PDA

View Full Version : So, about the Sphinx Pox

Fireblaster3147
2019-10-30, 06:49 PM
How long has it been since the desert? It’s been mentioned once but never again.

The Pilgrim
2019-10-30, 08:59 PM
And it will never be mentioned again.

It was an one-time joke. It belongs to the past now, together with Fyrion's son and Redcloak's niece.

It's gone.

Svata
2019-10-30, 09:03 PM
It's irrelevant. They have a cleric. A cleric who *knows about it* given he was in the head of Hel's High Priest at the time.

Algeh
2019-10-30, 09:55 PM

It was an one-time joke. It belongs to the past now, together with Fyrion's son and Redcloak's niece.

It's gone.

Are you saying that Fryon's son and Redclock's niece have the Sphinx pox?

The Aboleth
2019-10-30, 10:17 PM
Are you saying that Fryon's son and Redclock's niece have the Sphinx pox?

Of course not.

We're saying they are the Sphinx Pox!

Bilbo Baggins
2019-10-30, 10:45 PM
How long has it been since the desert?
I think it were only aboot a week. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1136.html) Anyway, like other have said. Deadly? Sure. Incurable? No. I doubt it'll come up again.

facw
2019-10-30, 11:40 PM
How long has it been since the desert? It’s been mentioned once but never again.

It's only been a week a most. The way the timeline works out I'm pretty sure Belkar is supposed to die before they become symptomatic. Additionally, they are now travelling with two clerics, both of whom are either uninfected or infected days after everyone else, so curing it should be easy. It seems like the only way it would become a problem is if they split off from the airship before they do anything about the disease, but it's hard to see how that would fit into the story.

factotum
2019-10-31, 01:53 AM
It's irrelevant. They have a cleric. A cleric who *knows about it* given he was in the head of Hel's High Priest at the time.

When were we shown that Hel's High Priest knew about the Sphinx Pox? As far as I recall, its only mention was Hel talking to Thrym about it, and there's certainly no rule that a god has to tell their High Priest *all* their secrets.

urbanwolf
2019-10-31, 02:22 AM
Also anyone that gets hit with a heal spell will have it removed. That's heal the 6th level spell not any old plain healing.

ti'esar
2019-10-31, 04:25 AM
I do think there'll probably be a line at least dealing with the Sphinx Pox, although possibly only in a bonus strip. It's a throwaway joke, but I'm pretty sure the Giant is aware of what kind of readers he has.

Morquard
2019-10-31, 06:39 AM
Mr. Scruffy will sneeze on the Snarl, who's much more vulnerable to mortal diseases than divine ones (which is the true reason he always dismantles reality, really), and dies. The good guys win, piece of cake. Cake for everyone. Then Belkar chokes on a piece of cake. He should have savored it more, I guess.

knag
2019-10-31, 08:24 AM

I calculate from one two four weeks, if Mr. Scruffy caught the disease early or late in their time in the Western Continent. Leaving 1-4 weeks left in the 5 week incubation period. Belkar has less than three weeks left to live, so it is possible the Sphynx Pox timeline lines up with the Belkar Prophesy timeline. Does it make narrative sense to have him die that way? Perhaps not, but the timelines do work.

MossyMeow
2019-10-31, 10:53 AM
Mr. Scruffy will sneeze on the Snarl, who's much more vulnerable to mortal diseases than divine ones (which is the true reason he always dismantles reality, really), and dies. The good guys win, piece of cake. Cake for everyone. Then Belkar chokes on a piece of cake. He should have savored it more, I guess.

So how does Redcloak’s niece factor into this?

Emanick
2019-10-31, 11:49 AM

It's gone.

That strikes me as very, very unlikely. That’s a Book 1-style stunt, not a Book 6-7 one. Specifying that everyone on the Mechane has a potentially deadly, infectious plague and then never mentioning it again would be both not a very good joke and, much more importantly, awful writing.

I have much more faith in Rich than to assume he is such a dreadful writer.

Cazero
2019-10-31, 12:24 PM
She made the cake, obviously.

