PDA

View Full Version : Spell Suggestions for a Sorcerer

Telonius
2019-10-31, 08:32 AM
Here's the situation: character just leveled up to Sorcerer5/Dracolexi10/Incantatrix2, and needs to pick an 8th-level spell. Necromancy spells are out of bounds (from Focused Studies). Notable houserule: metamagic does not take longer for spontaneous spells (so, for instance, Arcane Fusion doesn't do anything you can't already do with Quicken).

The player is generally casual and new-ish, so something like Shadow Evocation is going to overwhelm with too many options (and not enough system mastery to choose one quickly).

Others in the party include a Wizard, a BardBlade, a Cleric/Warlock (me), and a homebrewed Monk/Paladin replacement. Mid-op, so we're not breaking the universe in two with casting. (Dark Chaos is a no).

I don't want to just suggest something boring/direct damage like Sunburst or Polar Ray, but I'm not finding too many others that fit. Any suggestions?

Zaq
2019-10-31, 08:35 AM
What sorts of things are they already doing? Also, what metamagics do they have?

Telonius
2019-10-31, 08:48 AM
I'd have to look it up, but I believe she's got Extend, Heighten, Energy Substitution (Acid), and (possibly) Empower. (Not completely sure about that last one). I believe she has Quicken through a Rod. Also adding the "Burn" draconic word from Dracolexi when she can. She's had a lot of fun with Baleful Polymorph and Delayed Blast Fireball, but we've been going up against a lot of high-HD, Fort-heavy, and SR-Yes creatures.

Our BardBlade has a wounding sword, and she's been very interested in how quickly Con damage can stack up (especially on high-HD foes). If Greater Bestow Curse wasn't Necromancy, it would be right up her alley.

Gauntlet
2019-10-31, 09:11 AM
Dreaded Form of the Eye Tyrant does a lot of things and brings versatility, but doesn't go as deep down the rabbit hole as the Shadow lines.

Prismatic Bow is another option with a variety of offensive and utility options.

Otto's Irresistible Dance is a No Save Just Lose which is always a good option.

Greater Arcane Fusion does still let you get a quickened 4th and a 7th level spell for the cost of an 8th level slot, which isn't nothing.

You could also just take Greater Shadow Evocation and make a list of 3-5 go-to level 6-7 Evocations to use with it depending on circumstances. Prismatic Eye, Forcecage, Bigby's Grasping Hand and Howling Chain already cover most things you'd need from the spell, anyway.

Mike Miller
2019-10-31, 11:31 AM
Incendiary Cloud, Mind Blank, Telekinetic Sphere, Prismatic Wall, Field of Icy Razors, Superior Invisibility, Deadly Lahar, Wall of Greater Dispel Magic

Anthrowhale
2019-10-31, 01:10 PM
Incendiary Cloud, Mind Blank, Telekinetic Sphere, Prismatic Wall, Field of Icy Razors, Superior Invisibility, Deadly Lahar, Wall of Greater Dispel Magic

Veil of Undeath might also be a good choice in some circumstances.

I'd probably go with Greater Arcane Fusion first though.

nedz
2019-10-31, 02:20 PM
There are lots of good choices, but going with the Dracolexi theme:

Manifest Dragon Heritage, Greater (RotD) Creates a Dragon Turtle
Shout, Greater (PH p279)
Power Word Stun (PH p263)
Power Word Petrify (RotD)

Erik the Green
2019-11-03, 04:03 AM
Second Greater Arcane Fusion, the ol' Dimensional Anchor+Forcecage combo is the best known but far from only possibility
Polymorph Any Object, if your DM will actually let you use it, and you are willing to put in the effort to exploit it properly
Sunburst is a bit of a dark horse, no pun intended, but a decent choice for an I Am the Boomstick model sorcerer, especially if you like to have a solid option for getting icky undead right out of your face even when the cleric isn't around. And Positive Energy protection won't stop it, if you're up against a smart aleck deadbrain. Also, Blind isn't a bad debuff to hit an opposing caster with, and vs a Ref save is at least plausible.

