PDA

View Full Version : E6 Replacing Standard Wands in E6

BlackOnyx
2019-10-31, 02:44 AM
In an E6 setting with "strict" limitations on magic items (listed CL as prerequisite, no 4th level+ spell access), what effects might substituting standard wands with eternal wands (MIC 159) have on overall gameplay and class balance?

(My initial thought is that such a change might help to limit the potential for wand abuse/encounter spamming (esp. for casters) while cutting down on bookkeeping, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.)

EDIT: What implications might this mechanical change have if it were extended to dorjes (the wand's psionic equivalent)?

Crake
2019-10-31, 04:48 AM
I see no issue with leaving wands as they are in e6. Keep in mind that a 2nd level wand is 4.5k, about as much as a +2 set of armor, while a 3rd level wand is 11,250gp, significantly more than the cost of a +2 weapon, and also just on the cusp of the total wbl of a standard 6th level character, so "spamming" them shouldn't really be an issue, as most of the treasure they accrue will simply be rolled back into buying/crafting more.

As for your solution of just making them into eternal wands instead, keep in mind that there's nothing stopping people from buying/making multiple eternal wands of the same spell and just spamming anyway, and also, eternal wands can be used by anyone, and thus become much more powerful in say, the hands of a familiar, or cohort.