PDA

View Full Version : D&D Character Builder

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 10:11 AM
I'm looking for a decent Character builder so I can have digital copies of my characters.
D&D beyond is out of my price range right now.

Any suggestions on a freebie?

Khedrac
2019-11-01, 11:01 AM
I'm looking for a decent Character builder so I can have digital copies of my characters.

Critical question - for which version of D&D do you want this? (It might be best to ask the the relevant sub-forum.)

Thinker
2019-11-01, 11:21 AM
Assuming for DnD 5e since you mentioned Beyond.

Here is a Reddit thread for an offline character builder: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/6e8qw7/i_made_a_character_builder_with_an_editor/

Here is an online character builder for 5e: https://www.orcpub2.com/pages/dnd/5e/character-builder

They're both free. Both appear limited to only SRD material, but have ways you can add your own content, which can be used to add material from official sourcebooks, third-party content, or homebrew.

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 11:43 AM
Critical question - for which version of D&D do you want this? (It might be best to ask the the relevant sub-forum.)

5th edition

Arkhios
2019-11-01, 06:23 PM
It's both against the forum rules and illegal to advertise illegal "freebies". Fortunately, I don't think there is any.

Chalkarts
2019-11-01, 06:53 PM
It's both against the forum rules and illegal to advertise illegal "freebies". Fortunately, I don't think there is any.

My apologies.

CheddarChampion
2019-11-01, 08:55 PM
If you know what you want to take you can list it all in an Excel file, broken into what you get at each level.

I thought this only applied to IP, like copies of books/PDF's? I need to reread the rules.
In any case, if a website copies the coding/script for DnDBeyond's char builder, it is against the rules and morally wrong IMO.

Yunru
2019-11-01, 09:28 PM
MPMB's character sheets (https://www.reddit.com/r/mpmb/comments/91uxno/sheet_downloads_faq/) have everything you could want.
Or at least, they have everything they can legally include, and a completely open system that allows you to add any homebrew you want which you really shouldn't use to add the rest of the content back in even if someone else went through the effort to compile it.

Aussiehams
2019-11-01, 11:05 PM

D&D beyond is free for 6 characters.

FabulousFizban
2019-11-01, 11:41 PM
i use fight club 5e. their is a link to a dropbox file you have to put into it. Once you do though, it's amazing. Fantastic character builder.

ShadowSandbag
2019-11-02, 12:11 AM
If you set up a roll 20 game, you can make as many characters as you want in it. It only as the SRD stuff built in, but even if you are using stuff from your own books its easy to type in and the sheet still does all the math for you.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-02, 02:17 AM
If you set up a roll 20 game, you can make as many characters as you want in it. It only as the SRD stuff built in, but even if you are using stuff from your own books its easy to type in and the sheet still does all the math for you.

Second this, even when I play non Roll 20 games I use a Roll20 sheet to track my characters. Beyond's action tracking seems nice but too cluttered to me. I just add more of the small boxes onto the right of the OGL sheet, use 1 and 0 to track single use abilities (Second Wind etc.).

D+1
2019-11-02, 10:47 AM
D&D beyond is free for 6 characters.
With limited content from the PH, yes. You have to purchase the digital copy of any book (including the PH) to have its content available in the builder. So, for actual practical use as even just a PH-only character builder, not free. Unless they changed that in the last year or so.