly quite a lot worse.

ReproMan
2007-10-18, 12:20 AM
I'm gonna go a different direction here and say D20 Modern. It's got a user-friendly system, it's tied to well known core mechanics, it has abundant material and errata, and, considering it's taking place now in the real world, adventures take on a whole new level of integration and interactivity.

DM: You see two men with masks sneak quietly into the alley behind the coffee shop.
Player: The Tullys on 6th and Commerce?
DM: That's the one.

Besides, there is no other system that can leave players with more instances of wondering, "...Y'know, that might... actually... work... Dude, get the car. We're going to experiment."

:)

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 12:27 AM
You get that kind of integration and interactivity with any system set in or close to the real world - ShadowRun, Call of Cthulhu or the World of Darkness accomplish that just as well, if the world is interpreted accordingly.

Bosh
2007-10-18, 12:36 AM
I've gotten very tired of D&D, I think I'm mostly going to stick to FUDGE/Fate/Spirit of the Century from here on out, much more elegant, simple and RP-friendly system than D&D in my experience.

drawingfreak
2007-10-18, 12:52 AM
I hear that Simpler System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59463) is all the rage these day. Eh? :smallbiggrin:

Self promotion aside...I've been more into D&D and d20 modern because they aren't as strictly tied to a story as the White Wolf and Shadowrun games are. Lots of freedom.

Bassetking
2007-10-18, 12:55 AM
I've gotten very tired of D&D, I think I'm mostly going to stick to FUDGE/Fate/Spirit of the Century from here on out, much more elegant, simple and RP-friendly system than D&D in my experience.

Oh sweet god, Spirit of the Century. This. Yes.

The character creation process has a built-in system to ensure party interaction and backstory, The players pertinent abilities are used just as much by the DM as the players, players are actively encouraged through game mechanics to present the DM with plot-hooks and character-issues, it's founded on the concept of Pulp-Novel heroes, it's elegantly simple, and designed for character interaction over combat wargaming....

*Deep Breath*

Oh, Look... an SRD...
http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html

Seriously. I encourage everyone here to try this game. It is .... Brilliantly written, and masterfully executed.

Stormcrow
2007-10-18, 01:00 AM
I hear that Simpler System (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59463) is all the rage these day. Eh? :smallbiggrin:

Self promotion aside...I've been more into D&D and d20 modern because they aren't as strictly tied to a story as the White Wolf and Shadowrun games are. Lots of freedom.

What kind of Shadowrun have you been playing that's "tied to a story" its less tied to a story than any of the D&D settings. Unless you mean tied to the "The world was normal then magic happened now its awesome" story in which case yes, the ties are rigid and unbending.

0oo0
2007-10-18, 01:08 AM
A game that has always interested me greatly, but I have never been able to actually play is Dead Inside (http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/products/di.asp). From reading through the book, I love the concept, love the setting,love the focus on roleplaying your character. The premise is wonderful. The mechanics seems simple and fast.

I own the book, but have never felt up to the task of GMing a game, because of my general lack of experience in that field, and the fact that none of the other people I play with have it.

Bosh
2007-10-18, 01:23 AM
Oh sweet god, Spirit of the Century. This. Yes.

The character creation process has a built-in system to ensure party interaction and backstory, The players pertinent abilities are used just as much by the DM as the players, players are actively encouraged through game mechanics to present the DM with plot-hooks and character-issues, it's founded on the concept of Pulp-Novel heroes, it's elegantly simple, and designed for character interaction over combat wargaming....

*Deep Breath*

Oh, Look... an SRD...
http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html

Seriously. I encourage everyone here to try this game. It is .... Brilliantly written, and masterfully executed.

Yup, what he said. I'm current working on a Game of Thrones hack for Spirit of the Century that'll throw out the pulpy-ness and add big handfuls of grit, while still trying to keep ahold of all the stuff that makes SotC such an amazingly-awesome game. Its the first rules book I've read in a loooooong time that made me sit up and think "wow, I never even thought of doing things that way before, that makes so much sense and deals with a problem I've been having for a while."

MrNexx
2007-10-18, 01:27 AM
Palladium. My heads been pretty deep inside Rifts the past few weeks, and I've got more to come on that...

Now if I could only PLAY.

namo
2007-10-18, 04:17 AM
Amber DRPG. Diceless but not completely free-form. It's generally about intrigue, but it can be strategical/..., almost whatever you want it to be. The rulebook is only available on pdf now - though it may be republished at some point.

The first step is to read the excellent series of books (by Zelazny).

