PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help

CygnusWyrdstone
2019-10-30, 07:35 AM
Hey folks! I'm excited to be joining a new game and have built possibly the most detailed character I ever have before but It uses classes I've never played so I'd love so help on optimization before we start.

Concept: a young boy around 10 or 11 who's father went on a quest and never returned, and mother fell I'll. Armed with a wooden sword he tries to be an adventurer like his dad. The spirits of his parents guide and protect him without him knowing.

Class Choices: I'm thinking Moon Druid + Devotion Paladin

I'm thinking to start with 2 levels of pally for fighting style (+1 AC since i cant wear metal and am using a shield so I dont get murderized too easily) and 1 of druid for Shileliegh.

Moon druid let's me shape into a bear (his Teddy) or giant toad (his pet frog pip) and for shileliegh since his sword is basically a quarter staff reflavored

Devo pally for the divine strike bonus and because he was taught the tenants as basically what youd expect parents to instil on their kid.

None if these powers he knows he has rather the Shileliegh and divine strike are his father's spirit enchanting his blade to protect him in battle. Wild shaping is the sylvan blood in him from being a half elf whose mother was a druid.

Stats: we use standard array and I'm currently looking at half elf with the following stats:

STR 8
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 16
CHA 16

WIS and CHA being highest for the Shileliegh and divine strike bonuses.

Playstyle: aiming to basically act like a fighter. Sword and shield, charging into battle sometimes wildshaping but not always.

Game Details: we use PHB only, start at level 3, and get 1 level per 4 weeks of play.

Open to any and all suggestions that will help me keep the theme of a child protected by the spirit of his parents. I'm pretty confident this is a decently optimized build but last time i asked a question here i got a lot of new ideas so I'm trying again. Thanks!

Yunru
2019-10-30, 07:45 AM
I don't have much to say other than it's painful to see that you can only use PHB, since this concept screams the Barbarian subclass Path of Ancestral Guardian.

Oh, and watch out for multiclass requirements! Unless you DM waives them (as any sensible one should), you need at least 13 strength to multiclass either into or out of Paladin.
(Easily solved with point buy, less so with standard array.)

CygnusWyrdstone
2019-10-30, 08:10 AM
Thankfully our DMs dont seem to care about multiclass prerequisites. And yes, I'm sad about PHB only.as well.but we have 40+ players and 6 DMs so the keep it simple for a reason lol

Trandir
2019-10-30, 08:28 AM
What's the race you have chosen to play as?

It looks like Variant human with a half feat to boost either charisma or wisdom from your starting stats

Also what's divine strike?

Bobthewizard
2019-10-30, 11:04 AM
I would go moon Druid first. Moon Druid 2 wild shape is very powerful and fun at level 2, less so at level 4. Then take 2 levels of paladin for smites. Then Druid the rest of the way. It looks like a fun character.

CygnusWyrdstone
2019-11-03, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys! Looking forward to playing him today.