PDA

View Full Version : Understanding a Nostradamus?

doliest
2007-10-17, 10:49 PM
Ok in Nostradamuses 5th century book, 27th quantraine, here is what is written.

Through the fifth one and a great Hercules
They will come to open the temple by hand of war:
One Clement, Julius and Ascanius set back,
The sword, key, eagle, never was there such a great animosity

Ok, first line- Fifth one and a great hercules, I think this could mean 51st US president, since america is basically the Hercules of the world.
Line two makes no since-
Line Three-Clement could have many meanings, julius could mean juluis ceaser, & Ascanius is ironiacilly a person in greek myth that whos name means julus, and julius claimed to be related to.
Four-Sword & Key make no sense, but eagle could mean the US, and animosity obviously means if sword and key mean countrys, it means alienation could happen. Can any countrys be related to a sword or key?

Okay, so what do yal' think?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 10:58 PM
If I recall correctly, if anything, Nostradamus was writing about his own times. They have been applied to contemporary times over and over and over again since he first wrote them down. The probability of any of his writings being applicable now, even if Nosey could truly fortell the future, is extraordinarily low. Not convinced.

(for the record, though, I should read 'em sometime. sounds interesting, at least)

doliest
2007-10-17, 10:59 PM
I actually don't believe in this stuff, just felt like testing my metal to try to make it sound like it makes since.

StickMan
2007-10-17, 11:01 PM
Ok in Nostradamuses 5th century book, 27th quantraine, here is what is written.

Through the fifth one and a great Hercules
They will come to open the temple by hand of war:
One Clement, Julius and Ascanius set back,
The sword, key, eagle, never was there such a great animosity

Ok, first line- Fifth one and a great hercules, I think this could mean 51st US president, since america is basically the Hercules of the world.
Line two makes no since-
Line Three-Clement could have many meanings, julius could mean juluis ceaser, & Ascanius is ironiacilly a person in greek myth that whos name means julus, and julius claimed to be related to.
Four-Sword & Key make no sense, but eagle could mean the US, and animosity obviously means if sword and key mean countrys, it means alienation could happen. Can any countrys be related to a sword or key?

Okay, so what do yal' think?

Well first off I think you can stop after your first theory, mainly cause acording to Nostradamus we don't have time to get to pres 51, end of the world should happen with in oh 6 years give or take. Seeing as how we are on 43 I don't think we are going to hit 51 before then.

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 11:01 PM
Hypothetical and possibly cynical attempt to apply dubious logic to a ridiculous text?
Awesome.

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:02 PM
Well first off I think you can stop after your first theory, mainly cause acording to Nostradamus we don't have time to get to pres 51, end of the world should happen with in oh 6 years give or take. Seeing as how we are on 43 I don't think we are going to hit 51 before then.

Nosey(Love the name serpentine) contradicts himself.....alot.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-17, 11:02 PM

Unless the assassins begin assassinating....

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:06 PM
Oh, just pointing out before I forget, we gotta make sure we don't seep into religon or politics, 'k.

The Great Skenardo
2007-10-17, 11:09 PM
Actually, I think this refers to the legendary 5th Beatle. You could truly say that the Beatles were Herculean icons of the British rock and roll culture, and the fifth one is clearly a reference to guitarist Pete Best, who performed with the Beatles back when they were the Quarrymen.

"Opening the temple by hand of war" is also fairly straightforward; The Beatles performed only a few songs with an anti-war message, but some of these coincided with the release of other more transcendental works. For example, Revolution came out just a few short years before some of the Beatles' more bizarre musical musings, such as Glass Onion. Clearly the implication is that the war message was the gateway by which the temple was opened to new and sinister prophecies and philosophies of the drug culture of the 70's.

"One Clement, Julius and Ascanius set back." As Doliest noted, these are historical figures in Greek and Roman history and mythology. It is well-known that Pete Best received terrible marks in history class, and that his academic failures were what prompted him to quit the band to focus on his studies. In this sense, the three historical Greeks and Romans could be said to have set the musician back, even from beyond the grave.

"The Sword, Key, Eagle...Never was there such animosity"
This line is a little more obtuse, but it becomes much more clear when you recall that the Beatles eventually received peerage from the Queen of England for services rendered to the crown. The Ceremonial sword using in the knighting ceremony, coupled with Extensive tours in the United States (the eagle, as Dolies noted) together form the timeframe in which the unmatched animosity was realized. The "key" to this was Yoko Ono, of course.

Bottom line? Nostradamus foresaw the formation and breakup of the Beatles. One can only imagine the solitary tears that mad russian seer cried each time he saw Pete Best put up his guitar and saw the group split up, powerless to do anything but observe and record...

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:16 PM
Actually, I think this refers to the legendary 5th Beatle. You could truly say that the Beatles were Herculean icons of the British rock and roll culture, and the fifth one is clearly a reference to guitarist Pete Best, who performed with the Beatles back when they were the Quarrymen.