Son of A Lich!
2019-10-31, 12:40 PM
My DM senses are tingling - I imagine it will be a great comic relief for everyone on board the Mechane to be spouting riddles at each other for them to figure out what's going on. A good last laugh from Hel while they solve more pressing issues.

Miscommunication is a core element of sitcom humor, and this disease was A) Made for the comic, B) given explicit details in how it operates, C) was given a timeline and D) is contagious.

Plus it pays off the whole "Thor can't make storms that Hel can't stop, Hel can't make Plagues that Thor can't cure" thing with the Domains early in the book.

D.One
2019-10-31, 01:28 PM

She factors as much as Miko's true redemption and a full set of polearms in Jiminy's shop.

MossyMeow
2019-10-31, 06:04 PM
She factors as much as Miko's true redemption and a full set of polearms in Jiminy's shop.

That theory is postively absurd. Anyone with a lick of sense is aware that Jimmy will never, ever have polearms in his shop.

The Pilgrim
2019-10-31, 06:22 PM
That strikes me as very, very unlikely. That’s a Book 1-style stunt, not a Book 6-7 one. Specifying that everyone on the Mechane has a potentially deadly, infectious plague and then never mentioning it again would be both not a very good joke and, much more importantly, awful writing.

Do you want to bet about it?

The Sphynx Pox will play no role in the story, ever, and will never be mentioned again except as a passing commentary, and probably not even that.

MossyMeow
2019-10-31, 06:25 PM

The Sphynx Pox will play no role in the story, ever, and will never be mentioned again except as a passing commentary, and probably not even that.

Here's a thought: what if the Sphinx Pox is used as justification for the crew of the Mechane not to participate in the final battle? That way it still has a purpose, but isn't a major plot point.

The Pilgrim
2019-10-31, 06:29 PM
Here's a thought: what if the Sphinx Pox is used as justification for the crew of the Mechane not to participate in the final battle? That way it still has a purpose, but isn't a major plot point.

The crew of the Mechane has already demonstrated in-comic that they are professionally trained to avoid participating (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html) in such a battle. They do not need further de-motivations.

MossyMeow
2019-10-31, 06:33 PM
The crew of the Mechane has already demonstrated in-comic that they are professionally trained to avoid participating (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0935.html) in such a battle, without need of further reasons.

Eh, fair enough. I do think the Sphinx Pox will be referenced again at some point. If nothing else, I expect a sort of brick joke in the epilogue, where just after their victory, the Order of the Stick and the crew of the Mechane come down with a hilariously anticlimactic case of Sphinx Pox, only to be immediately healed. Cue cutaway panel of Hel looking disappointed while Thrym comforts her. The End.

Or maybe not, it could go either way. I'm not terribly invested in the idea.

Riftwolf
2019-10-31, 07:27 PM
Death Giant: *psst* Do you think we should mention Sphinx Pox has a DC12 Fort or Will save?
Other Death Giant: Maybe leave it and see how the vampires get on.

The Aboleth
2019-10-31, 07:47 PM

I personally think it'll come up in a bonus strip when Utterly Dwarfed is released. I don't know why, but it just feels like prime bonus strip material.

deuterio12
2019-10-31, 07:52 PM

The same cleric(s) who can't magically repair a broken wooden table.

Nor scry/divine for a big tree to make a new table.

Also the cleric who needs a unique divine artifact from their god for the epic task of breaking a wooden table.

All of cleric magic in the world couldn't either break, repair or make a simple wooden table. What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?

The Aboleth
2019-10-31, 08:07 PM

Also the cleric who needs a unique divine artifact from their god for the epic task of breaking a wooden table.

All of cleric magic in the world couldn't either break, repair or make a simple wooden table. What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?

I can't tell if you're serious or not. I'm leaning towards...not?

Schroeswald
2019-10-31, 08:17 PM
He is, he always is, he's even said this stuff before.

The Pilgrim
2019-10-31, 08:25 PM
No, he is not.

The Aboleth
2019-10-31, 08:31 PM
He is, he always is, he's even said this stuff before.

Ah, gotcha.

