PDA

View Full Version : Help modifying Undying Warlock

Nefariis
2019-10-29, 08:28 PM
I'm giving my players free spells/small abilities that fit their characters thematically.

Druid and Wizard I am giving them a 2nd level spell at level 4 and 4th level spell at level 8.
Paladin 1st level spell and a 2nd level spell sometime later (he multi-classed) and probably a free item.
The fighter I am giving a new skill called "Tactics" that he can use in and out of combat.

which leaves me with my mastermind rogue who's always been fairly difficult to please

The Rogue sounds like he is interested in taking a dip of warlock which is awesome and I immediately thought of Undying as it fits his character thematically (he is currently carrying a powerful undead artifact that has been been affecting him recently) - but after he looked at it he (rightfully) said, "why would anyone play Undying when Hexblade is just better."

I don't personally care if he plays a Hexblade, I just thought it would be a much more fun story if he is starting to get his Undying powers from this undead artifact that's already affecting him.

I was thinking that I would use his free small ability/spell feature to sweeten the "Undying" class a little bit to make it on par or slightly better than the Hexblade.

So my goal for this is to make "Undying" better as an archetype and to add a little something extra that is on par with what I am giving the other players.

So far here are a few things that I have been toying around with -

Spell changes - the Undying spells are pretty terrible

Cantrips: Toll the dead, spare the dying

1st levels Spells: Dissonant Whispers and Ray of Sickness

Change the first level ability to something that is less situational than just undead

Among the Dead :

Starting at 1st level, you learn the Spare the Dying (and maybe Toll the Dead) cantrip, which counts as a warlock cantrip for you. You also have advantage on saving throws against any disease.

You gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

Your baleful curse has trouble damaging you - if your baleful cursed creature targets you directly with an attack or a harmful spell, that creature must make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC (no save required with an area effect, such as the explosion of Fireball). On a failed save, the creature must choose a new target or forfeit targeting someone instead of you, potentially wasting the attack or spell. On a successful save, the creature is immune to this effect for 24 hours. A baleful cursed target is also immune to this effect for 24 hours if you target it with an attack or a harmful spell.

If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

I'm just kind of spitballing here, but does that seam too ridiculous and too far out of line with what I am giving the other players?

And please keep in mind, on the flip side of this, he could just take Hexblade and still get a free something on top of it.

So if you think this is too powerful, your suggestion has to at least be on par with Hexblade with a free something - which is what he would end up getting if he didnt take this.

Thank you as always for your input