Now if only I could play... :smallfrown:

--
I played Shadowrun twice - it seemed nice, but not so dramatically different from D20 as to make me say "wow".

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 04:52 AM
I played Shadowrun twice - it seemed nice, but not so dramatically different from D20 as to make me say "wow".Really?
That's quite a fascinating point of view, may I ask what caused that impression? ('cause it hardly can have been the mechanics, given that the check resolution system is completely different (and relies on rolling (Skill Value)d6), there are no hit points, no Vancian magic system, no levels, no classes and the entire thing is purely skill-based)

namo
2007-10-18, 05:51 AM
Really?
That's quite a fascinating point of view, may I ask what caused that impression? ('cause it hardly can have been the mechanics, given that the check resolution system is completely different (and relies on rolling (Skill Value)d6), there are no hit points, no Vancian magic system, no levels, no classes and the entire thing is purely skill-based)

I shouldn't have said it - I knew someone somewhere would pounce on it. :smallsmile:

Drop the comparison with D20 : my point is, the mechanics didn't wow me. Which doesn't mean that they're bad either. Mmh, now I kinda feel like playing it again, just to see if I judge it differently (it was a few years ago).

In any case, leave your dice behind and go play Amber.[/fanatic speech]

Foolosophy
2007-10-18, 06:29 AM
Deadlands Classic.

Wierd West and Hell on Earths are really inspiring settings for me and the Deadlands Classic ruleset has exactly the amount of complexity I want while giving my players and me enough room to experiment and roleplay.

jameswilliamogle
2007-10-18, 06:52 AM
DnD 1st ed. w/ only the 3 core books. Yep... but nobody I know plays it, so 3.5 is ok.

I also like the 90's Cyberpunk 2020 from Talsorian... only got to play it a few times. I don't like Shadowrun; I never got into Star Wars (blasphemer, I know).

Call of Cthulu, with a good GM, was really, really interesting, but the system wasn't that great.

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 07:27 AM
I shouldn't have said it - I knew someone somewhere would pounce on it. :smallsmile:I'm not pouncing, I just wondered how you arrived at that conclusion, 'tis all. :smalltongue:

Drop the comparison with D20 : my point is, the mechanics didn't wow me. Which doesn't mean that they're bad either. Mmh, now I kinda feel like playing it again, just to see if I judge it differently (it was a few years ago).Ah, I see - and it's a view I can perfectly understand, if not confirm due to never having played D20. I suppose all mechanics-heavy systems are somewhat alike - if not in the realisation of the mechanics then at least in the underlying philosophy. :smallsmile:

In any case, leave your dice behind and go play Amber.[/fanatic speech]I'm playing completely freeform half the time already, so there aren't that many dice to be left behind anyway. :smallbiggrin:

WhiteHarness
2007-10-18, 08:09 AM
GURPS.

The Riddle of Steel.

Burning Wheel.

I'll give my opinions on each later.

hamlet
2007-10-18, 08:10 AM
DnD 1st ed. w/ only the 3 core books. Yep... but nobody I know plays it, so 3.5 is ok.

I do. Well . . . 2nd edition with the three core books, but still . . . We are out there . . .

As for systems, I feel I must put in my daily plug for Arduin. Go over to www. arduin.com and read all about upcoming developments. Even if you only glance at it, the World Book of Khass is really really REALLY good (if'n you ignore spelling and editing errors, but we're working on it, honest).

Other systems to recommend: Shadowrun 3 (it's complicated, but not hard to learn), Call of Cthulhu d100, 7th Sea the original roll and keep system, WEG Star Wars, d6 Fantasy (Weg game just like Star Wars), GURPS, and Hero.

Hell, I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend that you try anything that isn't D20 since D20 is saturating everything and must die a slow and horrible death.

PnP Fan
2007-10-18, 08:14 AM
For Playing: Mutants and Masterminds.
For Dming: DnD
For DMing at Conventions: DnD
For Fantastic Fluff: White Wolf
For Change of Pace: Mechwarrior (very simple system, easy to learn, quick playing if you have an experienced DM)

Techonce
2007-10-18, 08:26 AM
I've played Shadowrun 1st and 2nd editions. I really enjoyed them.

Combat was a bit tediuos at times, but with practice it gets faster. Invest in d6's.

Mechanics wise, It's very far away from D&D. no classes, hp, levels.

I don't know about 3rd or 4th editions though. If I remember right, I liked 1st edition a bit more than 2nd, and in the end ran a hybrid of the 2.

The setting is different, there is alot of history there now if you want to use it, or go your own way.