Well, just in case it needed to be spelled out anyway:

1) It is in the best interest of the world for the Dwarves to NOT repair the table in a timely fashion...and even if it gets repaired within a few days, Squeaky says the Council can delay the vote. Source:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html

2) Clerical magic is capable of curing diseases. Heck, there's literally a spell called "Remove Disease" which Durkon--as a high level Cleric--certainly can cast. Source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm

Peelee
2019-10-31, 08:47 PM
What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?

The Remove Disease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm) spell.:smalltongue:

Svata
2019-10-31, 09:08 PM
Not only that, but we know the spell exists in the OOTS-verse. As it was explicitly mentioned.

here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html)

Emanick
2019-10-31, 09:46 PM

Absolutely. I’ll bet you 20 quatloos that Sphinx Pox will serve a story role larger than “passing commentary.” Deal?

The MunchKING
2019-11-01, 12:30 AM

They COULD, they explicitly said they wanted it to take a long time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html) to give them a chance to beef up their anti vampire defenses. Not coincidentally this also gives OotS the chance to thwart Hel's plans by stopping the need for a vote.

D.One
2019-11-01, 07:01 AM
That theory is postively absurd. Anyone with a lick of sense is aware that Jimmy will never, ever have polearms in his shop.

Hence, you understood my comparison... :smallwink:

The Pilgrim
2019-11-01, 08:51 AM
Absolutely. I’ll bet you 20 quatloos that Sphinx Pox will serve a story role larger than “passing commentary.” Deal?

Deal! Beam me up!

Sir_Norbert
2019-11-01, 04:55 PM
I mean... this is a comic where Hilgya came back, Zz'dtri came back, Miko appeared on-panel long after her death, and even the nonsensical movie snacks interlude turned out to be significant.

I can understand betting on "won't become a plot point". But betting on "not even mentioned again" seems to be a very, very long shot.

Schroeswald
2019-11-01, 05:21 PM
I mean... this is a comic where Hilgya came back, Zz'dtri came back, Miko appeared on-panel long after her death, and even the nonsensical movie snacks interlude turned out to be significant.

I can understand betting on "won't become a plot point". But betting on "not even mentioned again" seems to be a very, very long shot.

But The Pilgrim bet on no more than passing mention, not “not even mentioned again”.

WindStruck
2019-11-02, 01:08 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were Rich Burlew posting on a secret account. Why are you giving everyone spoilers?

ti'esar
2019-11-02, 06:49 AM
and even the nonsensical movie snacks interlude turned out to be significant.

Significant is a strong word. It got a callback joke, but I wouldn't equate that to "it was foreshadowing the many previous worlds thing all along!"

WindStruck
2019-11-02, 09:55 AM
Significant is a strong word. It got a callback joke, but I wouldn't equate that to "it was foreshadowing the many previous worlds thing all along!"

It seemed so silly that no one in their right mind would call it "foreshadowing" even in hindsight.

Nevertheless it was significant.

Quebbster
2019-11-02, 10:45 AM
It seemed so silly that no one in their right mind would call it "foreshadowing" even in hindsight.

Nevertheless it was significant.
I disagree. Snackworld hasn't affected the story in any way. The gags were cute, but it could just as easily have shown us Laser Snail and the other gritty cyberpunk animals.

The Pilgrim
2019-11-02, 11:18 AM
But The Pilgrim bet on no more than passing mention, not “not even mentioned again”.

Yep. A callback joke to the readers who think it was significant, maybe. But, relevant to the plotline? Not in a comic were the outcome of characters is a result of their actions and choices, not of a random God planting a random ilness on some arbitrary desert gas station that only appeared in a bounus comic.

denthor
2019-11-04, 11:54 AM
Remember that disease causes you to speak in rhyme. Until that happens it is a non factor.

Ruck
2019-11-04, 12:23 PM

The strip that mentioned it also specified an incubation period long past the documented time frame to get to the expected climax of the story. (Something that could be further confirmed if, say, Team Evil finds the final gate at the end of this book.)

By all evidence, deuterio is reading an entirely different comic than everyone else.

