PDA

View Full Version : (Straud) Sorcadin help

ImpieBA
2019-10-30, 05:35 PM
Hi! So, we're doing Straud in a night this Saturday. We are adapting our 3.5 characters for 5e for this at 10th level as a Halloween special. Thing is, between work and Halloween things, I haven't had a ton of time to dedicate to it, and since this is probably just for one night before resuming 3.5 and I'm not super used to 5e enough, I'm struggling with build ideas.

I have to be Sorcerer and Paladin and Human. The other details are up to me. What I can say is this. Oath of the Crown or Ancients fits my character best thematically. Sorcery Origins hasn't really been set. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to go with it. Not sure what levels to go with. I'd like to use a longsword since he uses that in the normal campaign, too. Any ideas for me?

Teaguethebean
2019-10-30, 06:00 PM
It really depends here on what you wish to focus on as you have said you want to be an oath of the crown or Ancients you should go with paladin 7 sorcerer 3 the only spells you need are booming blade and then concentrate on Spirit guardians or moonbeam based on the oath you choose. Every turn you can focus on sticking near your fellow frontlines to aid in their defenses with your lv7 feature and aura of protection. I am not certain of how you are doing stats but with point buy and variant human you can at lv1 have Warcaster and str16 dex 10 con 14 int 8 wis 8 cha 16 and then at paladin 4 bump charisma or strength.

rickayelm
2019-10-30, 06:06 PM
Of you decide to go oath of the crown I would do 3 levels of crown with 7 levels of Dragon sorcerer(either fire or lightning), if you go ancients then it is 7 levels of ancient with 3 levels of divine soul.

CheddarChampion
2019-10-30, 06:39 PM
Paladin 6/Sorcerer 4 is good for the saving throw boost.
Paladin 7/Sorcerer 3 is good if the level 7 aura is worth the loss of a stat boost (otherwise you'd get two stat boosts/feats).
Paladin 5/Sorcerer 5 is good for extra attack and 3rd level sorcerer spells (think Fireball and Haste).
Paladin 2/Sorcerer 8 is good for many spell slots, 4th level sorcerer spells known, and you can reduce the hurt of not getting extra attack by casting 'Booming Blade' or 'Green Flame Blade' (both are spells from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide). These spells allow you to make a weapon attack as normal (though the max range is 5 feet) and they deal 1d8 bonus damage after 5th level. BB does even more damage if the enemy hit moves from their space on the grid, GFB does additional damage to an enemy adjacent to the target.

Variant Human is usually more powerful than normal human.
Assuming the standard 27 point buy in 5e:
15/10/13/8/10/15 -> apply your two +1's -> 16/10/13/8/10/16
With the feat you get from V. Human take 'Resilient' and choose the constitution stat -> 16/10/14/8/10/16
Great Weapon Master is like Power Attack from 3.5e but it's set at -5 accuracy +10 damage (and a cleave that costs your bonus action, which is the equivalent of a swift action from 3.5e). It's very good if you intended to use a greatsword or the like.
Polearm Master grants a bonus action attack and a reaction (like immediate action) attack if an enemy moves into your range.
War Caster gives you advantage on constitution saving throws made to maintain concentration. That may not be necessary if you have 6 levels in paladin (as you'll get +9 to those using the above stats and feat) but it lets you cast a spell when an enemy tries to leave your reach and lets you ignore full hands for somatic components.
Charisma+2 will give +1 to saving throws, +1 to spell attack rolls, and +1 to spell save DC.
Strength+2 will give you +1 to melee weapon attack and damage rolls.
Shield Master... is iffy. It gets you 3.5e evasion if you use your reaction. It also lets you knock an enemy prone as a bonus action, but ask your DM if you can do that before the attack.

Other tips:
There is no arcane spell failure chance. Wear the heaviest armor you can get your hands on (and take your first level in paladin).
Take proficiency in athletics (or acrobatics if you have a higher dexterity). These are used to resist grapples, like a vampire might try to do. Athletics also is used to grapple and to shove.
It is generally harder to make a bad build in 5e compared to 3.5e.
Sorcadin is recognized as one of the most potent multiclass combinations in 5e.
Spells slots are combined for multiclassing. Every two paladin levels count as one sorcerer level for total spell slots (Paladin 6/Sorcerer 4 has the slots of a level 7 sorcerer). This does not affect spells known or the highest level spell you can learn.
You can make good use of better spell slots when smiting. If you score a critical hit you can choose to smite afterwards, doubling the extra damage dice, but not if you cast a spell with 'smite' in the name (Wrathful Smite for example). Those effects are applied as soon as you hit a creature after casting and getting a crit with such spells is lucky happenstance.
Bless is a great low level spell to cast. Accuracy and saving throws +2.5 on average for three allies (which may include yourself).
The spell Divine Favor is great when you need multiple doses of radiant damage (think positive energy from 3.5e).
Shield of Faith is great combined with sword and board - even with only chainmail you can get an AC of 20. Platemail is +2 further, the defensive fighting style is +1 further. You can also take the shield spell as a sorcerer for a maximum of 28 AC.
Twin Spell is great for hitting to creatures with BB at once or casting haste on two characters.
Quicken Spell is great for casting a spell and attacking in the same turn.
The great weapon fighting style does not apply to BB/GFB, smite spells, or smites. At best it is +1.33 damage per hit. You're often better off with +1 AC.

ImpieBA
2019-10-30, 07:00 PM
Right, forgot stats!

I can go with his 3.5 stats

Str 17
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 11
Cha 20

(we roll for stats so they can get pretty high)

or I can reroll new ones.

Thanks for the ideas! That was pretty quick! It seems I mostly should be Paladin 6 or 7 and round out with Sorcerer, then. Good to know. And I have a few good ideas for origins and things. Thank you!

CheddarChampion
2019-10-30, 10:28 PM
Str 17
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 11
Cha 20

Definitely go with Variant Human. Boost Str and Wis by 1 each, take a feat (warcaster won't work since you technically don't qualify at level 1). Then you have the option of two other feats or Str+2 and one feat. You'll be very powerful and your lowest save will be at +7!
For reference, save DC's go as high as 19 without shenanigans.

Blood of Gaea
2019-10-31, 12:50 PM
Definitely go with Variant Human. Boost Str and Wis by 1 each, take a feat (warcaster won't work since you technically don't qualify at level 1). Then you have the option of two other feats or Str+2 and one feat. You'll be very powerful and your lowest save will be at +7!
For reference, save DC's go as high as 19 without shenanigans.
As a Sorcadin, I'd probably go for +1 Str, +1 Con, and Resilient (Con), making your concentration basically bulletproof. He'll still get Wis proficiency and probably Aura of Protection for Wis saves.

CheddarChampion
2019-10-31, 01:22 PM
As a Sorcadin, I'd probably go for +1 Str, +1 Con, and Resilient (Con)

Ah, that would indeed be better.