PDA

View Full Version : Choice Hard...Forum Help (warlock question)

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 09:52 AM
I'm building Warlocks.
I've got 3 that conceptually are built but I can't decide which I want to put into play. All three would be superfun for RP but I'm having a hard time deciding which of the three would be most effective.

THe quick and dirty of the 3,

Archfey/Tome/Thief build, skilled feat, utilitarian

Fiend/Chain/A Warforged who can't make decisions but his imp familiar helps.

Old One/Blade/Dwarf, tough, lots of HP, working towards heavy armor

At first glance, which of these three seems like it would be the most useful?

I'm happy to provide more info, I just didn't want to come at the board with three full character sheets on the first date, lol.

Mud Puppy
2019-11-01, 10:08 AM
I would go with either choice one or two.

But two sounds the most interesting to me...

FWIW

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 10:24 AM
But two sounds the most interesting to me...

FWIW

He's a Warforged Juggernaut, His quirk is that when confronted with a binary AorB type decision he locks up for a bit. He just cant decide.
A fiend thought he'd be a useful tool so offered him a way to overcome his problem in exchange for occasionally performing tasks for him.
The Warforged Agreed and got a shiny new Imp to make the hard choices for him.

Nidgit
2019-11-01, 10:30 AM
He's a Warforged Juggernaut, His quirk is that when confronted with a binary AorB type decision he locks up for a bit. He just cant decide.
A fiend thought he'd be a useful tool so offered him a way to overcome his problem in exchange for occasionally performing tasks for him.
This is definitely the most interesting rp-wise, at least on first impression. Might be a little obnoxious for your party occasionally, though.

PwrHngryTortois
2019-11-01, 10:37 AM

That's great, definitely play that!

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 10:41 AM
This is definitely the most interesting rp-wise, at least on first impression. Might be a little obnoxious for your party occasionally, though.

He follows orders like a Pro.
If they come to a fight and he cant decide which of the two ogres to engage, anyone at all could yell out "kill the one on the right!"
And he will.
So even if his imp is away, anyone can direct him, so he won't be super annoying unless the group forgets, lol.

Crgaston
2019-11-01, 10:52 AM
I like the sound of the Dwarven Goolock. The miner who awakened something in the depths... I'd love to play this. You could pull off the standard "dwarf in heavy armor with a big axe who fights" trope at first and just slowly let on to the party that something was up.

Starting with a level of fighter would get you that heavy armor, and set you up for HAM. People trash talk HAM, but on a Bladelock using Armor of Agathys, it can extend the life of your THP and subsequently the damage AoA deals.

But to directly answer your question, an Archfey Tomelock sounds the most useful.

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 11:08 AM
I like the sound of the Dwarven Goolock. The miner who awakened something in the depths... I'd love to play this. You could pull off the standard "dwarf in heavy armor with a big axe who fights" trope at first and just slowly let on to the party that something was up.

His Patron is The Terrasque.
It slumbers deep in the earth waiting to rise and destroy again.
He was mining, found it, and it touched his mind. His goal in this world is to awaken the Terrasque.
Its a beast too primal to make sense of or understand, he just knows he has to wake it. He's actually very friendly but tragically dumb. Think Woody Boyd from Cheers(if you're old enough). Loveable as can be but dumb as a rock. You'd never expect he was trying to end the world, but he's just out in there trying to find a way to wake his buddy Terry.

The Third is a Criminal background halfling burglar, was pulling a job, didn't realize he was robbing a fey. Got caught. While in his jail cell awaiting his hands removal, the Fey came to him, was impressed by his raw talent and offered him freedom and some new skills if he'd occasionally liberate an item or two for him from time to time. He's all about the utility stuff, his only E-blast mod will be repulsing blast so he can knock guards off of walls.

Warlush
2019-11-01, 11:10 AM
Archfey/Tome/Thief build, skilled feat, utilitarian

Fiend/Chain/A Warforged who can't make decisions but his imp familiar helps.

Old One/Blade/Dwarf, tough, lots of HP, working towards heavy armor

I would actually say that #1 would be the most optimized for it's job. With spell and invocation support you can be great at stealing stuff. Chain pact familiars are also really good at stealing stuff.

#3 would be a really fun way to tank. I'm very partial to GOO warlocks. I love telepathy. It's so rare in the game that there are hardly any defenses against it.

I'd go with #3. It's unique (ie, not a Hexblade), it's good at what it does without being annoyingly OP or munchkiny, it still has a fair amount of non combat utility and it would be really fun to role play a Dwarf Warlock of a GOO.

MrStabby
2019-11-01, 11:23 AM

The warforged just couldn't decide whether to a) take the fiend's offer, or b) tell the fiend to go back to hell?

CheddarChampion
2019-11-01, 11:28 AM
I imagine a warforged juggernaut would want to fight in melee, but pact of the chain doesn't help with that...
Wonderful RP. Less effective in combat.

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 11:32 AM
I imagine a warforged juggernaut would want to fight in melee, but pact of the chain doesn't help with that...
Wonderful RP. Less effective in combat.

With him I figured battles would be a lot of the imp directing and spitting fire, but yeah, not terribly combat useful.

Stone-Ears
2019-11-01, 11:34 AM
The first one is the most useful overall your EB with Repelling will be more than enough for your combat needs

The 2nd one is the best RP but how useful that character will be is in question

The 3rd one is probably the only one I wouldn't play.

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 11:34 AM
The warforged just couldn't decide whether to a) take the fiend's offer, or b) tell the fiend to go back to hell?

The imp helped him decide.
Fiend:"Metal Man, Will you accept my offer or will you reject my generosity?"

Me: "Uhhhhhhhhhh....."

Imp: You should agree

Me: Ok, sounds good.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-01, 11:43 AM
The imp helped him decide.
Fiend:"Metal Man, Will you accept my offer or will you reject my generosity?"

Me: "Uhhhhhhhhhh....."

Imp: You should agree

Me: Ok, sounds good.

Ha! This made my afternoon!

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 12:14 PM
Chain pact familiars are also really good at stealing stuff.

I'd considered that but decided that a Tome pact could take the Book of Ancient Secrets and get the regular find familiar spell. Not as good as the Chain pact familiar but still useful for similar reasons.