D.One
2019-11-04, 01:34 PM

And don't forget the previously unnamed MontyPithoneske polearm shopkeeper who ended up being Jiminy, Haley's cousin.

mjasghar
2019-11-04, 01:45 PM
If they make a side trip to the astral plane that will effectively pause time

Ruck
2019-11-04, 02:39 PM
And don't forget the previously unnamed MontyPithoneske polearm shopkeeper who ended up being Jiminy, Haley's cousin.

The movie snacks were not significant to the plot, and neither was Jiminy being the shopkeeper. The Pilgrim explained it perfectly (well, the part about the random God is less applicable here):

Yep. A callback joke to the readers who think it was significant, maybe. But, relevant to the plotline? Not in a comic were the outcome of characters is a result of their actions and choices, not of a random God planting a random ilness on some arbitrary desert gas station that only appeared in a bounus comic.

D.One
2019-11-04, 02:47 PM
The movie snacks were not significant to the plot, and neither was Jiminy being the shopkeeper. The Pilgrim explained it perfectly (well, the part about the random God is less applicable here):

I agree with that. I don't really think suddenly Sphinx Pox will move the plot, even by one inch. I just don't think it will be forgotten, but it will probably get a comment in the lines of:

:durkon: "Thank Thor I'eve detected tha symptoms for Sphinx Pox and cur'd you'all"

The Aboleth
2019-11-04, 03:00 PM
By all evidence, deuterio is reading an entirely different comic than everyone else.

I always thought Followers of the Bramble was far inferior to this comic, though.

Ruck
2019-11-04, 03:06 PM
I agree with that. I don't really think suddenly Sphinx Pox will move the plot, even by one inch. I just don't think it will be forgotten, but it will probably get a comment in the lines of:

:durkon: "Thank Thor I'eve detected tha symptoms for Sphinx Pox and cur'd you'all"

Yeah, very possible. It just seems like there's been some confusion lately about what's a callback and what is plot-relevant. (Geoff having a son who is his motivation to help Bozzok is plot-relevant. That son being the same guy from the polearm store isn't, unless him being Geoff's son affected his actions toward Roy in some way-- and from all available evidence, the existence of Monty Python had a greater effect on his behavior.)

I always thought Followers of the Bramble was far inferior to this comic, though.

Oh, it is. Everyone is a Mary Sue, has plot armor, or is a plot-armored Mary Sue. People remember and forget they have powers as the story dictates. Nothing seems to happen for any rhyme or reason.

D.One
2019-11-05, 08:27 AM
Oh, it is. Everyone is a Mary Sue, has plot armor, or is a plot-armored Mary Sue. People remember and forget they have powers as the story dictates. Nothing seems to happen for any rhyme or reason.

Oh, you must admit, since the their elven high mages learned how to mold plot into magic armors, their armies have been unstoppable. :smallwink:

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-05, 11:11 AM
Nothing seems to happen for any rhyme or reason. Oh good, at least they don't have the Sphinx Pox. :smallbiggrin:

D.One
2019-11-05, 02:00 PM
Oh good, at least they don't have the Sphinx Pox. :smallbiggrin:

All thanks to alchemical plot potions.

Jasdoif
2019-11-05, 02:05 PM
By all evidence, deuterio is reading an entirely different comic than everyone else.Aftereffects from prolonged exposure to Erfworld, I'm afraid....

Ruck
2019-11-05, 02:13 PM
Oh good, at least they don't have the Sphinx Pox. :smallbiggrin:

Ahahah. Not often a forum joke makes me laugh out loud. Well done.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-11-05, 02:26 PM

It's gone.

I agree that Fyron's son is a never mentioned again, but I'd be genuinely shocked if Redcloak's Niece was a dropped plot thread. The utter insanity of some of the speculation about her has become a forum in-joke, but that doesn't mean she isn't going to be relevant in the future. Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?

I could also easily see Sphinx Pox being the subject of a call-back joke, like the automated prayer system and sentient theater snacks wound up being. It's never going to be plot relevant, but that doesn't mean it can't come back as the subject of another joke.

EDIT: And it turns out we agree about the Sphinx Pox being a call-back joke, so I didn't need to say anything.

Jasdoif
2019-11-05, 02:28 PM
I agree that Fyron's son is a never mentioned again, but I'd be genuinely shocked if Redcloak's Niece was a dropped plot thread.Wouldn't she have to be a plot thread first?

