PDA

View Full Version : DM Help One shot adventure. What do you think?

Trandir
2019-11-04, 06:46 PM
Ok I will DM a one shot for 3 players and it doesn't needs to be a gritty adventure but a rather silly one.

I came up with this:

In Reesie the market is always full and the docks are always busy. Wares from across the sea comes here first, every merchant, king, collectionis and adventurer comes to buy here the rarest materials and magic items.
Among the city's guilds the one with the most renown is the "Kingslayers". These mariners hunt and kill the "Kings of Usagar", beasts that have have scales harder than steel, jaws than can snap a ship in a single bite, they are more than 200 ft long and possess the innate ability to evoke storms, tsunami or hurricanes, and to produce lightnings. In the past four hundred years since the foundation of the Kingslayers 13 kings have fallen and with the 13th being a recent addition. As usual in Reesie there is a month long festival to celebrate the local heroes. The city hires cooks, poets, bards, wizards, painters, architects, circus exibitionists and more to make sure that everyone is entarteined. During this time the part of the king are for sale, prime raw materials for alchemists, armor and weapon smiths, and cooks.
During the last days of the month takes place the tresure hunt. The rules are as follows:

The registrations are opened from the beginning of the festival up to the 25th day, upon paying the entry fee the team will receive a seagull sigil and a sheet of paper, this items will make sure that everyone respect the rules and will have to be returned at the end of the festival. If someone wants to play alone the fee is 1000 gp. The fee to play in a team is 1000 plus 500 more for ever member after the first, only one sigil and one sheet of paper will be provided independently from the number of members that compose a team.
If a partecipant kills another partecipant he or she will be disqualified immediately, if the killer was in a team the whole team will be disqualified as well.
If someone takes the seagull sigil further than 50 miles from Reesie's market he or she and his or her team will be disqualified.
The winner of the hunt will be declared after a team provides all the items listed and the seagull sigil.
If anyone where to create a listed item by magic or other means he or she and his or her team will be disqualified.
Without any warning the sheet of paper will reveal this edition's items to find.
If after 72 hours from the appearence of the list no one has been declared winner one team determined at random will become this edition's winner.

The prize for the hunt is: a sum of gold equal to the entry fee payed by all the partecipants, up to four items or set of items sold togheter that the winner or winners desires from Reesie's markets, the city will cover the cost of these items, and a degustation of king's meat.

This year list:
A purple seagull alive, symbol of the city this animals have the ability to see the near future (about 30 seconds) making them almost impossible to capture by usual means, they can be seen flying around everywhere;
A bottle of "Dragon's Blood", a rare liquor famous for his deep red color and for providing a use of a 5d10 fire breath weapon to those that drink a shot of it. While rare a dwarf in the city owns more than 50 bottles and has been informed of the list, he will "gift" a a bottle to those who came there and are able to beat him in either a strenght or drinking contest (stealing is also an option). The list doesn't specify wheather or not the alcohol needs to be in it since only the bottle itself is required, not the liquid;
Taking a violet from Samuel's grave, Samuel was once an archmage now deceased. His grave is coverer by magical violets that never wither but the old wizard also put a set of 4 iron golems to guard that no one disrespect his beloved flowers;
And lastly a body part of a creature that infest the sewers.

The idea is to make the players partecipate in the treasure hunt, look for the items that the locals know but they don't. The rules also allow to steal or beat almost to death other teams to take their items so if they get something they will probably get attacked, also without the seagull sigil a team is unable to win.

Any advice?

tstewt1921
2019-11-05, 03:01 PM
If this was more than a one shot, I wouldn't have the "random winner" portion, but it being a one shot, someone should win the tournament.

Trandir
2019-11-05, 03:09 PM
If this was more than a one shot, I wouldn't have the "random winner" portion, but it being a one shot, someone should win the tournament.

It is more of a "something that would be in the event rules" rather than an actual possibility to happen.

bean illus
2019-11-05, 05:33 PM
Love it. What level?

Trandir
2019-11-05, 06:20 PM
Love it. What level?

Still to decide precisely but I was thinking around lv 10.

Should I add something else to the list? 4 items feels a little low for such an event but probably the seagull alone can take the whole session.

Maybe I should change the suer monster part for something else, it ruins the flow of city random adventure with this dungeon crawl bit.