I miss my troll in full body armor with the fully automatic assault cannon on a gyroscopic mount...

Bosh
2007-10-18, 09:30 AM
GURPS.

The Riddle of Steel.

Burning Wheel.

I'll give my opinions on each later.

I've been really wanting to give some of those a shot, especially Burning Wheel, but I'm afraid that they're crunchier than my group would want.

Tyrrell
2007-10-18, 09:58 AM
My favorate game is Ars Magica but the game really shines the most after you've played a particualr campain for more than ten sessions. The same could be said of D&D or almost any game but the diference is more pronouned in Ars.

For a quick pick up game I like D&D because everyone knows it, knows many of the tropes associated with it and can get by the "getting their feet wet" stage of the game and dive in to play with little ramp up time.

I'm also a big fan of Exalted for its over the top coolness, the mechanical beaty of the better written game mechanics of the line and how much fun the Exaled stunt mechanics make combat scenes.

I've got riddle of steel and burnig wheel but apart from a two hour demo session of riddle of steel I've never played them. But they sure do read cool.

By and large I've alwys been underwhelmed by more simple games. They forgo the descritpive power of mechanics. Well made mechanics can tell a story with a sense of detail and immediacy that mere words alone unaided by numbers can never equal. Give me third edition Shadowrun over Fudge any day Detailed game mechanics tell stories better than handwavy + and - signs. (personal opinion of course)

The Prince of Cats
2007-10-18, 09:59 AM
Many of the good systems have been named, but I have one more.

Seventh Sea

Quite honestly, I have never played a system that is so good at bringing out the roleplayer in my group of munchkins. Flashy, swashbuckling fun with low-lethality and streamlined rules for dealing with grunt-level foes.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-10-18, 10:23 AM
Hm; I'm a big fan of Shadowrun, since I think it really has a good grip on what made 'cyberpunk' cool.

I play mostly D&D, obviously.

Fond of Everway, M&M 2nd, Wraith, and Amber.

Indon
2007-10-18, 11:29 AM
I... I don't think I have one.

I'm a freak!

*runs away sobbing*

Nevar
2007-10-18, 11:34 AM
To play in: Rolemaster, it's so complex I love it. However DMing it is a nightmare
To DM: To be honest I don't have one
Fluff: Warhammer, the universe is just fun
Honorable mentions: GURPS, so much you can do so little time.

MrNexx
2007-10-18, 02:23 PM

Where do you live? I'm always up for 1st edition.

Ravyn
2007-10-18, 04:09 PM
Exalted 1E, by a long shot. Partly because I can't resist stunt mechanics (yay writing practice!), partly because of the customization, partly because I can whip up and adjust stats for an NPC on the fly without one little change turning into a mess of adjustments. (Besides, the setting has just enough backbone to make my penchant for extrapolationary fluffmastery really take off.)

Lord Zentei
2007-10-18, 04:13 PM
To both play and to GM: GURPS, D&D.

Also to GM: homebrew.

Storywise: World of Darkness, D&D, sundry Runequest adaptions.

Tengu
2007-10-18, 04:29 PM
From published systems, Exalted, Earthdawn and Fading Suns. However, the first place in my heart will always belong to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44150), for purely subjective reasons - it is not a gem, but I like the creator very much!

Idiotbox90
2007-10-18, 05:36 PM
Unknown Armies is great for supernatural horror in a modern day setting.

Paranoia XP is the most fun Sci-Fi game ever.

Fate is a great generic game, good for nearly anything.

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 05:52 PM
Paranoia XP is the most fun Sci-Fi game ever.Seconded. How could I forget about that one in my recommendations :smalleek: ?
I'm off to the execution booth immediately! The Computer is Your Friend! :smallbiggrin:

Also, haven't played Unknown Armies myself, but what I heard and read about it sounded awesome.

Kosmopolite
2007-10-18, 09:56 PM
So if I wanted to GM one of these systems? Which would you recommend for my first time, D&D aside (since we already have a campaign we're halfway through)?

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 10:27 PM
So if I wanted to GM one of these systems? Which would you recommend for my first time, D&D aside (since we already have a campaign we're halfway through)?Depends on your preferences. What do you think where you have the best story to tell, horror, fantasy, science fiction, post-apocalyptic, parody, cyberpunk?

Serenity
2007-10-18, 10:32 PM
I'm really,really fond of the Cinematic Unisystem as presented in the Buffy and Angel RPGs. Really easy to learn, the mechanical portion of character creation doesn't last much longer than ten minutes, very adaptable and free-flowing...