Quizatzhaderac
2019-11-05, 02:55 PM
My money is on brick joke/ callback. Fatal diseases seem a bit much to be handled off panel, even in D&D.

Second bet is on some other complication happening to make the pox a bigger headache (maybe the Mechane abandons them to go off and get treated?)

But what I'm really wondering is: What if you suck at riddles?

Will the riddles be really obvious, or impossible (due to being malformed)? Does the pox itself grant the ability to improv riddles?

What humorous things will Belkar say when he's talking in riddles? I'm picturing him (instead of saying "me") saying "what (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/3p37/) has two thumbs at looks like a tool shed?"

D.One
2019-11-05, 03:13 PM
Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?

Herring, the Red.

Peelee
2019-11-05, 03:26 PM
My money is on brick joke/ callback. Fatal diseases seem a bit much to be handled off panel, even in D&D.
Even when the fix is merely a third level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm)?

Herring, the Red.
I'm totally stealing that.

Jasdoif
2019-11-05, 03:32 PM
Herring, the Red.I'm totally stealing that.Peelee, the Red-Handed.

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-05, 03:36 PM
Even when the fix is merely a third level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm)?
Hmm, if they are all headed North, can't Lien or O'Chul just lay on hands and cure disease, or did 3.5 drop that?

The MunchKING
2019-11-05, 03:57 PM
Hmm, if they are all headed North, can't Lien or O'Chul just lay on hands and cure disease, or did 3.5 drop that?

I thought Laying on hands curing disease was a Pathfinder thing...

Doug Lampert
2019-11-05, 04:03 PM

3.5 Paladins get Remove Disease 1/Week at level 6 (2/week at 9, 3/week at 12). Because having Paladins actually be able to protect a group of any size from disease would be overpowered or something.

O'Chul doesn't have enough Paladin levels to have a mount, so he's out. Lien may well have it more than once a week as she's probably got quite a few Paladin levels.

The MunchKING
2019-11-05, 04:38 PM
I looked it up, I'm surprised they don't get cure disease as a spell in 3.5 SRD.

The Pilgrim
2019-11-05, 06:58 PM
I agree that Fyron's son is a never mentioned again, but I'd be genuinely shocked if Redcloak's Niece was a dropped plot thread. The utter insanity of some of the speculation about her has become a forum in-joke, but that doesn't mean she isn't going to be relevant in the future. Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?

Well, I do not rule out that Redcloak's niece may end up playing a role in the main comic. Problem is, she was a character of a prequel book, and The Giant already stated that no information from a prequel book would be mandatory to follow up the main comic. Therefore, for her to play a significant role in the last book, she needs to have been mentioned before in the main strip. Which, after 6 books, hasn't happened.

I suppose we could get an info dump at the beggining of Book 7, but The Giant has planned this stuff long enough to not having to rush it at the last moment. He could, for example, have got her mentioned by Redcloak during his interactions with Jyrix back in Gobbotopia. Like MitD casually mentioned Right-Eye to O-Chul (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0550.html).

Besides, I think she already fulfilled a role, in the prequel
Right-Eye being able to smuggle her out, saving her life, serves as a small cushion for Right-Eye's tragic outcome, in the sense that at least he was able to save one of his children.

But, no, I do not rule out that she can pop up in the main strip, though I think it's highly unlikely, for the reasons I stated.

The Aboleth
2019-11-05, 07:06 PM
Besides, I think she already fulfilled a role, in the prequel
Right-Eye being able to smuggle her out, saving her life, serves as a small cushion for Right-Eye's tragic story, in the sense that at least he was able to save one of his children.

But, no, I do not rule out that she can pop up in the main strip, though I think it to be highly unlikely.

Not only that, but it hammers home just how desperate their situation had become that Right-Eye feels the safest place for her is with humans. Life under Xykon had become THAT bad!

