PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.pf] Can you use UMD to emulate a class?

Kaiwen
2019-10-31, 05:38 PM
The Pathfinder item "Witching Gown" (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/r-z/witching-gown/) has special effects "when worn by a witch." Is it possible to emulate being a witch with UMD? It seems like it should be possible, given that you can emulate race, alignment, and class features.

If not, is there a way besides taking a level of witch to qualify for the purposes of this item?

Bronk
2019-10-31, 06:18 PM
You can in 3.5... there's an example of using a DC 40 UMD check to emulate an individual in Dragon 329 (page 67). If that individual is a witch, you'd be good to go.

Dimers
2019-10-31, 06:37 PM
I'd say that one Witch class feature is "able to use Witching Gown".

frogglesmash
2019-10-31, 07:07 PM

So a wizard with the pact archetype would count because it has a patron?

Dimers
2019-11-01, 10:32 AM
So a wizard with the pact archetype would count because it has a patron?

I don't see a connection between my statement and your question. Can you tell me your reasoning?

frogglesmash
2019-11-01, 12:37 PM
I don't see a connection between my statement and your question. Can you tell me your reasoning?

My bad, I misread your comment. I thought it said having one witch class feature was sufficient to qualify you for the gown.

heavyfuel
2019-11-01, 03:00 PM

I'd say a Witch's (or any class') class features are the ones mentioned on the Archetypes table or the class description, since these are the things explicitly called out as Class features

Using items isn't a class feature

Ramza00
2019-11-01, 03:18 PM
Can't speak for Pathfinder, but this is where one of the 3.5 rules broke down with UMD for it was not well thought out from a design perspective of being able to emulate class features via UMD and the pricing of items and so on.

UMD is often forgotten with items such as this.

Techwarrior
2019-11-02, 08:49 PM
Pathfinder has the specific use Emulate a Class Feature, with the same rule as 3.5. Your effective level for activating the item is your UMD check -20.

I've personally used this rule to activate a Holy Avenger and had a higher effective level on the dispel use of Holy Avenger than the 17 Paladin did. Was quite the encounter.