PDA

View Full Version : Logistic question concerning the new avernus module

ladyhighlander
2019-11-04, 08:20 PM
I started playing Descent into Avernus but created the character before we knew what the DM was going for. Had I known I would've changed it. I made a halfling warlock with a fiend pact with Gargauth and I'm wondering, without any spoilers. if that will affect the story negatively. My DM is awesome and even if it did I don't think he'd make me change anything. However, If it does I may suggest to him that we change it so it'll be my idea and he won't feel bad about it.

As an aside I love this character so much.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-11-04, 10:08 PM
Why would that be a problem?

If you really did make this decision without looking into the module, your DM will understand. You asking for help here makes me think you did look into the module, which is more likely to cause problems if you approach your DM with a line like "Yea, I totally didn't know that Gargauth was going to be in this campaign, weird."

Chugger
2019-11-05, 05:11 AM
I'm DMing it, and I don't think your char choice necessarily has to "ruin" the experience somehow. A mean DM possibly could make it go badly for you, but I see nothing in the module that would force a DM to make it go badly because of your char choice.

In fact, well … I'd rather not spoil it.

POSSIBLE SPOILER referencing another book:

in these hard covers, just because you go to some horrible place, it doesn't nec. mean you show up there and just die. In Curse of Strahd you show up in a demi-plane of sorts basically owned by a vampire. But that doesn't mean the vampire right away swoops down and kills you. It's the vampire's playground, where he exists and tries to have his jollies - messing with people. You meet other NPCs, some bad and some neutral and some good - and you interact w/ them. In a general way I'm trying to assure you that these hardcovers aren't rat traps that force the DM to play "gotcha!". They're supposed to be fun. So if you have a good DM, your char is fine. Don't worry.

ladyhighlander
2019-11-05, 06:51 AM
I didn't look ahead at the module or anything. I looked at the synopsis to get a sense of the module though and since it relies heavily on Demons and the 9 hells Gargauth could possibly be a major player in it and I didn't want to subvert the story. But from what I'm getting it doesn't sound like it so I'll just leave it alone. Thank you!

Avonar
2019-11-05, 07:05 PM
I'm DMing it, and I don't think your char choice necessarily has to "ruin" the experience somehow. A mean DM possibly could make it go badly for you, but I see nothing in the module that would force a DM to make it go badly because of your char choice.

To be fair, the Avernus book gives you a ton of ways to make stuff go badly for the players. Using this is just another bonus one haha. Hell ain't fun.

Chugger
2019-11-05, 08:34 PM
To be fair, the Avernus book gives you a ton of ways to make stuff go badly for the players. Using this is just another bonus one haha. Hell ain't fun.

oh yeah. Much can go wrong - many challenges - but I saw nothing that in it that screamed out "OP's choice = disaster or very bad things." OP's choice should be fine, and hopefully DM can make it work - blend it in - make it fun and challenging.