Fizban
2019-11-03, 06:47 AM
There's something to be said for Greater Plane Shift, why take the expense and risk of Gate when you can just GPS? It's Cleric 7 though so chump choice.
-Ghostform was nerfed all the way up to 8th, but if you aren't playing with Greater Blink then it's still some serious defense and also move-through-walls-ense.
-Lightning Ring is just free damage every turn, though Stored Lightning Bolt (Secrets of Sarlona?) was more interesting at 7th being able to double-hit. As a duration spell, an Incantatrix has plenty of room to work their hax on it when they get that ability.
-Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death also gives some "spell" options, in addition to smashing (turns you into a Marut)- actually it's kinda hax, unless the polymorph subschool has a "buffs end" clause, 'cause you get a casting of Air Walk and True Seeing for each UFID.
-Chain Dispel is pretty huge, though it technically only works on creatures and an Incantatrix might just want to pick up the Chain feat.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-11-03, 02:08 PM
Summon Monster 8 gives access to a ridiculous list of SLAs.

Look for Summoners Handbook here on the forums.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-11-03, 03:25 PM
Summon Monster 8 gives access to a ridiculous list of SLAs.

Look for Summoners Handbook here on the forums.

That's a solid idea so I'll second it. But the handbook you're looking for isn't the summoner's handbook (that'll just get you the PF class.) What you want is the The summoner's desk reference. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5)

If that's too much, I'll also second mindblank if she doesn't have it already. Rock solid, all day defensive spell of the highest order.

Telonius
2019-11-04, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see what she thinks of Greater Arcane Fusion, and some of the others. (Unfortunately we're in Ravenloft, so Greater Plane Shift is not going to be an option).

ericgrau
2019-11-04, 10:09 AM
Just taking a quick look at core, due to limited time:

Prismatic wall is wonderful if he doesn't already have wall of force or another wall spell. Even with a weaker wall spell on his list the duration, strength and height is nice. Nothing like instantly dividing the encounter into two more easily manageable chunks.
Mind blank is easy to spam on the party for a sorcerer, but unless there is an immenent threat it wouldn't be my first choice.
Maze is great to auto remove any foe without SR. You need a 30 int just to have a 50:50 chance of making the check. Irresistible dance is similar, if the sorc isn't too squishy to get into melee.
Mass charm monster gives him an army of friends to take from fight to fight. Even with the save bonus in combat, one of them is likely to roll low.
Horrid Wilting seems mediocre for an 8th, until you notice there is a long range and no target limit other than "no two of which can be more than 60 ft. apart". AKA, every mook in the room simply dies. If he doesn't already have a nice chainable spell it's a thought.

I'd say prismatic wall > mass charm monster > maze/irresistible dance > horrid wilting > mind blank. With the caveat that if he already has wall of force that bumps prismatic wall down. And if he already has good, ally safe, chainable spells then that could bump down mass charm monster and horrid wilting. Ideally I'd pick up wall of force and then get mass charm monster as the 8th. Even if some foes are immune, the ability to bring allies from fight to fight with a duration of one day per caster level is way too powerful. I know it's not dominate, it only gives creatures that treat you as their trusted friend and ally. And they are unlikely to attack their old allies. But you can bring them to the next dungeon, cast on random encounters, or etc. He may also want to get tongues for communication, and ideally extend it with a lesser rod of extend spell.

Quertus
2019-11-05, 06:59 PM
She's had a lot of fun with Baleful Polymorph and Delayed Blast Fireball, but we've been going up against a lot of high-HD, Fort-heavy, and SR-Yes creatures.

Our BardBlade has a wounding sword, and she's been very interested in how quickly Con damage can stack up (especially on high-HD foes). If Greater Bestow Curse wasn't Necromancy, it would be right up her alley.

Mind Blank is probably the best 8th level spell. If she's had fun with Baleful Polymorph, then I'd suggest Polymorph any Object. Monster has SR? Don't target it. Who doesn't enjoy playing "the floor is lava"? :smallamused:

How is your GM on custom spells? If they've got 8th level spells, IMO they're long overdue to put their name on something - perhaps you can envision a custom non-Necromancy Con-damage spell for them?

Hmmm…

Pretend that their name is "Star".

Star's Slimy Blessing (Conjuration)
When cast on a willing recipient, Star's Slimy Blessing coats the creature and their gear in a thin layer of green slime, which is harmless to them. However, to any creature that they strike, or any creature that hits them with a natural attack, the slime deals 1 point of Constitution damage.

Would something like that fly?