PDA

View Full Version : Rule for Magic Weapon Bound as a Pact Weapon

Skylivedk
2019-11-04, 05:55 PM
Since most people seem to agree that you cannot change shape of your Pact Weapon (and please presume in this case that this is the given DM's point of view), would you also say the rule of the weapon disappearing if it's more than 5 from you for more than a minute is only considered to work for the summoned and not bound weapon?

In other words, if you bind a magic weapon, can you leave it somewhere for a while and summon several days or weeks later?

You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your
empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee
weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for
weapon options). You are proficient with it while you
wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose
of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical
attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet
away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears
if you use this feature again, if you dism iss the w eapon
(no action required), or if you die.
You can transform one magic weapon into your pact
weapon by perform ing a special ritual while you hold
the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course
of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest.
You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an
extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you
create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an
artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon
ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform
the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use
a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon
appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space
when the bond breaks.

Mr Adventurer
2019-11-04, 07:07 PM
It says it's transformed into your pact weapon, so I'd say it retains the normal qualities of pact weapons as described.

Edit: people say you can't change it's form? But it's right there in the text you quoted that you can?

greenstone
2019-11-04, 08:31 PM
The first two paragraphs stand together, the third stands alone.

In other words, you can create a weapon (paragraphs 1 and 2) -or- bind an existing magic weapon (paragraph 3).

Also, you can't summon your pact weapon from somewhere else. That is an Eldritch Knight feature. If you have left your Warlock pact magic weapon in the last town, it stays in the last town until you travel there and pick it up. The sentence in paragraph 3 only applies if you have shunted the magic item into an extradimensional space.

Chronos
2019-11-05, 08:35 AM
And if you bind an existing weapon, then that's the weapon you create. You're still creating the weapon, because that's what the rules say you're doing with it.

NaughtyTiger
2019-11-05, 08:47 AM
From para 3 about a magic weapon bound as pact weapon.

You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter.
it explicitly states you can shunt and summon, there are no limits are where you can shunt and summon.
i interpreted it as it would disappear if more than 5ft away.

people say you can't change it's form? But it's right there in the text you quoted that you can?

yes, several of us interpret the magic weapon pact weapon cannot change form. for me, the text "it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter" mean it the magic weapon in that form is what will appear.
otherwise, the entire sentence quoted above has no meaning.
also, it prevents flame blade longbow.

that said, a changing weapon is a reasonable interpretation.

Mr Adventurer
2019-11-05, 09:00 AM
I suppose in the case of an enchantment that doesn't apply to a kind of weapon, I would rule that the enchantment doesn't apply if you make your pact blade that kind of weapon.

Skylivedk
2019-11-05, 09:49 AM
The first two paragraphs stand together, the third stands alone.

In other words, you can create a weapon (paragraphs 1 and 2) -or- bind an existing magic weapon (paragraph 3).

Also, you can't summon your pact weapon from somewhere else. That is an Eldritch Knight feature. If you have left your Warlock pact magic weapon in the last town, it stays in the last town until you travel there and pick it up. The sentence in paragraph 3 only applies if you have shunted the magic item into an extradimensional space.

If we go by your premise, which I believe my DM does, then my understanding is that I can shunt the bonded weapon into the extradimensional space. It it ALSO means IMI (in my interpretation) that if §1-2 only applies to your homemade weapon then §3 is different, meaning the 1 minute limit doesn't apply to the bonded weapon. It also means there is no stated time nor distance limit for how shunting objects into the extradimensional space stated. This is what I'm hoping for. If I could reform any weapon, I'd be joyous as well - then that Flame Tongue longsword would have been turned into a Flame Tongue Glaive long ago.

I suppose in the case of an enchantment that doesn't apply to a kind of weapon, I would rule that the enchantment doesn't apply if you make your pact blade that kind of weapon.
I'm on purpose trying to avoid this discussion because if I could change shape of weapons, I'd be free of issues anyway. My goal is to leave my glaive somewhere and go adventure while it is being enchanted and then once that is done I can summon the weapon to me. Extradimensional Amazon Drone Drop of a Flametongue Glaive. - I think a lot of people go with the interpretation that this is not supposed to happen because of this (2nd in Class Features): https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

Millstone85
2019-11-05, 10:11 AM
The first two paragraphs stand together, the third stands alone.The worst part of that interpretation, as supported by Crawford, is that bonding with a magic weapon does not make you proficient with it (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/834850395553816576).

Pixel_Kitsune
2019-11-05, 10:48 AM
For what it's worth, here's how it works in my group (Multiple DMs taking turns, same world type deal, so this is an agreement between three DMs, not a DM and a bunch of players).

PactWeapon by itself can be any weapon you want and you're proficient with it. It poofs if too far from you for too long. It's magical, etc.

If you bind a Magical Weapon whenever you summon that type of weapon it is always the magica weapon you bound. Like the normal weapon it poofs if too far from you for too long.

If you summon any other type of weapon you create your normal Pact weapon with only its base capabilities.

Side note: We also allow legendary and artifcat weapons but there's a quest involved and it ties your soul to the weapon, etc, etc. We've never addressed the proficiency issue because the only Bladelock that's come up is a Hexblade, so proficiency not an issue.

So, the character in question is a Hexblade/Crown Paladin. He has bound a magical longsword to himself. Whenever he needs a long sword said magical blade appears. Whenever he summons any other type of weapon he summons a black and blue shardblade type of affair be it a flail, bow or other.