Ulzgoroth
2007-10-18, 11:21 PM
Unisystem having been mentioned, I've got to say I found the classic unisystem of Witchcraft/Armageddon nifty-looking. Haven't played it yet, but just looking it over for a bit got me spontaneously stating out characters. It took rather more than 10 minutes each, but I agonize over correct placement of skill points.

Kosmopolite
2007-10-18, 11:34 PM
I'd like to do something modern, I think, but with fantasy elements. I'd begun to think about Shadowrun, but I've seen a lot of Internet arguments about the different editions etc., so I wasn't sure. The concept of GURPS has appealed to me for a while, but I don't really know much about the system.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-18, 11:44 PM
I would highly suggest WARS RPG. It is mostly futuristic, but highly scientific and believable. Humans have succeed to get as far as Pluto in a matter of months, in 300 years (it's based in the late 2380s). One of the alien races is extremely old and has "rift" technology, basically creates wormholes for their ships to travel long distances. And the other race is their former slaves who are currently at war with their former master, but got unwillingly transported with their former master's planet (long story) right smack between Jupiter and the asteroid belt. Now the quantum energy is messed up creating kizen who are humans and aliens who can manipulate quantum energies to do certain feats (electricity control, fire control, telepathy, great speed, great strength, etc.) The players are by defualt kizen and they are in the midst of a five-way war!

EvilJames
2007-10-19, 04:19 AM
I have always loved 2nd ed AD&D, but I've gotten burnt out on running it so now I run a Hero weird west game. I liked ICE when what little I played of it but since that game never really got off the ground I can't give a true opinion of it. Kobolds ate my baby and Wilderness of Mirrors are great quick ones-shot systems that have potential to turn into campaigns, and are always ridiculously awesome even if they only remain for one-shot game nights.

A friend of mine has been dying to run Fireborn or Fudge but he rarely gets around to setting a time for such things. If I ever get to play them I'll let you know how they are.

Winterwind
2007-10-19, 02:06 PM
I'd like to do something modern, I think, but with fantasy elements. I'd begun to think about Shadowrun, but I've seen a lot of Internet arguments about the different editions etc., so I wasn't sure. The concept of GURPS has appealed to me for a while, but I don't really know much about the system.ShadowRun, Call of Cthulhu and White Wolf's World of Darkness all fit this bill (CoC offers the choice between 1870ies, 1920ies and modern day, SR is in a future sufficiently near for you to interprete it either as "modern" or "futuristic", as you please, and the WoD takes place in the modern day as well).
Can't say much about SR edition issues, since the 3rd one is the only one I've ever played.

Crow
2007-10-19, 03:19 PM
Shadowrun (3rd edition) is a game I most whole-heartedly reccommend. I started back in 2nd edition and then started GMing with 3rd edition. It is a nice flexible system, and allows for a lot of different campaign models. There is a pretty heavy metaplot nowadays, but I don't like any of it, so ignore it for the most part. We have actually stopped playing since our last campaign (sometimes you just can't top that last campaign, so why spoil the game with a new one?).

Our group likes D&D quite a bit, so we play that regularly.

What we have just begun to play is D20 modern. We are quite impressed. It is versatile, and is great fun, while using a familiar ruleset.

Try Cyberpunk 2020 is you absolutely must have a Mr. Studd...

Kosmopolite
2007-10-19, 03:25 PM
Yeah, my group just started d20 modern (or at least have generated characters). I really like the character generation system.

So about Shadowrun: why did you stop at 3rd ed. What is wrong with 4th?

EDIT: Mr. Studd?

Winterwind
2007-10-19, 03:30 PM
So about Shadowrun: why did you stop at 3rd ed. What is wrong with 4th?I just had a fairly large number of supplemental books for 3rd ed., 3rd edition worked for our group, so we saw no reason to switch to 4th, that's all.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-19, 03:31 PM
Try Cyberpunk 2020 is you absolutely must have a Mr. Studd...

I would also highly recomend Cyberpunk 2020. There is a 3v, but I don't know much about it and not much is out for it yet.

On the Mr. Studd note, one of my player's characters was a female who got the exotic bunny package combined with the ultimate pleasure package...yeah.

Kosmopolite
2007-10-19, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I don't get the reference.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-19, 11:01 PM
Sorry, I don't get the reference.

Mr. Studd is an implant for males to increase there sexual ability and pleasure gained. The pleasure package is a set of implants, bioware and cyberware that combine to make the ultimate sex machine, both give and take.

Kosmopolite
2007-10-19, 11:02 PM
Ah. Thanks.