PDA

View Full Version : Wizards, Archivists, and Sanctified Spells

Zombulian
2019-10-30, 12:14 AM
Alright, so according to the wording of BoED, it seems that while Druids, Rangers, Paladins, and Clerics get free access to sanctified spells (as they have access to their entire class spell list while preparing for the day), Wizards and Archivists are stuck with having to record sanctified spells in their books. Since sanctified spells aren’t class specific however, that also seems to
mean that you can’t add them to a book automatically at level up.
So I guess that leaves me with my question: Besides buying or finding scrolls or spellbooks, are there any tricks to get access to sanctified spells?
For Archivists I see people point to stuff like Domain Draughts that you drink and then scribe away while under their effects.
I suppose you could call a Lammasu to give you access to 7th level Cleric casting, but as 7HD creatures they’re outside of the reach of Lesser Planar Ally or Lesser Planar Binding. Anything you can try sooner?

St Fan
2019-10-30, 04:44 PM
Excuse me, but I have to ask: what's wrong with "buying or finding scrolls or spellbooks"? It's the standard way for finding arcane spells...

And why specifically sanctified spells? Alternate way of finding spells work for any of them.

Anyway, I can mention a simple trick for a wizard (for spells up to level 5):

Take one level of Spellthief and the Master Spellthief feat.
Drain the spell that interest you from an enemy (or an ally, whatever...)
Cast said spell.
Memorize the spell just cast with mnemonic enhancer or mage's lucubration.
Write the spell on your spellbook while it is memorized.

Zombulian
2019-10-30, 09:13 PM
Excuse me, but I have to ask: what's wrong with "buying or finding scrolls or spellbooks"? It's the standard way for finding arcane spells...

And why specifically sanctified spells? Alternate way of finding spells work for any of them.

Anyway, I can mention a simple trick for a wizard (for spells up to level 5):

Take one level of Spellthief and the Master Spellthief feat.
Drain the spell that interest you from an enemy (or an ally, whatever...)
Cast said spell.
Memorize the spell just cast with mnemonic enhancer or mage's lucubration.
Write the spell on your spellbook while it is memorized.

While it is the standard it is also by nature DM dependent, requiring either finding a caster capable of casting the spell you want or going to a magic mart that just happens to have any spell that you can afford. Now, that’s actually not a totally unreasonable thing to assume for a 3.5 game, but I like to have my bases covered anyway.

St Fan
2019-10-31, 11:04 AM
DM-dependent doesn't mean your character is forbidden from actively looking for new spells, scrolls, spellbooks, mentors, etc. in his spare time.

For archivists, there's an even better way than Domain Draughts:

Take the Planar Touchstone feat.
Goes to the Fortress of Disciplined Enlightenment on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus.
Gets admission within and pursue the recharge condition for the high-order ability.

You thus gain access to a domain -- any domain, whatever your religion -- and can cast three spells from it.
You may need to create a scroll first before transcribing the spell to your prayerbook, as the spell isn't exactly "memorized".

Rinse and repeat for every domains in existence.

Zombulian
2019-10-31, 12:15 PM
That’s a good trick, though it doesn’t help with Sanctified spells, I’ll note it for later.

I think the best option I’ve come up with so far is getting a hold of the Spirit Ally line of spells off of the Shaman list and using it to call Ghosts of Clerics of whatever HD cap you’re working with.

Thurbane
2019-10-31, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if this recent question and answer might help you or not?

Q 293

Is there any means or method for Corrupt or Sanctified spells to count as being on a "class list", for the purposes of the Chameleon's Arcane Focus/Divine Focus, a Wyrm Wizard's Spell Research, or similar abilities? To clarify, not looking to simply utilise Corrupt/Sanctified spells in the normal method that any prepared caster can use, but specifically to have the spell count as being on a "class list" please.

A293

Sanctified Spells: A 5th-level exalted arcanist can use sanctified spells as though they were among her spells known.

This is the closest that I can find of Sanctified Spells being on a class list.

Zombulian
2019-10-31, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure if this recent question and answer might help you or not?

Hmmm interesting.
Being accessible via Chameleon may be useful, though the prereqs are non-trivial.