PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Phantom Steed and Swamps

Dr. Cliché
2019-10-31, 05:29 AM
Regarding the Phantom Steed spell:

8th Level: The mount can ride over sandy, muddy, or even swampy ground without difficulty or decrease in speed.

My question is what this means for 'swampy ground', since a swamp is basically a body of shallow(ish) water.

Does the mount ride on the surface of the swamp? Does it ride through it (with the rider desperately hoping it doesn't get any deeper)? Or does this ability only work if the mount encounters a dry swamp?

Malphegor
2019-10-31, 05:34 AM
I think that means it rides on the surface of the swamp without being slowed down any. (which may not be a good thing in a swamp with low hanging vines clotheslining unwary travellers)

BWR
2019-10-31, 05:35 AM
We've ruled it that as long as the water isn't deep and big enough to actually swim in (even if you could drown in it), the PS moves over it.

Psyren
2019-10-31, 09:45 AM
My question is what this means for 'swampy ground', since a swamp is basically a body of shallow(ish) water.

It's not necessarily "water", it can be muck or a bog - solid enough that you don't plunge immediately or past a certain depth, but goopy enough that walking through it is a chore. D&D would consider actual water to not be "ground" at all.

Segev
2019-10-31, 09:48 AM
Yeah, as long as it qualifies as "swamp" and not "pond," the spell's conjured steed will run across it like it's solid ground. If the transition from "swamp" to "pond" or "lake" is not marked by a clear border, it might start to splash into the water like it's hitting a sloping shore into the lake.

NNescio
2019-10-31, 10:11 AM
Regarding the Phantom Steed spell:

8th Level: The mount can ride over sandy, muddy, or even swampy ground without difficulty or decrease in speed.

Does the mount ride on the surface of the swamp? Does it ride through it (with the rider desperately hoping it doesn't get any deeper)? Or does this ability only work if the mount encounters a dry swamp?

Here's how I rule: If you can walk (well, "trudge" or "shlepp", more like) across that region of swamp, you can ride the Steed across it. Doesn't matter how wet it is.

If you need to swim (or wade waist-deep), then no. You need CL 10 for the Water Walk option.

Palanan
2019-10-31, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Segev
Yeah, as long as it qualifies as "swamp" and not "pond," the spell's conjured steed will run across it like it's solid ground.

In fact, it’s easier to cross thick bog and goopy mud if you’re running instead of walking. I’ve seen booyah military types running straight across some very slurpy terrain, which I had to struggle through at a walking pace.