PDA

View Full Version : Advice for kensai swordsman

Slayer Lord
2019-11-03, 12:22 AM
I'm just getting into 5e and would like some advice on fleshing out a character concept from folks with more experience.

I've been wanting to play a swordsman-type character, in the style of the samurai and ronin from Akira Kurosawa's films, like 7 Samurai or Yojimbo. Kensai monk seems to fit the bill for me- no armor, extreme focus on the art of the blade- but I'm a little unclear on the multiclassing aspect. Samurai fits thematically and has some nice synergy, while the Battlemaster's maneuvers could fit with the idea of the swordman's knowledge of various techniques and tactical skills. Or would I be better off with a straight Kensai?

Thanks in advance.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-03, 12:56 AM
I'm just getting into 5e and would like some advice on fleshing out a character concept from folks with more experience.

I've been wanting to play a swordsman-type character, in the style of the samurai and ronin from Akira Kurosawa's films, like 7 Samurai or Yojimbo. Kensai monk seems to fit the bill for me- no armor, extreme focus on the art of the blade- but I'm a little unclear on the multiclassing aspect. Samurai fits thematically and has some nice synergy, while the Battlemaster's maneuvers could fit with the idea of the swordman's knowledge of various techniques and tactical skills. Or would I be better off with a straight Kensai?

Thanks in advance.

Samurai is great but it's main feature is bonus action dependent, Monks already have enough to do with their bonus. Battle Master would serve you better I think, allowing you to mechanically pull off a lot of cool moves from movies (like a long draw slice across multiple enemies). Straight Kensai isn't a bad option either, when you multiclass you reduce your potential Ki points.

What level would oyu be starting at and do you expect to go to?

Slayer Lord
2019-11-03, 02:00 AM
What level would oyu be starting at and do you expect to go to?

My usual group tends to start around level 5 and rarely gets past 8. Though I'm planning to start with a new group soon, so it's hard to say how that might change at this point.

Dork_Forge
2019-11-03, 02:05 AM
My usual group tends to start around level 5 and rarely gets past 8. Though I'm planning to start with a new group soon, so it's hard to say how that might change at this point.

If you're starting at 5th then I'd say go full Kensei so you don't fall behind with Extra Attack and multiclass into Fighter from there (if you choose to multiclass). Kensei weapon wise the Longbow makes the most sense for a ranged option and the longsword offers early access to a D10 damage. Personally I like using a Rapier/Scimitar with the Dueling fighting style, it being a Finesse weapon opens up more options down the line (Rogue dips, Defensive Duelist).