PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to snipe with spells?

SangoProduction
2019-11-04, 01:31 AM
Sniping is defined under Stealth (for pathfinder) as being taking a ranged attack, and then hiding immediately.

This is less than useful for the stereotypical Rogue, as they benefit mostly from multiple attacks, so having only 1 a round is less than optimal. And non-stealth classes tend to not have the capacity to snipe, with it being a -20 penalty and all...even if they wanted to.

But spellcasters don't get multiple attacks, and get their full benefit from just taking a single standard action........OK. I...Dur. Obviously, you just use your move action to hide immediately after casting the spell, and don't even worry about the sniping thing. Right? What's the point of sniping? And does this not just do the same thing?

I guess for an extreme example, a rogue might want to move, and then attack, while going back in to stealth. So effectively like a heavily penalized/limited ranged Spring Attack.

RatElemental
2019-11-04, 02:43 AM
I believe even a spellcaster would have to make a stealth check in order to attack unnoticed, but you could duck behind cover either way.

(As a side note, gunslingers are another class able to benefit from the sniping rules without giving up most of their damage output)

NNescio
2019-11-04, 02:58 AM
It's useful for stealth-oriented enemies who harry PCs to attrit party resources and to draw them into traps and ambushes.

PCs can make use of the same tactic, and it can be quite effective, but it tends to be very... boring, because you draw out combat over a long period of time while your non-stealthy compatriots get to nothing but twiddle their thumbs waiting for you to do your thing. Plus you usually need to scout out the area first, spending more time in the process.

Though I guess classes with a single powerful attack can snipe without losing too much DPR while their teammates just fight as usual, but "single powerful attack" and "stealth" usually don't go hand-in-hand, as you noted (barring the use of consumables like poisons).

DarkSoul
2019-11-04, 09:39 AM
Spellwarp...Sniper?

Seriously though, sniping really doesn't do a spellcaster any good unless they've got something that triggers on Dex-denied targets. Touch AC is generally pretty terrible so there's not usually a problem hitting it.

Can they snipe with spells? Yes. Is there a reason to? Not usually.

Psyren
2019-11-04, 09:51 AM
With the snipe action, not really - but if you're looking for ways to cast attack spells while maintaining total cover/concealment, or ways to hide the fact that you were the source of a specific spell, then there are several.

Mister Rex
2019-11-04, 09:05 PM
With the snipe action no, but just taking a move action to stealth should be fine afterwards?