PDA

View Full Version : Fast Characters

Godna
2007-10-18, 05:57 AM
Anyone else here like making a character with the shear purpose of being the fastest person in the group to get from 1 side of the field to the other, or is it just me.

My favorite would be a mixing 1 level of barbarian with warlock and the fast trait from unearthed arcana for a speed of 60 at level 1. Any fast combinations or feats i could use to increase it?

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-18, 06:04 AM
Anyone else here like making a character with the shear purpose of being the fastest person in the group to get from 1 side of the field to the other, or is it just me.

Pretty sure it's just you.

My favorite would be a mixing 1 level of barbarian with warlock and the fast trait from unearthed arcana for a speed of 60 at level 1. Any fast combinations or feats i could use to increase it?

Grab a level of psychic warrior for the speed of thought feat (+10 feet insight bonus) and the burst power (+10 enhancement bonus for 1 round, swift action). Run lets you move x5 when running, dash gives you another +5.

Catfolk is a LA+1 race with a fast speed, and some feat, I think.

Godna
2007-10-18, 06:07 AM
whats the requirement for speed of thought. Would fast speed stack with the barb 1 fast movement?

martyboy74
2007-10-18, 06:08 AM
How about this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=852524)?

Godna
2007-10-18, 06:16 AM
I'll pass on infinite loops. I want something that doesn't involve them if possible mainly because it might irk the players so i want one that is explainable by saying he took a level in this, took this feat, and/or was this race etc...

Though neat concept though

AslanCross
2007-10-18, 06:18 AM
Taking some levels in cleric (of Fharlanghn) will allow access to the Initiate of Fharlanghn feat, which increases speed by 10 ft.

Then there's Dash, which increases speed by 5 when in light armor or less, and a light load or less. The most mileage will probably come from a barbarian who becomes lawful and takes monk levels, then takes these feats.

Godna
2007-10-18, 06:20 AM
what are the requirements for dash? +what book is speed of thought in?

AslanCross
2007-10-18, 06:21 AM
Dash has no requirements.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-18, 06:22 AM
Barb for +10ft, speed of thought for +10ft, Burst for +10 ft, Dash for +5, some race for +10 ft= 75ft move before level 4.

Godna
2007-10-18, 06:28 AM
What book are catfolk and dash in?

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-18, 06:35 AM
try crystalkeep.com

Fishy
2007-10-18, 07:30 AM
If speed is *really* important to you, play as a gnome or halfling druid, and take the Elemental Companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061010a) feat. Air elementals can use their vortex power 1 round per ten minutes at level 1. Intentionally fail your save, take 1d4 damage, and you get a 100ft fly speed with perfect maneuverability. Whee!

Bender
2007-10-18, 08:15 AM
play a wyrmling white dragon: 60 ft on the ground and 150 ft fly (average) at level 5. Run for 750 ft a round.

Techonce
2007-10-18, 09:18 AM

Yeah. I've done this. At 5th level I had a monk who could outrun a cheetah. I beleive I had him hit speeds of close to 120mph a few levels more. Never actually played him in a game. It was just for fun.

It was really fun when you played with jump checks too!

Other things: Wizard or Bard with expeditious retreat.

Best build for 1st level:

Race: Xeph
Class: Wizard or Bard

Feats: Speed of Thought, Run (pick a flaw to get this)

Base of 30
Speed of thought adds 10 (insight bonus)
Burst adds 10 (Xeph racial ability, Competence bonus)
Expeditious Retreat adds 30 (enhancement bonus)

Run increases total to 400' in a round = 45 mph.

Max running long jump distance = 51' on a nat 20.
Max standing long jump distance = 23'

Any comments, corrections, suggestions?

Darrin
2007-10-18, 10:32 AM
Other speed boosts:

Wild template (Dragon #306), LA +0, adds 5' to base speed.

Animal Devotion feat, Cheetah's Spirit (Complete Champion), increase base speed 5' per every 4 character levels.

Travel Devotion feat (Complete Champion), move up to speed as swift action for 1 min.

Heroic Surge feat (Dragonlance/Wheel of Time campaign setting), extra move or attack action.

Quick Trait (UA), +10 base speed for -1 HP/level.

Hustle psionic ability (XPH), extra move action.

Cheetah Tribe Spirit feat (Shining South), charge 4x speed

Add Wildshape via Druid 5 or the Wildshape Monk/Ranger variants, and you can take Cheetah's Speed (wild feat, Comp. Div.) for 10x speed on a charge.

Add some Tome of Battle: Wind Stride boost (Tiger Claw 1 maneuver) for +10 speed as a swift action. Absolute Steel stance (Iron Heart 3 stance), +10 to speed. Quicksilver Motion (Diamond Mind 7 maneuver) gives you another move action.

cupkeyk
2007-10-18, 11:06 AM
What book are catfolk and dash in?

Catfolk are in Races of the Wild, Dash is in Complete Warrior, I think.