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-06, 08:29 AM
3.5 Paladins get Remove Disease 1/Week at level 6 (2/week at 9, 3/week at 12). Because having Paladins actually be able to protect a group of any size from disease would be overpowered or something. I am glad we had this exploration into 3.5 Paladin cure disease stuff, since 5e (which I play) gives the class a cure disease option through lay-on-hands. One can heal hit points or cure a disease ... but the 3.5 method is a bit more controlled and is a lot more like the AD&D 1e Paladin:

The ability to cure disease of any sort: this can be done once per week for each five levels of experience the paladin has attained, i.e. at levels 1 through 5 one disease per week, at levels 6 through 10 two diseases, at levels 11 through 15 three diseases, etc. So it looks like Lien is the likely source of any cure disease efforts up at the Pole.

D.One
2019-11-06, 08:32 AM
So it looks like Lien is the likely source of any cure disease efforts up at the Pole.

You mean besides Durkon and his tons of slots that can be used for a Remove Disease spell...

KorvinStarmast
2019-11-06, 09:58 AM
You mean besides Durkon and his tons of slots that can be used for a Remove Disease spell... Indeed, I was focusing the Paladin angle, and hadn't realized until this side discussion that O Chul likely isn't able to.

Quebbster
2019-11-06, 10:11 AM
Well, I do not rule out that Redcloak's niece may end up playing a role in the main comic. Problem is, she was a character of a prequel book, and The Giant already stated that no information from a prequel book would be mandatory to follow up the main comic. Therefore, for her to play a significant role in the last book, she needs to have been mentioned before in the main strip. Which, after 6 books, hasn't happened.
Crystal killing Grubwiggler (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0974.html) happened in a bonus story and was covered in a single panel, despite main comic-only readers not even being aware that Grubwiggler having been dead.
The Brewmaster's Tale (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1096.html) recaps information from prequel books that is about to become plot relevant.
So she could probably pop up if that's what the story required it.

Darth Paul
2019-11-06, 10:32 AM
Indeed, I was focusing the Paladin angle, and hadn't realized until this side discussion that O Chul likely isn't able to.

For the record, my speculation is: Not having seen O-Chul's mount yet, is not the same as him not having the levels to summon one. I don't recall anywhere in the text where it's shown he's actually not high enough level to summon a Paladin mount yet. Although it's very possible I missed that somewhere, but as far as I know it's just our joint speculation. (I'm holding out hope that he'll summon a celestial rhinoceros in Book VII.)

Quebbster
2019-11-06, 10:39 AM
For the record, my speculation is: Not having seen O-Chul's mount yet, is not the same as him not having the levels to summon one. I don't recall anywhere in the text where it's shown he's actually not high enough level to summon a Paladin mount yet. Although it's very possible I missed that somewhere, but as far as I know it's just our joint speculation. (I'm holding out hope that he'll summon a celestial rhinoceros in Book VII.)
"If I had [a paladin mount] we would already be riding it." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1034.html)
It's not quite the same as saying he does not have one, but they have made a very long journey on Razor and on foot. So if O-Chul had a paladin mount it would need to be something that is of no use on water or land - and it shouldn't fly either. That limits the options quite a bit.
On the other hand, he might be able to level up a bit and get a paladin mount during book VII...

Darth Paul
2019-11-06, 10:42 AM
"If I had [a paladin mount] we would already be riding it." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1034.html)

Memory goes the older you get. Thanks for the link.

Quizatzhaderac
2019-11-06, 06:26 PM
Even when the fix is merely a third level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm)?Yes, I'm measuring from the significance of the problem, not the significance of the solution. Rich explained Belkar surviving falling off the mountain, even though that's not too difficult in universe.

There's also all sorts of ways that the disease could manifest at an inopportune time.

Party is split for ten minutes? Disease manifests, crucial information cannot be relayed.
Durkon has it prepared less than five times, someone is stuck like that for a day.
The entire ship manifests on the same day. Durkon then prepares remove disease twenty times the next day, and there's a random encounter.

Peelee
2019-11-06, 06:41 PM
Yes, I'm measuring from the significance of the problem, not the significance of the solution. Rich explained Belkar surviving falling off the mountain, even though that's not too difficult in universe.

