PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DDS][Spheres of Might] The Conqueror's Handbook playtest

Mister Rex
2019-11-04, 09:15 PM
Hello everyone, long time lurker, new time author.

I'm happy to announce that The Conqueror's Handbook has gone into open playtest. It is loosely themed on the ideas of conquering, exploring, and strategy using the invasion of Rome by the Goths, the exploration of the new world by the Spaniards, and the crusades. It contains a handful of archetypes, including oathbound options for both paladin and antipaladin, as well as a number of options for spheres classes, talents, feats, magic items, artifacts using Spheres of Power, and DM resources such as a sample NPC statblock of a pet villain of mine.

I'd appreciate any eyes on this project, as I want it to come out the best it can and provide lots of fun and interesting tools for both players and DMs.

The Conqueror's Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Y0-ymgEppKSiSn3gJ90_3aIZ8CM6GtVBTa46fF9WVs/edit?usp=sharing)

Thank you all in advance. Please comment on the doc if you want to notify me in the most direct manner, and thanks for stopping by!

Mister Rex
2019-11-16, 11:04 PM
A quick update on the progress of the playtest. Many abilities have been revised and edited, the GM resource section is nearly complete (with a NPC statblock showcasing new and old content, plus a work-in-progress "sphere incarnation" template and sample, for creating epic monsters).

The changelog at the end of the playtest document is still up to date, thank you all for your help so far!

Hellpyre
2019-11-17, 12:33 AM
I notice that the fluff of the sphere incarnation template suggests free usage of the attuned sphere, but the actual abilities neither grant spell points nor (what I would have expected) a waiver on spell point costs for the attuned sphere.

Mister Rex
2019-11-18, 09:43 PM
I notice that the fluff of the sphere incarnation template suggests free usage of the attuned sphere, but the actual abilities neither grant spell points nor (what I would have expected) a waiver on spell point costs for the attuned sphere.

That section is the last thing I'm tuning up. As of right now:

Attuned Sphere (Ex): Every sphere incarnation is attuned to one sphere of power. The creature gains every talent from that sphere. The sphere incarnation is a High Caster with their attuned sphere, using their hit dice for the caster level, magic skill bonus, and magic skill defence, selects a casting tradition and casting ability modifier, and gains spell points as normal. If the sphere incarnation possessed spherecasting before gaining the sphere incarnation template, they use their casting tradition and casting ability modifier when using sphere effects from their attuned sphere, but use their hit dice as their caster level for sphere effects belonging to their attuned sphere, such that they’re always treated as a High Caster with their attuned sphere.

I believe that covers everything, and there's a now added ability that is a spell-point cost reducer for their attuned sphere. The wording I bolded would give them a spell pool/caster level for the effect equal to their hit dice (the example has a HD of 32, so it'd have a base SP of 32 / MSB-MSD of 32/ and all that jazz). Please feel free to leave a comment on the doc if you feel like there's a better way to update it, it's easier for me to change things there.

Mister Rex
2019-12-16, 05:35 PM
The playtest is starting to wrap up. I appreciate all the eyes and help I got, and am very satisfied with the product I've been able to offer forward. Thank you all and I hope to have something for you again soon. -MisterRex