"Opening the temple by hand of war" is also fairly straightforward; The Beatles performed only a few songs with an anti-war message, but some of these coincided with the release of other more transcendental works. For example, Revolution came out just a few short years before some of the Beatles' more bizarre musical musings, such as Glass Onion. Clearly the implication is that the war message was the gateway by which the temple was opened to new and sinister prophecies and philosophies of the drug culture of the 70's.

"One Clement, Julius and Ascanius set back." As Doliest noted, these are historical figures in Greek and Roman history and mythology. It is well-known that Pete Best received terrible marks in history class, and that his academic failures were what prompted him to quit the band to focus on his studies. In this sense, the three historical Greeks and Romans could be said to have set the musician back, even from beyond the grave.

"The Sword, Key, Eagle...Never was there such animosity"
This line is a little more obtuse, but it becomes much more clear when you recall that the Beatles eventually received peerage from the Queen of England for services rendered to the crown. The Ceremonial sword using in the knighting ceremony, coupled with Extensive tours in the United States (the eagle, as Dolies noted) together form the timeframe in which the unmatched animosity was realized. The "key" to this was Yoko Ono, of course.

Bottom line? Nostradamus foresaw the formation and breakup of the Beatles. One can only imagine the solitary tears that mad russian seer cried each time he saw Pete Best put up his guitar and saw the group split up, powerless to do anything but observe and record...
No, that can't be true, because if thats what nosey saw, he would have made it clearer, so that would NEVER happen.:smallwink:

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:22 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I had an idea, what if we use this thread to actaully figure out the REAL meaning of these things, I mean 3rd world wars?Nazis? Thats not important, music & fashions are what they must ALL predict, (this isn't sarcasm, I mean it.)

Technatrix
2007-10-17, 11:30 PM
Well, I think it's only fair to point out that for a guy who claims to have based all his work on astrology, Nostradamus was a really crappy astrologer himself. He used astrological tables already published by other astrologers of the time and surviving documents indicate that he made a multitude of copy errors while doing so, so many of the calculations in his charts are terribly inaccurate even for the time period. And many of his prophecies are near word-for-word copies of other people's work, including a good bit of classical literature by such people as Livy and Plutarch, rearranged slightly. The ones that appear to be original are made purposefully vague so he wouldn't have the authorities of the time breathing down his neck. So, at worst, he's a plagiarist phony trying to hoodwink the masses, and at best he's a slightly incompetent astrologer trying to get his info out there without getting killed for it. Which doesn't mean he didn't know something, just that maybe we should take what he says with a grain of salt.

Plus, the quatrains are terribly generalized and vague. Most of them could refer to things that happened somewhere in the world anywhere from yesterday to a thousand years ago.

Rogue 7
2007-10-17, 11:34 PM
I recall an awesome article in the awesome magazine Muse about the end of the world. It had a timeline of when different people had predicted the end of the world. Ol' Mr. N was on it at *least* 10 times, in the most random places. They continued the timeline over a few extra pages, with nothing on them but 3774- Nostradamus(Again), several times over. Utterly hilarious.

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:37 PM
Well, I think it's only fair to point out that for a guy who claims to have based all his work on astrology, Nostradamus was a really crappy astrologer himself. He used astrological tables already published by other astrologers of the time and surviving documents indicate that he made a multitude of copy errors while doing so, so many of the calculations in his charts are terribly inaccurate even for the time period. And many of his prophecies are near word-for-word copies of other people's work, including a good bit of classical literature by such people as Livy and Plutarch, rearranged slightly. The ones that appear to be original are made purposefully vague so he wouldn't have the authorities of the time breathing down his neck. So, at worst, he's a plagiarist phony trying to hoodwink the masses, and at best he's a slightly incompetent astrologer trying to get his info out there without getting killed for it. Which doesn't mean he didn't know something, just that maybe we should take what he says with a grain of salt.

Plus, the quatrains are terribly generalized and vague. Most of them could refer to things that happened somewhere in the world anywhere from yesterday to a thousand years ago.

Maybe, but he is well known today, and that could be exploited for laughs and to depress others, we could laugh by taking ones talking about a third world war, and make it about fashion, simply by inferincing differently, or depress like I was pointing out in the earlier post.

Technatrix
2007-10-17, 11:43 PM
Maybe, but he is well known today, and that could be exploited for laughs and to depress others, we could laugh by taking ones talking about a third world war, and make it about fashion, simply by inferincing differently, or depress like I was pointing out in the earlier post.

True, but as an astrologer myself I felt I had to insert that little disclaimer, so hopefully the common sense will spread and I won't have people running into my store demanding to know what day the world is going to end so they know whether to bother filing their taxes or not. :smallwink:

doliest
2007-10-17, 11:44 PM
True, but as an astrologer myself I felt I had to insert that little disclaimer, so hopefully the common sense will spread and I won't have people running into my store demanding to know what day the world is going to end so they know whether to bother filing their taxes or not. :smallwink:

Eh, not my problem, in fact that would make me money, defense attorneys still get highered for cases involving white-collared crimes.:smallwink: