PDA

View Full Version : Abjuration Spell Help....

Nefariis
2019-11-04, 02:03 PM
My Paladin wanted something that can help someone at the cost of his life.

So I wanted your guys' opinion on if this appears to be a first level spell or not.

Angel's Grace
1 Reaction
1st level Abjuration
Paladin
V,S,C (dove's feather)

One piercing angelic note sound and gold radiates from the caster's hands.

If a willing creature you see within range would be reduced to less than 1 hit point - you, as the caster, instead take half the damage rounded down as an immediate interrupt.

Thoughts? and thank you as always.

BruceLeeroy
2019-11-04, 02:12 PM
I would model it after Warding Bond, which is a 2nd level cleric spell, with a mix of the Shield spell. So, as a reaction, grants resistance to damage on one target within 60', along with +1 to Ac and Saves, caster takes same damage as target, effect lasts until the start of the caster's turn.

Should prevent a single attack from dropping someone to zero, has a *small* chance of causing the attack to miss or the save to succeed, similar to how shield can be used on an attack after you see the roll.

I wouldn't rate it as a great 1st level spell, but thematic and still pretty useful. Hmm, on second thought, it's practically Absorb Elements that you can cast on someone else, and that spell is considered a must-have. So this might be a little OP, I'd say it depends on the optimization level at your table.

Edit: On third thought, i suggest having it apply to a single attack or effect requiring a save, like Absorb Elements, rather than lasting until the start of the caster's turn like Shield.

JackPhoenix
2019-11-04, 02:19 PM
All right... Warding Bond is level 2 spell that works similarily. You get extra +1 to AC and saves, and it'll last for an hour, until the caster drops to 0 hp, or until the caster and the target are more than 60' apart.

Your version is fine as level 1 spell, however, you haven't listed the spell's range. Also, immediate interrupt doesn't mean anything in 5e.

Edit: it's not really comparable to Absorb Element, as the final damage is the same, only divided between two creatures, and it's usable only if it would drop the target. In case of an AoE that hits both, it would make the caster take 150% damage and the target 50% of damage.

PwrHngryTortois
2019-11-04, 02:24 PM
My Paladin wanted something that can help someone at the cost of his life.

So I wanted your guys' opinion on if this appears to be a first level spell or not.

Angel's Grace
1 Reaction
1st level Abjuration
Paladin
V,S,C (dove's feather)

One piercing angelic note sound and gold radiates from the caster's hands.

If a willing creature you see within range would be reduced to less than 1 hit point - you, as the caster, instead take half the damage rounded down as an immediate interrupt.

Thoughts? and thank you as always.

Sounds like instead of making a spell, the paladin should just play an Oath of the Crown Paladin. You get "Divine Allegiance
Starting at 7th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to magically substitute your own health for that of the target creature, causing that creature not to take the damage. Instead, you take the damage. This damage to you can't be reduced or prevented in any way." and Warding Bond which reads:

Warding Bond
2 abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V S M (A pair of platinum rings worth at least 50 gp each, which you and the target must wear for the duration)
Duration: 1 hour
Classes: Cleric
This spell wards a willing creature you touch and creates a mystic connection between you and the target until the spell ends. While the target is within 60 feet of you, it gains a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws, and it has resistance to all damage. Also, each time it takes damage, you take the same amount of damage.
The spell ends if you drop to 0 hit points or if you and the target become separated by more than 60 feet. It also ends if the spell is cast again on either of the connected creatures. You can also dismiss the spell as an action."

These together are both doing what the spell is trying to do, but better, and they're official content. If you want to keep the spell instead, I think you would have to take the full damage from the attack to make it fair, otherwise you're just lowering the damage your opponent is dishing out and you'd have to raise the spell level.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-04, 02:39 PM
Sounds like instead of making a spell, the paladin should just play an Oath of the Crown Paladin. You get "Divine Allegiance
Starting at 7th level, when a creature within 5 feet of you takes damage, you can use your reaction to magically substitute your own health for that of the target creature, causing that creature not to take the damage. Instead, you take the damage. This damage to you can't be reduced or prevented in any way." and Warding Bond which reads:

Warding Bond
2 abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V S M (A pair of platinum rings worth at least 50 gp each, which you and the target must wear for the duration)
Duration: 1 hour
Classes: Cleric
This spell wards a willing creature you touch and creates a mystic connection between you and the target until the spell ends. While the target is within 60 feet of you, it gains a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws, and it has resistance to all damage. Also, each time it takes damage, you take the same amount of damage.
The spell ends if you drop to 0 hit points or if you and the target become separated by more than 60 feet. It also ends if the spell is cast again on either of the connected creatures. You can also dismiss the spell as an action."

These together are both doing what the spell is trying to do, but better, and they're official content. If you want to keep the spell instead, I think you would have to take the full damage from the attack to make it fair, otherwise you're just lowering the damage your opponent is dishing out and you'd have to raise the spell level.

Everything said above is perfect oath of the crown is king at letting your allies play recklessly and still pump out damage to boot.

Nefariis
2019-11-04, 03:29 PM
Sorry, the range is 30ft.

He still have has another level before he gets level 2 spell slots (multiclass) so I was trying to give him a first level spell in the meantime.

What about this tweak -

Angel's Grace
1 Reaction
30 feet
1st level Abjuration
Paladin
V,S,C (dove's feather)

If a willing creature you see within range would be reduced to less than 1 hit point, the creature is instead reduced to 1 hp.

Then you, as the caster, take the remaining damage.

Teaguethebean
2019-11-05, 09:59 AM
Angel's Grace
1 Reaction
30 feet
1st level Abjuration
Paladin
V,S,C (dove's feather)

If a willing creature you see within range would be reduced to less than 1 hit point, the creature is instead reduced to 1 hp.

Then you, as the caster, take the remaining damage.

Honestly seems fine enemies with multi attack would still be able to finish off an ally.