PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gestalt Help

Balladeer
2019-11-02, 12:52 PM
I need some advice! I'm starting as a player in a Gestalt character in an Eberron conversion intrigue game set in Sharn (there are TWO players).

Character parameters are:

90 points for stats (crazy, I know)

Starting at 5th level

one side of the Gestalt must be some form of Vigilante (3rd party is okay, and DM has provided Legendary Games splatbooks)

cannot be evil

the other player has made a Teisatsu Vigilante/Warpriest

both of us were hoping to get swift action self-healing (but is it necessary?)

I feel that one us should be full BAB (again, is that necessary?)

I think we need some arcane support

Still need lots of skills covered, since the other character has a 10 int with few social skills

So far, I'm looking at some combination of Paladin, Avenger Vigilante, Noble Soul Vigilante, Magus, Wizard, or Talented Tactician Vigilante. Thoughts?

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-11-02, 03:06 PM
A Magical Child Vigilante//Chosen One Paladin has some fun flavor overlap, as well as getting the Summoner and Paladin spell lists, Full BAB, and a familiar or two depending on how your DM rules that. Make it a Sage and you have knowledge skills covered in addition to your natural Face role.

Coventry
2019-11-03, 12:35 AM
Since it looks like you want a gish-like character, maybe consider an Vigilante (Avenger)/Investigator(Questioner Archetype)?

The Avenger has full BAB and gives out combat boosts at about the same rate as a fighter gets feats, while the investigator has the skills and spellcasting of a bard.

As an Investigator, talents such as Quick Study (use a swift action to gain an insight bonus to hit and damage against a studied opponent) improve combat above what a pure fighter can do. You do not have to convert that to a studied strike if you do not want to, so you can keep the bonus to hit for as long as your INT bonus allows.

Expanded Inspiration grants an effective +3.5 to the most-used skill in the game (perception) to start ... and it only gets better as you add Amazing Inspiration at level 7 and Tenacious Inspiration at level 13). And there is Combat Inspiration, which you do not have to use, but may find useful. If you can acquire a Lepidstadt Investigator's hat, it gets stronger if you can successfully use the appropriate one of the five of the "identify creature" knowledge skills (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature, Planes, Religion).

The Bard casting list includes gems like Mirror Image and Haste (at level 7); those two never go out of style. Also, since Cure Light Wounds is on the spell list, this character can use wands of CLW without needing to worry about Use Magic Device. Oh, and your spellcasting is INT based, so every point you put in does triple duty in spellcasting, skill points available, and studied combat bonuses,

If you go the "2 handed weapon, power attack, furious focus" route, you get every feat you need from Avenger talents by level 6, without needing to spend a single standard feat. The Investigator does not need to invest standard feats, either, so you will have a lot of flexibility in how to spend them. Heck, you could coordinate Teamwork feats with your buddy (who might not have such an easy time fitting them into his build).

I feel compelled to mention that this gestalt and your buddy's will probably feel the pain of not having mobility spells like fly and teleport.

Jack_Simth
2019-11-03, 10:31 AM
As a two-character party, durability is a problem - you have more insulation against blown saves in a 4 person party than you do in a 2-person party. You'll want to have very good defenses.

Legendary Vigilantes (or was it 2?) has a paladin-themed archetype, as I recall, that'll let you get full BAB and Cha to saves (or healing and Charisma to saves). You may want that.

If you want Arcane Support, that combines well with, say, a Sorcerer.

As to full BAB:
Whether or not this is needed depends on your ability to get meatshields that aren't you. While I wouldn't normally recommend this (lots of optimization), (Communal) Mount, Heighten Spell, and Substitute Summoned Monster combine very well to cover this.

AlienFromBeyond
2019-11-03, 02:11 PM
Legendary Vigilantes (or was it 2?) has a paladin-themed archetype, as I recall, that'll let you get full BAB and Cha to saves (or healing and Charisma to saves).

As to full BAB:
Whether or not this is needed depends on your ability to get meatshields that aren't you. While I wouldn't normally recommend this (lots of optimization), (Communal) Mount, Heighten Spell, and Substitute Summoned Monster combine very well to cover this.
Note that the same book has a feat to use Int or Wis for all vigilante class features, so don't feel restricted to just another Cha based class for the other side of the gestalt.

I will second that you should consider minionmancy, it's normally frowned upon but with only two bodies on the field unless the GM is having you fight very small numbers as well you can easily get overwhelmed.