Falling killed Roy. He was injured, but also shown to be tougher than Belkar, so it's reasonable to expect he may have been killed by the fall. Also, there was significant build-up to that; Durkon tossed Belkar off the ship multiple times, which was why Belkar got that ring, which then saved him on the mountain. Sphinx pox this far has only a single last-panel joke dedicated to it, so I would contest that the mountain and the disease are close to the same significance.

Quebbster
2019-11-07, 01:10 AM
The Feather Fall item also became relevant during the frost giant ambush (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1053.html). It could be useful in the future too. It needed to be introduced.

Fyraltari
2019-11-07, 03:33 PM
I read the ‘Sphinx Pox’ scene as the Giant ‘showing obvious tactics not working’ [will include link when not on phone]. Thor tried to crash the Mechane using his powers only to be stopped by Durkon* but the Order had no such défense at the time so why wasn’t Hel using her divine powers to stop them? Well, she’s trying.

Jasdoif
2019-11-07, 03:35 PM
I read the ‘Sphinx Pox’ scene as the Giant ‘showing obvious tactics not working’ [will include link when not on phone].This one?

Apparently Haley doesn't have particularly good ranks in Knowledge(Arcana) to have identified a flesh golem but still try to use a wand that SR applies to against it.Psssst! Sometimes, characters take suboptimal actions in the comic for the express purpose of showing less D&D-familiar readers that a certain tactic is useless, to avoid constant comments like, "Haley is so dumb, why doesn't she use the wands she just bought on it?"

Fyraltari
2019-11-07, 03:46 PM
This one?

Probably. I remembered something else but I might just have a bad memory.

unluckiest13
2019-11-11, 12:02 PM
Falling killed Roy. He was injured, but also shown to be tougher than Belkar, so it's reasonable to expect he may have been killed by the fall. Also, there was significant build-up to that; Durkon tossed Belkar off the ship multiple times, which was why Belkar got that ring, which then saved him on the mountain. Sphinx pox this far has only a single last-panel joke dedicated to it, so I would contest that the mountain and the disease are close to the same significance.

I thought falling killed Roy the same way sneezing would have killed crystal after her fight with belkar. I mean yeah, the fall was the nail in his (literal) coffin, but only after a finger of death and a meteor swarm to the face.

woweedd
2019-11-11, 06:50 PM
I thought falling killed Roy the same way sneezing would have killed crystal after her fight with belkar. I mean yeah, the fall was the nail in his (literal) coffin, but only after a finger of death and a meteor swarm to the face.
Well, yeah, but, as Peelee said, he also had way more HP then Belkar. It may well be, at this high a level, mathematically impossible for a full-HP Roy to die from falling damage. The same cannot be said for Belkar.

unluckiest13
2019-11-12, 09:15 AM
Well, yeah, but, as Peelee said, he also had way more HP then Belkar. It may well be, at this high a level, mathematically impossible for a full-HP Roy to die from falling damage. The same cannot be said for Belkar.

you know...I had a point when I posted this, but for the life of me, I cant remember what it was...probably something about if a joke disease is more significant than a Flumphless fall...so im just gonna say I misunderstood Peelee.

Svata
2019-11-26, 01:46 PM
There. It's done. Resolved. By a cleric with the spell, as predicted

Dion
2019-11-26, 01:50 PM
Reading this thread makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

littlebum2002
2019-11-26, 02:17 PM
Why did they cut to Roy? Is Rich trying to imply that he isn't cured?

Peelee
2019-11-26, 02:20 PM

Because cutting to Roy to show what he's up to, like we saw with the rest of the Order, made for a better beat panel than showing Durkon and Mateo looking at each other in silence, is my guess.

Squire Doodad
2019-11-26, 02:24 PM
Because cutting to Roy to show what he's up to, like we saw with the rest of the Order, made for a better beat panel than showing Durkon and Mateo looking at each other in silence, is my guess.

Actually, Roy isn't cured! Not until tomorrow, when Durkon refreshes his spell list and does the second round of curing.

The Pilgrim
2019-11-26, 02:37 PM
Damn it, I had just updated my sig. :smallconfused:

Gift Jeraff
2019-11-26, 02:53 PM

It's supposed to be like a "record scratch" moment. The montage scene is proceeding as usual but then it goes back to reflect Matteo's "wait a minute, WHAT?" reaction.

