PDA

View Full Version : monsters of strip 144

Flubadubdub
2007-10-17, 09:53 PM
I know this has been discussed before, and the answer I mostly heard was troll (which I never understood, since first edition trolls had long noses)

Go figure, recent comics have trolls with long noses.

So what the heck are those things?

Xerxes Shadow
2007-10-17, 09:56 PM
I'm thinking ogres or homebrews. The annoying thing about ogres, though, is that the ogre mage is the more "ogre"-looking ogre, but the ogre looks like a horse. So really, I can't tell.

They could be kobolds with fangs, a Mass Enlarge Person spell, and a skin condition!

Also, here's a link to 144: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0144.html

†Seer†
2007-10-17, 10:25 PM
I know this has been discussed before, and the answer I mostly heard was troll (which I never understood, since first edition trolls had long noses)

Go figure, recent comics have trolls with long noses.

So what the heck are those things?

They are Oprah loving monsters *nods sagely*

David Argall
2007-10-17, 10:34 PM
Hill giant is a possibility, tho those don't usually have fangs.

Yeygresh
2007-10-17, 11:08 PM
Half-Giant Orcs. Huge + Medium = Large?

Chronos
2007-10-17, 11:13 PM
We've already seen ogres (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html), so that's not it. And whatever they are, they're apparently CR 11, which is rather high for any of the ugly, brutish giant-types.

FoE
2007-10-17, 11:51 PM
They're very likely hill giants. As Chronos has pointed out, we've seen ogres before, and those of us who own Origin of PCs can tell those are clearly not trolls, because Rich drew a troll in that book with a classic long-nosed" appearance with bushy black hair.

Porthos
2007-10-18, 12:34 AM
According to the OotS Game, they are "Green Orge-Like Things".

And on one of the two cards that they appear, the GOLT says, "Look, I said we're not trolls, now can we just drop it?"

And the card is right, coz we see trolls in both Origins and Comic #492, and they look nothing like the "Green Orge-Like Things". :smallamused:

SoD
2007-10-18, 05:19 AM
My thought, knowing the cards are correct aside, could be...half ogre half orcs with a large amount of NPC classes in warrior?

Warrior because...well, why not? We don't see them using any fighter bonus feats, or spells, or sneak attack, or raging, or anything like that.
Half-ogre for the large size.
Half-orc because they're green and have fangs.

Almost the same colour as Thog, also.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-18, 07:06 AM
They are not ogres or trolls: we have seen both of those.

They are probably not hill giants, since those are not green in the SRD (the OOTS universe might be different, of course...)

They might be Ogre Mages, since those are indeed green and ogre-like. Of course, Ogre Mages are supposed to be smart and possess spell like abilities, so perhaps they are retarded and/or a degenerate sub-branch of Ogre Mages.

Chronos
2007-10-18, 12:21 PM
They are probably not hill giants, since those are not green in the SRD (the OOTS universe might be different, of course...)Neither are goblins, for that matter. If Stickworld goblins can be green, then so can Stickworld hill giants.

2007-10-18, 12:30 PM
Neither are goblins, for that matter. If Stickworld goblins can be green, then so can Stickworld hill giants.

Goblins aren't Medium either.

Those things could be bugbears for all we know.

Wrecan
2007-10-18, 12:36 PM
They could be merrows (aquatic ogres). Their skin can be green. They may have just been wandering a bit from their lake in search of a snack. (They would have had to take a feat or something to give them amphibious qualities, but they were probably advanced by character class anyway to provide a challenge to the party.)

This would also fit the description of "ogre-like creatures".

Lord Zentei
2007-10-18, 12:45 PM
Neither are goblins, for that matter. If Stickworld goblins can be green, then so can Stickworld hill giants.

Indeed. Though the default assumption should be that the SRD holds; i.e. in the absence of further evidence, yes?

Anyway, this why I said they were probably not hill giants. :smallwink:

Twilight Jack
2007-10-18, 12:46 PM
Put me down as voting for orocs, those half-ogre/half-orc things that get referenced in 2ed AD&D from time to time.