PDA

View Full Version : Great Old One, Thought Shield, Elder Brains

Warlush
2019-11-04, 12:24 PM
So as we all know, the GOOlock's 10th level Otherworldly Patron Feature "Thought Shield" states,
"...your thoughts can't be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage you do."

The Elder Brain's "Creature Sense" says,
"The Elder Brain is aware of the presence of creatures within 5 miles of it that have an Intelligence score of 4 or higher... A creature protected by a Mind Blank spell, a Nondetection spell, or similar magic can't be percived in this way."

My question is, has JC or any other authorities stated whether or not Thought Shield is "similar" enough magic?

GorogIrongut
2019-11-04, 12:26 PM
Not sure if any definitive responses have been made to your question. That said, as a DM I would allow it. GOOlocks can have it rough and anytime one of their abilities can come into effect, I would have little hesitation choosing the option that benefits the GOOlock.

Warlush
2019-11-04, 12:35 PM
Not sure if any definitive responses have been made to your question. That said, as a DM I would allow it. GOOlocks can have it rough and anytime one of their abilities can come into effect, I would have little hesitation choosing the option that benefits the GOOlock.

You're my dream DM! 😍😍😍

Undyne
2019-11-04, 01:02 PM
So as we all know, the GOOlock's 10th level Otherworldly Patron Feature "Thought Shield" states,
"...your thoughts can't be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage you do."

The Elder Brain's "Creature Sense" says,
"The Elder Brain is aware of the presence of creatures within 5 miles of it that have an Intelligence score of 4 or higher... A creature protected by a Mind Blank spell, a Nondetection spell, or similar magic can't be percived in this way."

My question is, has JC or any other authorities stated whether or not Thought Shield is "similar" enough magic?

Rules as written? No, but it does stop an Elder Brain from listening to your telepathic conversations. Creature Sense isn't reading your mind- It just tells the elder brain an intelligent creature is within its radius. But if you roll terrible on your intelligence, then you'd be safe.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-11-04, 01:25 PM
This is very DM dependent, I'd rule that thought shield was similar magic.

Magicspook
2019-11-04, 04:13 PM
I mean, it's literally called 'thought shield'... I don't know why any DM wouldn't allow it. It gives no numerical advantage and opens up a bunch of awesome subterfuge/roleplay options. So yeah, I'm on team yay.

Theaitetos
2019-11-04, 04:23 PM
Thought Shield is pretty much Mind Blank lite, so I'd say it's "similar magic".

Chronos
2019-11-05, 08:46 AM
If the Elder Brain ability didn't specify "...or similar magic", I'd say no.

But while Thought Shield might not be the same thing as Mind Blank, it is similar. It's less powerful than Mind Blank, but then again, Nondetection is also less powerful than Mind Blank, and it still works. So, sure.

ShikomeKidoMi
2019-11-06, 01:45 AM
Yeah, ditto. It's clearly not an exclusive case or it wouldn't say that at the end.

Admittedly, that's not going to help the other people in your party, but that's their problem.