Schroeswald
2019-11-26, 02:54 PM
Damn it, I had just updated my sig. :smallconfused:

Congrats on the 20 quatloos!

Squire Doodad
2019-11-26, 02:55 PM
It's supposed to be like a "record scratch" moment. The montage scene is proceeding as usual but then it goes back to reflect Matteo's "wait a minute, WHAT?" reaction.

I'm pretty sure it's a lot more pleasant than that. As in, the last panel is the record scratch moment, not Roy sleeping.

littlebum2002
2019-11-26, 03:11 PM

Oh, Ok. That makes more sense then.

Also how awesome are the rats tucking him in?

Squire Doodad
2019-11-26, 03:14 PM
Oh, Ok. That makes more sense then.

Also how awesome are the rats tucking him in?

Terrible because now they're a vector of SPHINX POX!

Peelee
2019-11-26, 03:15 PM

Psh. They're a scalar at best!

littlebum2002
2019-11-26, 03:36 PM

This isn't a very pointed discussion

D.One
2019-11-26, 04:27 PM

This isn't a very pointed discussion

I can't quite see the direction this is going...

Dion
2019-11-26, 06:48 PM
I can't quite see the direction this is going...

It’s non-linear

Peelee
2019-11-26, 06:55 PM
It’s non-linear

Don't tell the Guild.

Darth Paul
2019-11-26, 07:19 PM
Don't tell the Guild.

You mean, don't rat us out?

D.One
2019-11-27, 06:56 AM
You mean, don't rat us out?

So, should he rat us in?

Squire Doodad
2019-11-27, 04:42 PM
So, should he rat us in?

No, because there are vampires around

RatElemental
2019-11-28, 05:18 AM
Why do I suddenly feel the need to be in this thread? Did someone call my name a bunch?

D.One
2019-11-28, 08:22 AM
Why do I suddenly feel the need to be in this thread? Did someone call my name a bunch?

Sure, feel like you were in your own mouse... :smallbiggrin:

Darth Paul
2019-11-28, 05:10 PM
Sure, feel like you were in your own mouse... :smallbiggrin:

Or in your own element(al).

Squire Doodad
2019-11-28, 09:31 PM

* conjures mirror *

"RatElemental, RatElemental, RatElemental"

Peelee
2019-11-28, 09:33 PM
* conjures mirror *

"RatElemental, RatElemental, RatElemental"

You said it into a mirror, so it got done backwards you summoned an elemental rat.

Schroeswald
2019-11-28, 09:38 PM
You said it into a mirror, so it got done backwards you summoned an elemental rat.

No, we have some Latnemele Tar.

Peelee
2019-11-28, 09:49 PM

Nah, that's if you said it reversed.

It's a funny mirror.

Fyraltari
2019-11-29, 03:08 AM
http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/funny-cartoon-comic-strip-moon-wolf1.jpg

Peelee
2019-11-29, 08:06 AM
http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/funny-cartoon-comic-strip-moon-wolf1.jpg

OK, that was brilliant.

Resileaf
2019-11-29, 09:27 AM
OK, that was brilliant.

But how, there's no sun with which to reflect the light! It shouldn't be brilliant!

Squire Doodad
2019-11-29, 12:20 PM

That does go for a lot on the black tarket though

Riftwolf
2019-11-29, 01:29 PM

Great, you just banished Rat Elemental to the fifth dimension!

I don't get it...

Squire Doodad
2019-11-29, 01:39 PM
Great, you just banished Rat Elemental to the fifth dimension!

I don't get it...

It's just messing with expectations.

Werewolves turn into wolves due to a full moon. A reverse werewolf turns into a moon due to a full wolf.

D.One
2019-12-02, 08:07 AM
It's just messing with expectations.

Werewolves turn into wolves due to a full moon. A reverse werewolf turns into a moon due to a full wolf.

And what are the phases of a wolf?

The first things I think of are Wolf - Dragon - Bear - Tiger - Golden Werewolf

Jasdoif
2019-12-08, 01:27 PM
The first things I think of are Wolf - Dragon - Bear - Tiger - Golden WerewolfWhy must you alter the beast?